AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22475)

AikiWeb System 03-15-2013 03:52 PM

Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Posted 2013-03-15 15:51:47 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2013/0...medium=rss&utm

Aikido Journal is reporting that Masamichi Noro sensei (1935-2013) has passed away.

Born in 1935 in Aomori, Japan, Noro trained under Morihei Ueshiba from 1955 to 1961. He was sent to Marseille, France, in 1961 as a 6th dan to help spread aikido to Europe and Africa. In 1979, he created Kinomichi.

My condolences go out to his family, friends, students, and loved ones.

___________________
~~~ To submit a news item to AikiWeb's front page, click here. ~~~

aikishihan 03-15-2013 04:14 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and fortunate students of Masamichi Noro Shihan. We have lost yet another invaluable pioneer of O Sensei's Aikido, and can only hope that some legacy has been left to the rest of us. May Noro Sensei rest in the Peace he so richly deserves.

Hellis 03-15-2013 04:30 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Although I knew that Noro Sensei was ill - I am so shocked by this sad news.
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and students.
I was a student of Noro Sensei when he first came to Europe and the UK - he spent a lot of time in the UK in the early 1960s, we would also visit Sensei in Paris.
Another sad loss of one of Osensei's direct students.
Noro Sensei and I were almost the same age, just a few months apart.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of "Positive Aikido"
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

sakumeikan 03-15-2013 05:02 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Dear A|l,
Another aikido giant has passed away.I first saw Noro Sensei in Glasgow.He was tremendous., a flowing aikidoka dresssed al;l in white.I later met him in San Diego where he was visiting Chiba Sensei.I found him to be a most friendly and sociable man.
i do hope his students in Ki no Miichi carry on his legacy..I offer my condolences to his family and friends.May Noro Sensei rest in peace. With deepest respect, J.curran

Tom Verhoeven 03-15-2013 08:36 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Sad news that brought back memories from my earliest years in Aikido decades ago. All the movements of Noro sensei expressed a beauty and grace that I had never seen before in Aikido. His skill with the jo was awesome and is still an inspiration to me today. He moved away from the notion of Aikido as just another fighting skill and presented his art one day as a "anti-martial art". Combining art, dance, eutony, t'ai chi, feldenkrais he created Ki no Michi, an art-form that has brought much joy to those who practiced it. Noro sensei was an inspiration to many artists. I am gratefull that I have met him.
Tom Verhoeven

philipsmith 03-16-2013 02:50 AM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Another link to O Sensei lost.
I remember him visiting my parents house with Chiba Sensei in the 60's . A gentle man with an aura of calm which impressed me as a nine year -old even then .

Graham Farquhar 03-16-2013 03:23 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Here is a link to Noro sensei in the UK in the early 1960s along with some early British Aikido. Perhaps Henry could add some names to those in the clip! Also I may be mistaken but I think Noro brought the White Hakama to the UK. Which is still used by some schools for 5th dan and above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rij1u...e_gdata_player

Hellis 03-16-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Graham Farquhar wrote: (Post 324730)
Here is a link to Noro sensei in the UK in the early 1960s along with some early British Aikido. Perhaps Henry could add some names to those in the clip! Also I may be mistaken but I think Noro brought the White Hakama to the UK. Which is still used by some schools for 5th dan and above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rij1u...e_gdata_player

Graham

WOW !!
I have never seen this film/video before, all the old dan grades from the beginning are there. I will wait until Derek Eastman call round to see me ( soon ) we will try to `time and identify` as many as possible.
Noro Sensei was just amazing.
Thank you once again for adding this link.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Graham Farquhar 03-16-2013 04:54 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324731)
Graham

WOW !!
I have never seen this film/video before, all the old dan grades from the beginning are there. I will wait until Derek Eastman call round to see me ( soon ) we will try to `time and identify` as many as possible.
Noro Sensei was just amazing.
Thank you once again for adding this link.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Henry

The honour is mine. A small repayment for all the information on UK aikido history over the years. Sensei Williams stillhas a picture of Noro Sensei on the wall in our HQ.
I have sent a pm re the origin of the film and can't wait to hear back on who can be picked out.

As you say great video and a rare one of Noro Sensei

Graham

graham christian 03-16-2013 05:39 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
http://youtu.be/D41nbaWCrUE

I would like to add this link in memory of Noro Sensei as well. With deepest respect.

Peace.G.

Alex Megann 03-17-2013 02:07 AM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324731)
Graham

WOW !!
I have never seen this film/video before, all the old dan grades from the beginning are there. I will wait until Derek Eastman call round to see me ( soon ) we will try to `time and identify` as many as possible.
Noro Sensei was just amazing.
Thank you once again for adding this link.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/

Hi Henry,

Do you know who the first teacher is? The film is so old it is very hard to identify faces.

Alex

Tom Verhoeven 03-17-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Graham Farquhar wrote: (Post 324730)
Here is a link to Noro sensei in the UK in the early 1960s along with some early British Aikido. Perhaps Henry could add some names to those in the clip! Also I may be mistaken but I think Noro brought the White Hakama to the UK. Which is still used by some schools for 5th dan and above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rij1u...e_gdata_player

Very impressive images of Noro sensei ! Thank you for this link !

Tom

Tom Verhoeven 03-17-2013 06:45 PM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 324734)
http://youtu.be/D41nbaWCrUE

I would like to add this link in memory of Noro Sensei as well. With deepest respect.

Peace.G.

Never seen this one before either. Great images! Beautiful Aikido !

Thank you for the link.

Tom

Hellis 03-18-2013 07:42 AM

Re: Masamichi Noro Sensei Passes Away
 
Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 324742)
Hi Henry,

Do you know who the first teacher is? The film is so old it is very hard to identify faces.

Alex

Alex

The first teacher is Noro Sensei in a black hakama - the uke is Lennie Ballard - Noro Sensei is later wearing a white hakama on a different day - I need to spend a little time and identify everyone. I know all the original dan grades were there - including Ken Williams - Haydn Foster - Derek Eastman.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of "Positive Aikido"
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.