AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good vids on Suwari Waza? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23409)

Dalaran1991 02-16-2014 07:16 AM

Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
My Suwari Waza needs a lot of work and our dojo time doesn't give me enough. Plus I need to practice at home moving my knees and legs in quiet concentration.

Anyone knows of some good videos on Suwari Waza? There are a bunch on Youtube but I can't tell which ones are good.

Thanks!

phitruong 02-16-2014 08:19 AM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRIBDVGnuRw this was before he blown his knees. caution: too much too soon is very bad.

Rupert Atkinson 02-16-2014 12:09 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 335294)
try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRIBDVGnuRw this was before he blown his knees. caution: too much too soon is very bad.

Didn't like it, except the 30 - 35 min basics part.

SteveTrinkle 02-16-2014 12:54 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Rupert Atkinson wrote: (Post 335295)
Didn't like it, except the 30 - 35 min basics part.

my first teacher:Takeda yoshinobu Senseihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KiPjTdPEImam, we used to do su warm waza forever Later I grew to lreally like it and appreciate it but at the time on that hard tatami my knees were bloody after every keiko

Dalaran1991 02-16-2014 01:32 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Thanks everyone. All your vids are cool. And Phi Truong I really like the tachidori in your vid.

Yeah I'm at the stage where I hate suwari waza with a (dis)passion, since I also dance salsa regularly and my knees keep giving up. But an aikidoka gotta do what an akidoka gotta do :D

Strange. All of the older yudashans I know, including my Sensei, could no longer do Suwari Waza. Is it true that there's a high potential for knee damage from this?

SteveTrinkle 02-16-2014 02:02 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Long Trinh wrote: (Post 335298)
Thanks everyone. All your vids are cool. And Phi Truong I really like the tachidori in your vid.

Yeah I'm at the stage where I hate suwari waza with a (dis)passion, since I also dance salsa regularly and my knees keep giving up. But an aikidoka gotta do what an akidoka gotta do :D

Strange. All of the older yudashans I know, including my Sensei, could no longer do Suwari Waza. Is it true that there's a high potential for knee damage from this?

TakedaShuhan's knees are still great and so are the knees of all the high ranking guys who trained under him now up to 7th dan they all did hours of suwariwaza practice and still do a lot ofit why their knees are still good, I don't know...

Ellis Amdur 02-16-2014 10:02 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Georgian suwariwaza

Rupert Atkinson 02-16-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
I used to go to the yearly martial arts demos in Korea in Chungju and there, Koreans would do shikko on a tightrope. Really, I saw it. See pic:

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/132/690/132690315_640.jpg

Alex Megann 02-17-2014 01:22 AM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Stephen Trinkle wrote: (Post 335301)
TakedaShuhan's knees are still great and so are the knees of all the high ranking guys who trained under him now up to 7th dan they all did hours of suwariwaza practice and still do a lot ofit why their knees are still good, I don't know...

Kanetsuka Sensei's knees are still very healthy, at age 73 (apart from the after-effects of a road accident three or four years ago), and he still does a lot of suwariwaza. His knees are in far better shape the those of most of the shidoin I know...

Alex

Alex Megann 02-17-2014 01:24 AM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Ellis Amdur wrote: (Post 335313)

Very impressive, but they have furry kneepads on! That's cheating!

Alex

sakumeikan 02-17-2014 10:43 AM

Re: Good vids on Suwari Waza?
 
Quote:

Ellis Amdur wrote: (Post 335313)

Hi Ellis, Great dancing , dreadful haircuts.Hope you are well.Cheers, Joe.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.