AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Kicking in Aikido and MMA (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23644)

Hellis 05-27-2014 12:55 PM

Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Devastating Knockout 3rd May 2014

I know this subject has been discussed before.
I was taught Aikido and kicks by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei from the inception of Aikido to the UK in 1955 - Aikido in MMA - My son `Rik hammer Ellis` and my grandson ' Jay `Prodigy` Dods have both been students of Aikido from the age of 5 yrs - I taught them both as I do `all` students - Kicking in Aikido. I thought I would share this recent professional debut win by my grandson Jay on my birthday May 3rd - It was a devastating kick in the first round, a knockout in the first round in 3 mins - 45 seconds.
Jays opponent was out cold for some 25 mins, It was a worrying time for all, Jay's opponent made a full recovery in hospital.

Jay `prodigy ` Dods ( Ellis ) has had a very successful MMA career as an amateur with - semi-pro - with 10 first round wins - The attached video is Jays professional debut at the ` Troxy ` London on Sky TV .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz6x...V-8UT1WqhwRKYQ

Regards

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Keith Larman 05-27-2014 02:18 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Wow, brutal... My jaw hurts watching that.

RonRagusa 05-27-2014 02:40 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Yeah... that hurt.

Hellis 05-27-2014 02:44 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Quote:

Ron Ragusa wrote: (Post 337265)
Yeah... that hurt.

Ron

It didn't hurt for the first 25 minutes :-(

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Krystal Locke 05-27-2014 04:42 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Your grandson has an excellent sense of ma-ai that really shows when he avoids the takedown attempt. He cleanly turned Peters' charge to his own advantage, but Peters had some effective ground defense.

I've certainly seen kicks go really badly for a fighter, and I hope your guys dont rely upon them too much. Jay was smart to come out swinging even if it was with his feet after the warning since Peters was probably expecting another humping. But the margin of error for kicks is much wider than the margin for success.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex36w5Sn2QE

I was a roamer for this event. It was at a horse arena in Corvallis. At the start of the fight, the guy's trainers were hollering for him to stop kicking so much, and he didn't listen. We all heard that awful sound. Then we had to spend a good half hour trying to maintain a path for the docs and the EMTs. Folks had to get closer so their phones could get a better picture. Fuckers.

Hilary 05-27-2014 07:15 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Yeah avoiding that first take down attempt by denying his opponent his center was elegant. Also just using the head to intrude on the other guy. Looked to me that it was really interfering with his opponent's game. Third generation martial artist in action.

Hellis 05-29-2014 09:42 AM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 337273)
Your grandson has an excellent sense of ma-ai that really shows when he avoids the takedown attempt. He cleanly turned Peters' charge to his own advantage, but Peters had some effective ground defense.

I've certainly seen kicks go really badly for a fighter, and I hope your guys dont rely upon them too much. Jay was smart to come out swinging even if it was with his feet after the warning since Peters was probably expecting another humping. But the margin of error for kicks is much wider than the margin for success.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex36w5Sn2QE

I was a roamer for this event. It was at a horse arena in Corvallis. At the start of the fight, the guy's trainers were hollering for him to stop kicking so much, and he didn't listen. We all heard that awful sound. Then we had to spend a good half hour trying to maintain a path for the docs and the EMTs. Folks had to get closer so their phones could get a better picture. Fuckers.

Krystal
That leg break was bad - maybe he did not have a sound background as bone on bone is never good.
This was young Jay's first professional fight, so a good start - he has a very impressive amateur and semi-pro record - He won one with an identical head kick, but all the others he won in the first round with a knockout and he has very heavy hands for such a young guy.
Jiro Nakazono Sensei ( son of Masahilo Nakazono Sensei ) emailed me and said `Jays posture and balance was perfection`, that pleased Jay :) Rik has been teaching Jay the head control, I was impressed with that.
Peters knew of Jay's punching ability and we knew he would want to take it straight to the ground.
Thanks for your comment and insight.

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

JP3 05-31-2014 04:14 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
I did some full contact stuff back in the day, and I gotta say, that head kick knockout was sexy in an athletic way, Henry. The ability to kick to head height with power/speed & accuracy is a very nice tool to have in the bag, but if you get one, it can turn into a too-attractive thing to try to pull out too quick or too often. That's not advice for him, just personal experience.

Now I just twist people up and push them over. Seems more civilized to have them hollering and asking me to let go than to just knock them silly or senseless.

(Most of the last bit above is tongue-in-cheek, henry. You can be very proud of that kid, he's going to be great.)

Hellis 06-04-2014 12:42 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Quote:

John Powell wrote: (Post 337406)
I did some full contact stuff back in the day, and I gotta say, that head kick knockout was sexy in an athletic way, Henry. The ability to kick to head height with power/speed & accuracy is a very nice tool to have in the bag, but if you get one, it can turn into a too-attractive thing to try to pull out too quick or too often. That's not advice for him, just personal experience.

Now I just twist people up and push them over. Seems more civilized to have them hollering and asking me to let go than to just knock them silly or senseless.

(Most of the last bit above is tongue-in-cheek, henry. You can be very proud of that kid, he's going to be great.)

Hi John

Checking in.

As you rightly say, I am very proud of young Jay who is attracting a lot of attention in MMA.

Jay has great respect for his Aikido background, he is following on a family tradition - his great grandfather Fred was the heavy weight boxing champion of the British Army ( photos on Jay Dods MMA Blog ) his great uncle Charlie was a travelling fairground take all boxer and bare knuckle fighter - his father is Rik Ellis Aikido dan grade - and the UK1 light heavy weight champion - and the icing on his cake is having a good looking grandfather :)

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

dps 06-04-2014 03:59 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 337485)
- and the icing on his cake is having a good looking grandfather :)

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

His mom's father? :)

Hellis 06-05-2014 12:22 PM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 337488)
His mom's father? :)

David

Ouch - that hurt - you found my weak spot :)

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Stefan Hultberg 06-09-2014 03:32 AM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
In terms of self-defence you should always be aware of which pants you are wearing. High kicks and tight jeans could seriously affect your fertility :crazy: Also it should be remembered that a high kick when warmed up can be quite different on a Cold Winter morning. Best stay low - especially at my age.....

Ethan Weisgard 06-11-2014 05:53 AM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Hey Stefan,

It sounds like you don't know about the Official Chuck Norris Kickin' Jeans : -)

You haven't read enough Black Belt Magazine back in the day ;-) There were great advertisements with Chuck doing his epic spinning back kick in his groovy Kickin' Jeans.

How about Aikido Jiyuwaza Jeans as an item?

Sorry for the slightly off-topic reply - I couldn't help myself, it was the coffee
talking :-)

In aiki,
Ethan

GMaroda 06-11-2014 06:04 AM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
Hah, I was thinking about those Chuck Norris Jeans too!

Maybe suwariwaza jeans? Of course, those would probably just be jeggings with knee pads and there's no way you'd get me into jeggings!

Stefan Hultberg 06-25-2014 08:29 AM

Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA
 
:D :D :D Hahahaha, Ethan Sensei

I will immediately procure a pair of those. My kicks will levitate all by themselves I'm sure!!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.