AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Aikido After Hip Replacement (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23055)

ChristianW 10-16-2013 09:36 AM

Aikido After Hip Replacement

Hi
I'm an aikido-ka from Copenhagen, Denmark with 25 years of experience in karate and only 3 years in aikido.
I am happily married to the mother of our two daughters of 17 and 21 years. They are not into aikido. "Old mans hobby" as they say. My wife understands me better. She did karate too, but has now devoted herself to yoga.
I am a teacher and teaches gymnastics and psychology in a "second chance school".
My sensei, Ethan Weisgard, recomended Aikiweb to me as being the forum to get answers to my concern:
My hip is singing its last song. Within 1-3 years I shall have a hip replacement. In karate there are many people who returns to their karatepractise after having one, even two hipreplacements with little or no problems. Some of them continue to kick high others do not.
I have not yet found any body in aikido with a hipreplacement, and therefore i have no info.
Are there anybody out there on Aikiweb who can ease my worries: how about breakfalls on a new hip. Is that a no-go or can it be done?
Looking forward to hearing from the aiki-world.

sakumeikan 10-16-2013 11:22 AM

Re: What is hip

Quote:

Christian Winding wrote: (Post 330994)
Hi
I'm an aikido-ka from Copenhagen, Denmark with 25 years of experience in karate and only 3 years in aikido.
I am happily married to the mother of our two daughters of 17 and 21 years. They are not into aikido. "Old mans hobby" as they say. My wife understands me better. She did karate too, but has now devoted herself to yoga.
I am a teacher and teaches gymnastics and psychology in a "second chance school".
My sensei, Ethan Weisgard, recomended Aikiweb to me as being the forum to get answers to my concern:
My hip is singing its last song. Within 1-3 years I shall have a hip replacement. In karate there are many people who returns to their karatepractise after having one, even two hipreplacements with little or no problems. Some of them continue to kick high others do not.
I have not yet found any body in aikido with a hipreplacement, and therefore i have no info.
Are there anybody out there on Aikiweb who can ease my worries: how about breakfalls on a new hip. Is that a no-go or can it be done?
Looking forward to hearing from the aiki-world.

Hi Christian,
I know of two guys [Hans Hopp , Chris Moooney [shihan]who have had hip ops.They still practice but they try and avoid ukemi. I would advise going easy on the hip.For myself I am having pain on right hip, so I usually go easy on the breakfalls. Check to see if the need a fulll hip replacement or simply a partial op.Birmingham in the U.K. is good.A Dr Mc Minn , read up on him on the net for further info. Cheers, Joe.

robin_jet_alt 10-17-2013 06:11 AM

I have met people who continue to train after hip replacements. They have all slowed down to some extent, but they still manage to train effectively.

Michael Hackett 10-17-2013 09:30 AM

Andy Sato Shihan of the Aikido World Alliance has had two hip replacement surgeries and continues to teach and practice. I don't know if he's still taking falls or not though. His movement is every bit as dynamic and fluid as always. You might contact him directly through the AWA website. He is a very open person and I'm sure you will give you his views if you ask.

BWells 10-17-2013 09:45 AM

One of our students (ex marine -5th kyu around 43) has had the hip replacement. Only ukemi he doesn't do is breakfalls. He seems to be doing fine. Does aikido and cross fit.

NagaBaba 10-17-2013 01:38 PM

Re: Aikido After Hip Replacement

One of my friends had a hip replacement after 30 years of practice. He got back to the practice, teaching, rolling forward and backward happily at medium speed.

philipsmith 10-17-2013 02:57 PM

As a Physiotherapist and Senior Lecture in Sports Therapy I would suggest a hip resurfacing such as the Birmingham Hip (now the most popular arthroplasty worldwide).

Failure rate even amongst active sports people is only around 6% and a full hip replacement can always be considered if need be at a later date. I've known several Aikidoka who've had this procedure and it seems to work fine.

"Down time" is crucial i.e. don't rush back but full trainiing after about 26 weeks should be possible.

Adam Huss 10-17-2013 07:35 PM

One of my teachers has been training in the budo for 47 years. He has both of his hips replaced and still moves very well. In fact, he just taught a randori clinic at a seminar a couple weeks back. He was doing randori while teaching, lol.

sakumeikan 10-18-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Philip Smith wrote: (Post 331077)
As a Physiotherapist and Senior Lecture in Sports Therapy I would suggest a hip resurfacing such as the Birmingham Hip (now the most popular arthroplasty worldwide).

Failure rate even amongst active sports people is only around 6% and a full hip replacement can always be considered if need be at a later date. I've known several Aikidoka who've had this procedure and it seems to work fine.

"Down time" is crucial i.e. don't rush back but full trainiing after about 26 weeks should be possible.

Hi Philip,
A surgeon called Mr Mc Minn is the main man for hip resurfacing.My hips can at times give me gip[pain ],Might end up in this clinic.Dr Mc Minn s consultation are private, work might be done NHS. Cheers, Joe.

ChristianW 11-02-2013 06:21 AM

Dear All
Thank you so much for your advise and concern. I was very moved by your interest.
It was extremely nice to hear about others with similar problems and that they keep up training.
I will contact some of them.
Thanks again
In aiki
Christian Winding, Copenhagen, Denmark

Alec Corper 11-04-2013 01:39 AM

Hi Christian,
I had my left hip replaced in December 2012. I started careful training after 10 weeks. Before that I walked every hour for a while increasing the time weekly, and indoor cycling for 10 or 15 minutes. This all helped tremendously. I have started careful forward and backward ukemi from suwariwaza last month and I expect standing ukemi carefully in a month or two. No break falls again but at 61 who cares?
Try to avoid soft mats and tenkan movements where you may leave too much weight on the operated hip but fir the rest you should be able to do everything. One other thing resistance training like squats and dead lifts will help and one legged bosu ball work is vital to re educate surrounding nerves to take up new communication functions.

enjoy your new life, I do!
Alec

Peter Goldsbury 11-04-2013 03:18 AM

Hello Alec,

Glad to see that you are recovering. Carolin Funck, who instructs in our Hiroshima dojo, had a hip replacement last summer. She, too, took it very gently to begin with and can now do very gentle mae ukemi from a sitting or standing position.

Best wishes,

PAG

Alec Corper 11-04-2013 03:31 AM

Hello Peter,
thank you for your good wishes. As you may have noticed I hardly ever post here anymore, just lurk occasionally. I hope your health is good too.
regards, Alec

ChristianW 11-05-2013 01:11 PM

Dear All
Thank you so much for your advise and concern. I was very moved by your interest.
It was extremely nice to hear about others with similar problems and that they keep up training.
I will contact some of them.
Thanks again
In aiki
Christian Winding, Copenhagen, Denmark

RobLinx 06-16-2014 12:22 PM

Christian,

I trained in aikido under Fumio Toyoda Shihan for several years when I was younger. I stopped when I was in my late 20s for several reasons, primarily because my hip pain (from a congenital defect) had gotten so bad.

I finally got the hip replaced 2 years ago (at age 48), and started training in Aikido again, now under Andy Sato Shihan. I try to avoid breakfalls on that side, but in general my hip is better than it's been since before the trouble started (when I was 16). Sometimes I forget I have an artificial joint--though they're always cheerful about reminding me at airport security. ;-)

I think with careful rehabilitation and physician's advice, you will have no trouble continuing your training. For me, it has made a world of (positive) difference.

Good Luck!

Rob Linxweiler

JP3 06-22-2014 03:05 PM

I have met a few people still training and some doing relaxed ukemi to keep the skills up post total hit replacement surgery. I have a student who has one knee totally replacement done, and is staring at the other one being replaced soon. There is a rehab process, and the best one to give advice is your own doc, with you providing true and honest feedback on what you're feeling, but it IS possible.

firebladejedi 06-25-2014 06:40 AM

Hi while not in the same situation but similar, I shattered my pelvis in over 10 places around 12 years ago. I didn't have any corrective surgery and have continued to practice aikido, judo and Jiu-Jitsu and can throw and be thrown just as hard as anyone else and don't have any trouble with general mobility or break falls. I do however have to take it easy in the colder months and have a few more aches then when I was younger, however I'm sure that happens to everyone - the only trouble I really have is with side kicks, they are now really uncomfortable to do. Good luck for the future.