AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   YouTube: Mori Shihan (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22808)

Marie Noelle Fequiere 07-17-2013 01:15 PM

YouTube: Mori Shihan

I just discovered this guy on youtube, and I became an instant fan.
I would like to have some informations about Mori Shihan.
How does he call his foot pinning technique? It's my favorite.

http://youtu.be/ugsS2_Z0wpA

Steven 07-19-2013 08:47 PM

Re: YouTube: Mori Shihan

http://www.yoshinkan.info/index.php?pageID=Sensei
http://www.yoshinkan.info/index.php?pageID=History

Marie Noelle Fequiere 07-20-2013 08:59 AM

Ah, thank you, Seven, I had lost hope. I will share this with the other members of my dojo, this video made quite an impression.

Alex Megann 07-20-2013 01:14 PM

"Takeno Sensei's technique felt very strong and sharp, but Master Shioda Sensei executed his technique so swiftly I hardly felt anything but one movement, then all the muscles in my body were locked instantly. It felt like a vibration went through the whole body, which was being controlled by this little old man, though I didn't feel any pain. The weight he applied before he threw was so intense it felt like I had weights dropped on me a second before my whole body collapsed"

That's Aiki!

Alex

Marie Noelle Fequiere 07-24-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 328320)
"Takeno Sensei's technique felt very strong and sharp, but Master Shioda Sensei executed his technique so swiftly I hardly felt anything but one movement, then all the muscles in my body were locked instantly. It felt like a vibration went through the whole body, which was being controlled by this little old man, though I didn't feel any pain. The weight he applied before he threw was so intense it felt like I had weights dropped on me a second before my whole body collapsed"

That's Aiki!

Alex

Indeed. Also, while I knew that the uchi deshi life was not easy, I never imaginded that it was so taxing both physically and mentally. I would not survive something like that, and I know very few people who would accept it, and yet, this constant and exhausting state of awareness paid off beautifully on the mat.

Mishll 08-15-2013 06:47 AM

I shall ask Sensei for you what he calls his toe pinning. He hasn't tried it on me yet, luckily.

Michelle

Marie Noelle Fequiere 08-15-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Michelle Braddon wrote: (Post 328938)
I shall ask Sensei for you what he calls his toe pinning. He hasn't tried it on me yet, luckily.

Michelle

What is it like, training with him? Is he as hard on his students as Master Shioda was with him?

Mishll 08-16-2013 05:22 AM

He's really awesome! Sort of strict about the etiquette, being Japanese and all, but he's very patient with beginners like myself and doesn't mind if we make etiquette mistakes. I've learned so far, if he's staring at you, you've probably got the wrong foot in front. Although he always looks really strict and mean in the demonstrations, he's not. And he never uses women as his uke. Which is a tad disappointing. I think he believes it's not proper 'Budo'. He's altered his lessons a lot for us poor Aussies, who, according to Sensei have weak knees, so we don't do much of the knee walking,(shikko? i'm still learning the language. Still can't remember left and right) and more weapons stuff, so he doesn't seem really hung up on tradition either. I've only been training at his dojo for two weeks. So I shall tell you more the moment I've found out. And apparently he's scared of Christmas beetles...

Krystal Locke 08-16-2013 05:38 AM

He doesn't use women as uke?

I'd be far more than a tad disappointed.

Quote:

Michelle Braddon wrote: (Post 328977)
He's really awesome! Sort of strict about the etiquette, being Japanese and all, but he's very patient with beginners like myself and doesn't mind if we make etiquette mistakes. I've learned so far, if he's staring at you, you've probably got the wrong foot in front. Although he always looks really strict and mean in the demonstrations, he's not. And he never uses women as his uke. Which is a tad disappointing. I think he believes it's not proper 'Budo'. He's altered his lessons a lot for us poor Aussies, who, according to Sensei have weak knees, so we don't do much of the knee walking,(shikko? i'm still learning the language. Still can't remember left and right) and more weapons stuff, so he doesn't seem really hung up on tradition either. I've only been training at his dojo for two weeks. So I shall tell you more the moment I've found out. And apparently he's scared of Christmas beetles...

Alex Megann 08-16-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 328979)
He doesn't use women as uke?

I'd be far more than a tad disappointed.

This is, unfortunately, something else my own teacher has in common with Mori Sensei, in addition to the Shioda "toe pin"...

Alex

Krystal Locke 08-25-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 328994)
This is, unfortunately, something else my own teacher has in common with Mori Sensei, in addition to the Shioda "toe pin"...

Alex

Is it a yosh thing? I cant think of any aikikai folks who have not used women as uke. I dont get out of te house much, though.

Steven 08-26-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 329232)
Is it a yosh thing?

No. It's his preference. Women in my dojo ukemi for me. Takeno Sensei's, 9th Dan, top student is female and takes a lot of ukemi for him.

Alex Megann 08-27-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 329232)
Is it a yosh thing? I cant think of any aikikai folks who have not used women as uke. I dont get out of te house much, though.

Sensei has been in the Aikikai for nearly forty years! His pickiness about his ukes started about fifteen years ago, and it's definitely nothing to do with his Yoshinkan origins.

The only Aikikai teacher I have heard of who has an actual policy of not practising with women (actually I gather he doesn't even allow women as members in his dojo) is in Florida. He is quite clear about his reasons - whether anyone else agrees or disagrees with them is apparently not something that bothers him.

Alex

Robert Cowham 08-31-2013 04:26 PM

Just because people are good at (masters of) aikido does not necessarily make them well rounded human beings, paragons of virtue, able to get on with people, politically correct or gender neutral. We are all responsible for choosing our teachers and for deciding what it is we want to learn from said teachers!

My main teacher (Inaba sensei), is very encouraging (particularly for a Japanese man - perhaps this is me showing my biases!) to female practitioners and teachers. However, his preference for embu (demonstrations) is NOT that a (typically larger) male practitioner throws around a (typically smaller) female practitioner. The other way around is fine by him! That said, I have seen him take ukemi in kenjutsu from female practitioners for an embu, particularly with an iaito or shinken - the use of weapons evens things up - sharpness, speed and focus are the key elements.

SteliosPapadakis 09-03-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Robert Cowham wrote: (Post 329561)
Just because people are good at (masters of) aikido does not necessarily make them well rounded human beings, paragons of virtue, able to get on with people, politically correct or gender neutral. We are all responsible for choosing our teachers and for deciding what it is we want to learn from said teachers!

Very well put.
:)