AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   When did you start training in Aikido ? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23263)

Lucy91 01-02-2014 03:14 PM

When did you start training in Aikido ?

Hey everyone this is my first post here. I am from Kuwait and am 22 years old and have no experience in Aikido or any martial arts. I would like to learn both Krav Maga and Aikido for fun and self defense purposes. I was wondering am I a late guy to start in Aikido ? Plus I will learn it when I turn 24 or 25 when I move to the U.S. or Canada. Wanted to know when did you start training, I mean at what age ? how long have you been training and what is your current rank

Garth Jones 01-02-2014 03:28 PM

Re: When did you start training in Aikido ?

Are you too old? Of course not. I know folks who began aikido training in their 50s and 60s. Personally I started 25 years ago when I was 22.

Millsy 01-02-2014 03:50 PM

Ha, many people start Aikido much much later than that. I started when I was 20/21ish loved it but only trained for 5 or so years before life priorities changed, then I started again when I was 35. I think I "got" things more when I started the second time and wasn't in such a rush as my younger self :)

Janet Rosen 01-02-2014 04:41 PM

LOL!!! I was 41 when I started and am about to turn 59....and wis I started in my mid-20s or even 30!
Welcome, and may your wish to train in aikido be fulfilled!

lbb 01-02-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Salah Yousef wrote: (Post 333902)
Hey everyone this is my first post here. I am from Kuwait and am 22 years old and have no experience in Aikido or any martial arts. I would like to learn both Krav Maga and Aikido for fun and self defense purposes. I was wondering am I a late guy to start in Aikido ?

Oh man, that's too funny for words.

JP3 01-02-2014 05:37 PM

I started the "first time" when I was 8 years old. My sensei had to move so his dojo closed down a couple of years later, so I went off to kick-punch hard styles to keep the teenager testosterone a place to vent, along with team sports and girl chasing.

Came back to aikido at 30 and have been doing it solidly for the past 15 years, but that's sort of a misnomer, since I was doing aikido's evil nephew, Hapkido, for the preceding 15 years. If you drop the hard-striking aspects of the hapkido, the joint manipulation stuff is very aiki if you "want" it to be.... so, I'd say that, when I've done it the "soft way" I was doing aikido, eh?

SeiserL 01-02-2014 06:24 PM

I was 44 when I started, 19 years ago.
We have a new student who is 73.

Mary Eastland 01-02-2014 06:28 PM

I was 29 when I started ...omg I have been training for 27 years. That's a little scary to write out loud.

Krystal Locke 01-03-2014 01:22 AM

Started in 1990ish, I was 25ish. Dont mind the ish, I was often drunk and/or high back in the day. I cant remember shit about that period of my life. They tell me I had a real good time.

Eva Antonia 01-03-2014 02:47 AM

Hi Salah,

when my brother started training Judo, he was eight, and I was thirteen. My parents proposed me to try, too, but I thought I was far too old to start training and the thought of practicing with 8 year olds, worse, with children smaller but more proficient than myself, was simply appalling. So the first contact with martial arts was not made.

Then there was no contact for 25 years, and I wonder how I didn't miss what I didn't know because I always had too much energy and even if there was no testosterone to throw around, apparently oestrogenes do the job as well for some.

When my son started training aikido, he was eight, and I was thirty-eight. He proposed me to try, too, and even if at that time some might have thought I was far too old to start training, I just jumped on the mat and never off it again. Astonishingly, now I don't mind at all if there are some youngsters learning quicker/ being more advanced or whatever than I. I learn, too, and that's what matters.

And there is the great advantage of having already sown one's wild oats at that age - the probability to abandon aikido for work/ love/ family is much less, since all these patterns are already settled, and you just fit in aikido in your existing way of life.

Wishing you a good start in the new year and the new art,

Eva

Andrew S 01-03-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Salah Yousef wrote: (Post 333902)
. [I ... ]am 22 years old Wanted to know when did you start training, I mean at what age ? how long have you been training and what is your current rank?

I started aikido at a couple of years younger than you are now. That was about the time you were born.
I've trained with people who were training before I was born, and I've trained with people who started at over 60.

The main advantage of starting young? You have more time to perfect your art.

barron 01-03-2014 07:43 AM

At 49, and I'm 62 now and still play with the young'uns.

LuvAikido 01-03-2014 03:47 PM

I'm 32 and I just started in October, on my 32nd birthday :p..... When you move to canada or us there are many places that have at least 1 aikido dojo in the area.... Just check when you move to ensure there is one.

Shadowfax 01-03-2014 05:19 PM

I started when I was 39. Bad knees, really out of shape, and thinking I could only train one night a week....

Starting to prepare for a shodan test to come within the year. Kind of amazed by that.

robin_jet_alt 01-04-2014 03:02 PM

I started when I was 19. No, you are not too late.

Mario Tobias 01-06-2014 03:50 PM

I started in 1990, just right about your age. Got my shodan only 2 years ago.

RonRagusa 01-06-2014 05:12 PM

Started when I was 29, 66 now. Think you're starting too late? Think again.

Ron

BJohnston 01-07-2014 02:03 PM

I started training when I was 34. I celebrated my 4 year anniversary this past December.

To quote a good friend of mine "Aikido is an art you can grow old with".

B

cmcginn 01-07-2014 08:24 PM

I was 26. I turn 64 in about a week. You are not too young.

Mark Harrington 01-08-2014 07:42 AM

I started at 49. I am having trouble thinking this is a serious question.
Quote:

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train. --O'Sensei

lbb 01-08-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Mark Harrington wrote: (Post 334046)
I started at 49. I am having trouble thinking this is a serious question.

Well, look at it this way -- the popular culture view of martial arts (i.e., movies) tends to feature characters who started training as young children. It's understandable if someone with no other knowledge or experience, and who had never actually visited a dojo (apart from a children's class), would think they might be "too old" at the age of 22, even though that has nothing to do with reality.

Rupert Atkinson 01-08-2014 01:17 PM

I started about 18. I had done some Judo before but learned nothing. The first thing I learned in Aikido was that you actually learn stuff.

GMaroda 01-08-2014 02:14 PM

19 but I only made it to 5th kyu before I stopped for over a decade. Come back sometime in my 30s and started over.

Edgecrusher 02-20-2014 11:30 AM

I started Aikido study at age 28 or 29 and will be 37 in March, so I believe you are never too old to start and it will benefit your mind and body by contiuing practice.

BWells 02-20-2014 02:07 PM

Lets see, I started at age 44, just turned 65. So age should not be a limiting factor.

Thanks
Bruce