AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quotes (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22941)

YoshinkanStudent 09-02-2013 05:22 PM

Quotes
 
Hi guys I'm really interested in some of the quotes I hear in aikido and have made some of my own, can't remember all, so many!
Anyway one I came up with this morning

"An attacker would have hate and anger whilst he/she attacked you, yes? aikido teaches balance, so to keep the balance you need to kill them with friendship or forgiveness"
-Louis Sanguy

Would love to here some you guys have come up with or have heard.
OSU!
:ai: :ki: :do:

Krystal Locke 09-06-2013 12:32 AM

Re: Quotes
 
From a nice website. http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/aoki/K...tes/keiko.html

A great Zen master, Sawaki Kōdō, said, “Practice is like farting—only you can do it yourself; no one else can do it for you.”

And really, would you want someone else to deprive you of the pleasure?

Rupert Atkinson 09-11-2013 03:52 PM

Re: Quotes
 
"The best compliment is to out evolve your teacher." VJFoster - an old friend

"They are good at what they do, but what they do is rubbish." As above.

Robert Cheshire 09-11-2013 04:20 PM

Re: Quotes
 
One I said this past Monday night in class - I was having my students do an escape from an over arm bear hug then transition into O Soto Gari. My student (high school age guy) would roll his arms and shoulders forward as he needed to for the escape but then would kind of stick his butt to the side and kind of wiggle it to try to get out of the hold rather than "pop" his hips out and to the side. Without thinking I said "you need to pop your hips to the side. You're not a stripper trying to stick your (started with an "A" but to follow forum rules I won't cuss) butt out and shake it!" The student and the college guys he was working with had a good laugh (and he got the escape right after that!)!

mjhacker 09-30-2013 08:56 AM

Re: Quotes
 
"MYA: Move Your Feet"

Joe Ricard 10-25-2013 10:40 AM

Re: Quotes
 
"Thumbs are for throwing". Credit to my Sensei Steve W.

neb1979 03-15-2016 04:11 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Not sure where I heard it but "if you can't move your hand to your centre, move your centre to your hand".

Cheers

Derek 03-15-2016 09:40 AM

Re: Quotes
 
"Hips don't lie"
Sensei Shakira

Derek 03-22-2016 09:18 AM

Re: Quotes
 
"Slow down, you move too fast. Got to make the moment last."

Simon and Garfunkel Sensei

dps 03-22-2016 02:30 PM

Re: Quotes
 
Practice the movements on your own until you can do them without thinking (without an uke).
Do the movements with uke as if you are practicing "the movements on your own until you can do them without thinking (without an uke)".

Cycyk Sensei

dps

Tim Ruijs 04-28-2016 06:12 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Do not move fast, move only faster. :D

Do the technique without partner. Now you know what it should feel like and go try with partner until it feels the same ;)

Hellis 06-18-2016 04:23 PM

Re: Quotes
 
" No matter your pretense, you are what you are, nothing more " --. Kenshiro Abbe Sensei

I often think of Abbe SenseiI saying these words of wisdom, when I hear of people grading themselves. Or better still when they are graded by their own students.

Henry Ellis
Co-author ' Positive Aikido'
Http://britishaikido.blogspot.com
Http://tkchibasensei.blogspot.com

erikmenzel 06-26-2016 11:47 AM

Re: Quotes
 
"The deeper you go into the woods, the more nuts you will find" - Yogi Bear

jurasketu 06-26-2016 03:48 PM

Re: Quotes
 
"Don't block with your face." - Derek Duval Sensei

Cynrod 06-27-2016 11:40 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Quote:

Louis Sanguy wrote: (Post 329606)
Hi guys I'm really interested in some of the quotes I hear in aikido and have made some of my own, can't remember all, so many!
Anyway one I came up with this morning

"An attacker would have hate and anger whilst he/she attacked you, yes? aikido teaches balance, so to keep the balance you need to kill them with friendship or forgiveness"
-Louis Sanguy

Would love to here some you guys have come up with or have heard.
OSU!
:ai: :ki: :do:

There's a book by Kanshu Sunadomari shihan that I can recommend to you.and that's The Enlightenment Through Aikido. It's full of quotes that you can apply to your journey of whatever path you would like to take.

rugwithlegs 06-27-2016 03:18 PM

Re: Quotes
 
Avoid a falling rock

erikmenzel 07-03-2016 08:28 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Remember, best block, no be there.
-Mr. Miyagi-

earnest aikidoka 09-20-2016 08:12 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Your sword is your hand, your hand is your mind, your mind is your spirit.

When your spirit cuts deep, what need for a sword?

Robert Cowham 09-22-2016 05:17 PM

Re: Quotes
 
Quote:

Hansel Wong wrote: (Post 348277)
Your sword is your hand, your hand is your mind, your mind is your spirit.

When your spirit cuts deep, what need for a sword?

Teaching students?! Totally depends on "normal practice" within your dojo.

Stuff can be demonstrated in a relatively casual manner which requires plenty of uke "co-operation".

Can also be done in quite a hard manner - "resistance is futile".

Or in a softer manner where response is soft, but resistance provokes "hidden structures". Can seem similar to "resistance is futile" but actually depends on movements of uke.

YMMV

Eamon 11-22-2016 08:51 PM

Re: Quotes
 
Quote:

Louis Sanguy wrote: (Post 329606)
Hi guys I'm really interested in some of the quotes I hear in aikido and have made some of my own, can't remember all, so many!
Anyway one I came up with this morning

"An attacker would have hate and anger whilst he/she attacked you, yes? aikido teaches balance, so to keep the balance you need to kill them with friendship or forgiveness"
-Louis Sanguy

Would love to here some you guys have come up with or have heard.
OSU!
:ai: :ki: :do:

Truly inspired!

ryback 11-24-2016 07:46 AM

Re: Quotes
 
Well I have it in my signature.
"The soft is the most severe" said by Steven Seagal Sensei.
If Aikido practitioners manage to get to the bottom of that phrase, they will realize how Aikido can be soft, non violent, harmonious and yet downright effective, even deadly if need be.

tkeppers 11-26-2016 09:26 PM

Re: Quotes
 
“When you realize you are no longer made of glass, you lose the desire to demonstrate that fragility in others.” - Chris Matakas

TomAiki 12-02-2016 01:51 PM

Re: Quotes
 
Slow is smooth, Smooth is Fast ��


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.