AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   "Off-The-Mat" (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Receiving Verbal Abuse. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23376)

Sojourner 02-04-2014 04:00 AM

Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
They call this policeman "the worlds most patient cop". Clearly he could have arrested this man for his abusive language but chose not to and activated a different strategy to deal with this man having a temper tantrum. If you were both a cop and an Aikidoa, would you respond in this way, or in a different way?

http://youtu.be/o_JtFBnFS1Y

Michael Hackett 02-04-2014 01:14 PM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
I have, many times. Only a very few violators go off in rants like these and most officers don't get too worked up over it. All of this man's ranting, as obnoxious as it was, didn't constitute an offense justifying an arrest. All in all, not a big thing in the realm of traffic enforcement.

Krystal Locke 02-05-2014 01:17 AM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
Quote:

Ben White wrote: (Post 334980)
They call this policeman "the worlds most patient cop". Clearly he could have arrested this man for his abusive language but chose not to and activated a different strategy to deal with this man having a temper tantrum. If you were both a cop and an Aikidoa, would you respond in this way, or in a different way?

http://youtu.be/o_JtFBnFS1Y

Look up "woofing." Woofing training makes a big difference for me. It is too much for some folks, especially if the woofer has knowledge of the person they're woofing at. Start small and work up to a big woofer over time, unless you already know you really can let the words roll off.

Eva Antonia 02-05-2014 01:33 AM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
Hi,

my brother used to say "an ear can listen to a lot of crap before it falls off".
I think that's a great motto for receiving verbal abuse...just ignore it.

Best,

Eva

Rob Watson 02-05-2014 10:38 AM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
Quote:

Ben White wrote: (Post 334980)
They call this policeman "the worlds most patient cop". Clearly he could have arrested this man for his abusive language but chose not to and activated a different strategy to deal with this man having a temper tantrum. If you were both a cop and an Aikidoa, would you respond in this way, or in a different way?

http://youtu.be/o_JtFBnFS1Y

Free speech ... we like it anyway. Abusive language is not a crime in such a context. Even if it means blowhards get to blow hard. Nice to see a professional in a position of authority not lose their poise and succumb to sophomoric pranks (dash cams are nice) or emotionally unstable high pitched screeching.

Littering is a serious problem and can carry very high fines. $1000 in my neck of the woods.

For all the kids out there let this be a lesson - just keep your mouth shut and it will all be over much more quickly. Also, drive safe.

For an evening of kicks take a listen to your local dispatch - many are online in real time.

Dave Sampson 02-07-2014 05:28 PM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 335027)
Free speech ... we like it anyway. Abusive language is not a crime in such a context..

Try saying that to a bobby in the UK. Something called affray.

Michael Hackett 02-07-2014 06:28 PM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
There are any number of nations where it would be unwise and unlawful. It isn't very smart here either. Why go out of your way to offend an individual who has a certain amount of power in the exchange? Like goosing a grizzly in a phone booth - you can do it, but it isn't the best idea.

Dave de Vos 02-08-2014 10:12 AM

Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.
 
In the Netherlands we have freedom of speech, but insulting a person is forbidden. Insulting a police officer at work can get you a 650 euro fine (1000 dollars).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.