AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2 (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23433)

Chris Li 02-23-2014 07:21 PM

Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2
 
Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2 - "Even among those of high rank, those who don’t understand don’t understand."

Enjoy!

Chris

Dazaifoo 02-23-2014 09:40 PM

Re: Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2
 
I liked this little nugget about lost information, "...winding the left and right hands in opposite directions, that have not been transmitted."

Now where have I heard that before?...

Chris Li 02-23-2014 09:45 PM

Re: Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2
 
Quote:

Scott Burke wrote: (Post 335477)
I liked this little nugget about lost information, "...winding the left and right hands in opposite directions, that have not been transmitted."

Now where have I heard that before?...

I liked that one too...;)

Best,

Chris

Ellis Amdur 02-24-2014 05:52 PM

ON the Photograph
 
One of the more interesting aspects of this article is the photograph. Generally speaking, in both China and Japan, prestige in photos is signified by how close you are to the front row and how close you are to the center. I do not know if this is true in this case, but notice that right beside the two military men are Ueshiba Morihei and Nakayama Hakudo.

Shimizu Takaji, the famous jodo instructor, is off to one side. The headmistress of Tendo-ryu, one "rank" to the side of Ueshiba, and at the other side were two of the great judo men, Isogai and Nagaoka.

This illustrates what prestige Ueshiba had at the time. Perhaps this is due to the number of generals whom he taught. But at any rate, in this photo, he's one of the two most important budo practitioners there.

Ellis Amdur

Peter Goldsbury 02-24-2014 06:01 PM

Re: ON the Photograph
 
Quote:

Ellis Amdur wrote: (Post 335490)
One of the more interesting aspects of this article is the photograph. Generally speaking, in both China and Japan, prestige in photos is signified by how close you are to the front row and how close you are to the center. I do not know if this is true in this case, but notice that right beside the two military men are Ueshiba Morihei and Nakayama Hakudo.

Shimizu Takaji, the famous jodo instructor, is off to one side. The headmistress of Tendo-ryu, one "rank" to the side of Ueshiba, and at the other side were two of the great judo men, Isogai and Nagaoka.

This illustrates what prestige Ueshiba had at the time. Perhaps this is due to the number of generals whom he taught. But at any rate, in this photo, he's one of the two most important budo practitioners there.

Ellis Amdur

Yes, I thought this too. I would be very interested to know who the rest of the people are. Any ideas, Chris?

Chris Li 02-24-2014 06:43 PM

Re: ON the Photograph
 
Quote:

Peter A Goldsbury wrote: (Post 335491)
Yes, I thought this too. I would be very interested to know who the rest of the people are. Any ideas, Chris?

No idea - the key and the names that go with it are from the interview, but it would certainly be interesting to know who the rest of the people were.

Best,

Chris

Peter Goldsbury 02-24-2014 07:54 PM

Re: Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2
 
I checked the photograph in the text and the caption states that the photograph was taken on the occasion of a budo demonstration in front of the Emperor of Manchukuo, Pu-yi. Fujita Masayoshi was the shuji 主事 of the budo association. The year 1940 was also the 2,600th anniversary of the founding of the Japanese empire by the Emperor Jimmu (we celebrated this event in Japan recently) and there was a large budo demonstration at this time, in which Morihei Ueshiba participated.

Chris Li 03-01-2014 11:36 AM

Re: Interview with Aikido Shihan Masatake Fujita, Part 2
 
Now available in Romanian, courtesy of Aikido Jurnal. The original English version is available here.

Best,

Chris


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.