AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23460)

akiy 03-04-2014 11:22 AM

YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 


From the YouTube description: Master Ken explains why the ancient art of Aikido is inferior to his "Street Lethal" art of Ameri-Do-Te.

-- Jun

Malicat 03-04-2014 01:25 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Quote:

Jun Akiyama wrote: (Post 335666)

From the YouTube description: Master Ken explains why the ancient art of Aikido is inferior to his "Street Lethal" art of Ameri-Do-Te.

-- Jun

You beat me to it Jun. :)

bkedelen 03-04-2014 02:48 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
I was actually hoping for a good roasting. I don't think this anywhere near Enter the Dojo's best effort.

Cady Goldfield 03-04-2014 07:23 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
It seems like "Master Ken" is trying to avoid actually insulting any art and is sticking to safe jokes. He is, after all, a humorist who spoofs the martial arts while being entertaining. But IMO he sacrifices some edgy humor that he's quite capable of, in favor of not offending anyone.

Malicat 03-04-2014 08:00 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Quote:

Cady Goldfield wrote: (Post 335674)
It seems like "Master Ken" is trying to avoid actually insulting any art and is sticking to safe jokes. He is, after all, a humorist who spoofs the martial arts while being entertaining. But IMO he sacrifices some edgy humor that he's quite capable of, in favor of not offending anyone.

I do think the earlier stuff was much better. I read some background information and found out that a lot of what happened in the first season actually did happen to the actor when he moved out to New Mexico and tried to find a new dojo. I think part of the brilliance of the show was that it was partially based on things that actually happened, and now they've run out of the real life examples to use.

And yes, apparently the groin-grab sparring match was a real thing, and his partner was a woman.

--Ashley

Cady Goldfield 03-04-2014 09:16 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
There's a 17-minute excerpt on Youtube of a live "Enter the Dojo" show that he did with most of his cast, at a martial arts expo in Las Vegas last year. It was a compilation of the material he used in his various episodes, with a little bit of all of his catch phrases and routines.

Taking a bunch of 7-minute mini-TV-shows and making a half-hour live stage show from them must not have been easy. There were funny bits, but it ran out of steam quickly and "Master Ken" paced around on the stage a lot, out of his element in a live production. Needs to make it flow better and get some fresh material mixed into the old favorite stuff. It reminded me of the old Saturday Night Live characters that were funny as 5-minute sketches but didn't carry over well to a full-length feature film.

Anyway, I think he could have been nastier to aikido... and all the other MAs too. ;)

Malicat 03-05-2014 05:25 AM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Quote:

Cady Goldfield wrote: (Post 335679)
Anyway, I think he could have been nastier to aikido... and all the other MAs too. ;)

I am suddenly reminded of something we say on the mat on a regular basis. "It hurts, but not really enough, you need to move *here* to make it... OWWW!" *followed by furious tapping* "Yes! Do it like that!"

--Ashley

Millsy 03-07-2014 07:16 AM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Quote:

Ashley Hemsath wrote: (Post 335680)
I am suddenly reminded of something we say on the mat on a regular basis. "It hurts, but not really enough, you need to move *here* to make it... OWWW!" *followed by furious tapping* "Yes! Do it like that!"

--Ashley

And that's why it takes a special craziness to do aikido :)

BAP 03-09-2014 11:10 AM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Here is yet another expert analysis of aikido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVO8NLb4AQ

dps 03-09-2014 12:04 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
Quote:

Blair Presson wrote: (Post 335739)
Here is yet another expert analysis of aikido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVO8NLb4AQ

That is so funny. Ki pouch .

Adam Huss 03-12-2014 06:51 PM

Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit
 
I feel like the aikido one was the least offensive toward any martial art...which is surprising because its probably the least respected after ninjutsu. I have been wondering why its taken so long for him to do a piece on aikido. I think he's a traditional shotokan guy, but I can't remember - maybe he's an aikidoka as well, or has aikido friends and wasn't sure how to approach it.

His roast at the Black Belt HoF is pretty great.

The later seasons are still good, but I feel like the first season was the best.

My god, the comments after his "ninjutsu is bullshit" video came out. I think I saw people threaten to kill him a dozen times in just the first page of comments. People take themselves way too seriously.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.