AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anonymous (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Etiquette for changing dojo (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23374)

headscratcher 02-03-2014 03:33 PM

Etiquette for changing dojo

Good day all,

I am currently a member of a great dojo, Sensei and the other students are all fantastic both on and off the mat. Great people!

The issue is that I have bought a new house and changed jobs, and now getting there on time for class is an issue. I have to leave work a little early to make practice, fighting rush hour traffic for 30 some minutes (not a catastrophy but still a pain).

I recently discovered that there is a new Dojo that opened up near my house about a year ago (about an 8 minute walk). I recently attended a seminar with them and turns out.... they are a great group of people as well... Guess Aikido people are just nice people :)

I am currently with the CAF and this new Dojo is USAF, not sure if that's an issue or not?

Anyhow, I was wondering what is the Etiquette for a situation like this?

Is it fair to my current Dojo to change because I found a closer and more convenient Dojo?

Tim Mailloux 02-03-2014 05:39 PM

Re: Etiquette for changing dojo

If you have been at your current dojo a long time this might be a little more complicated. But considering your reasons for changing dojos I don't see this being a big deal. I would setup a time to talk with your sensei before or after class one day and explain the situation. If I was your teacher I would completely understand and would also just be happy that you were going to continue training. There is also no reason you couldn't stop by your old dojo to train every once in a while when your schedule allows.

Once you have had this conversation with your current sensei you should also ask him / her to write you a letter of introduction to the sensei of the new dojo. You don't have to do this, but it would defiantly be a positive with the sensei at the new dojo. It would also let the sensei at the new dojo know that you left your previous dojo on good terms and there is no baggage to worry about.

robin_jet_alt 02-03-2014 08:37 PM

Well, whenever I have moved, I have talked to sensei and said "I'm moving house, so I'm going to start training somewhere more convenient. Let's keep in touch and I'll be back to visit when I can." That has always been fine for me.

Dazzler 02-04-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Tim Mailloux wrote: (Post 334971)
If you have been at your current dojo a long time this might be a little more complicated. But considering your reasons for changing dojos I don't see this being a big deal. I would setup a time to talk with your sensei before or after class one day and explain the situation. If I was your teacher I would completely understand and would also just be happy that you were going to continue training. There is also no reason you couldn't stop by your old dojo to train every once in a while when your schedule allows.

Once you have had this conversation with your current sensei you should also ask him / her to write you a letter of introduction to the sensei of the new dojo. You don't have to do this, but it would defiantly be a positive with the sensei at the new dojo. It would also let the sensei at the new dojo know that you left your previous dojo on good terms and there is no baggage to worry about.

+1

Larry Feldman 02-04-2014 02:40 PM

I am sure several of my students drive past other dojos to come to class.

The reality of accessibility can't be ignored, but 30 minutes seems reasonable.

I would suggest a 'test drive' or trial period at the new place before making any decision.

original poster 02-05-2014 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback.
Tim, the fact that I have been there for a while is part of the complication. I started practicing with them 10 years ago... Although I was absent for about 6 years due to work travel. Now I have recently return 9 months ago.

Rob Watson 02-05-2014 11:01 AM

Better to train regularly than not train and maintain a empty loyalty.

30 minute drive versus 8 minute walk is hardly an inconvenience (at least to me) - good thing we all get to make our own choices.

lbb 02-05-2014 11:53 AM

I have never had a commute to dojo that was as short as 30 minutes, so that doesn't seem like a huge deal to me...but I honestly can't say what I'd do if I were faced with the choice of "30 minute drive vs. 8 minute walk", with a good dojo at either end. You're lucky to have that choice. If you're sure you want to go, I'd just take the advice that has already been offered for how best to do it gracefully.

Shadowfax 02-15-2014 05:13 PM

After 5 years of driving for 70 minutes in rush hour traffic to get to the dojo three nights a week I decided it was easier to just move my home and work lie closer to the dojo. :p Now I am less than 10 minutes away. I admit it is nicer to have freed up all of that time and gas money.

Anyway I think tht if you talk to your current sensei about this and he feels that the person leading the new dojo is a good teacher you should have no problems. Especially so if you have not yet reached shodan. Since you would be changing organization affiliations you may have to start over where rank is concerned but that really isn't a big deal.

headscratcher2 02-17-2014 03:08 PM

Thx for your input Shadowfax.
Because I moved around so much I am actually at my 3rd restart, due to association changes.

BTW, I nearly popped into the Allegheny Dojo last year when I was in Pittsburgh visiting some friends.... but decided to go to Dee's for some hotdogs and beer instead. Small would.

MMcC

Shadowfax 02-17-2014 04:16 PM

Sorry we missed you. Hope the hotdogs were good.