AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ironing a Hakama? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22416)

Marco_C 03-04-2013 10:12 AM

Ironing a Hakama?
 
Hi all,

I've trawled through the web for a guide on how to iron a hakama properly, but strangely, I can't find anything useful at all.

I would really benefit from either a video or even a set of step-by-step pictures if anyone has any?

Many thanks,

Marco

Dan Richards 03-04-2013 10:21 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Hi Marco, I'd say to iron a hakama you need to know how to iron. Shirts are ironed by following the structure. A hakama is no different. I'd say ironing a hakama is even more simple and straight-forward than ironing a dress shirt. Can you iron a shirt?

If you can fold a hakama, just iron the parts in the same sequence as you fold it. I mean, you probably smooth things out with your hands, and work from the inside to the outside. It's the same thing. Just pretend the iron is your hand.

hughrbeyer 03-04-2013 10:37 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
I hang it up damp, pin the pleats in place, and iron before taking out the pins.

Hellis 03-04-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
A good girlf friend - In my young days I always had a good girlfriend to iron my Hakama.They learned quick and just followed the exsisting folds.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

lbb 03-04-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
If the pleats aren't intact, you've got a job of work ahead of you -- but then, if the pleats aren't intact, you're probably not able to fold it, so let's assume that's not the case. My method is similar to Hugh's and Dan's: I generally wash it first, hang it to dry with a skirt hanger and pin the pleats while it's still damp, then iron in the same order I fold it (back first, inside to outside, making sure the outer seam lines up all the while.

Also, as Dan said, first you need to know how to iron. If you don't know how to iron, I'd try something other than a hakama to learn on. Start with a sheet (so you know how to get the proper setting and iron smoothly), then go on to dress shirts (do the sleeves first and the yoke and collar last), and when you're good at dress shirts, go on to a hakama.

If you're a complete babe in the woods, I guess you could try to get someone else to do it for you, but if you hope to be able to take care of your own things some day, I'd think at least you'd watch the process (and learn to iron, as noted above) in the interest of learning how to do it yourself.

ramenboy 03-04-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
i've never ironed my hakama. but i do what everyone else has stated. i hang it and pin the pleats after soaking/washing, then when its dry, i just make sure to fold it to keep the pleats.

BUT, not to hijack this thread, but what do i do about the knees? i used an iron on patch on the inside of the hakama, but the patch was too small, and now i risk more tearing around the patch

hughrbeyer 03-04-2013 02:01 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Henry, they haven't made girlfriends like that since 1960.

Jerome, get friendly with a sewing machine. Or Henry's girlfriend.

lbb 03-04-2013 02:07 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Re: blown-out knees, I'd take it to a tailor. My senseis have had a few repair jobs done by a local tailor, with good results. As long as they understand the importance of the pleats, they'll do a good job.

Janet Rosen 03-04-2013 03:04 PM

PATCHING a hak
 
Quote:

Jerome Cervantes wrote: (Post 324232)
i've never ironed my hakama. but i do what everyone else has stated. i hang it and pin the pleats after soaking/washing, then when its dry, i just make sure to fold it to keep the pleats.

BUT, not to hijack this thread, but what do i do about the knees? i used an iron on patch on the inside of the hakama, but the patch was too small, and now i risk more tearing around the patch

Patching a hakama knee: As a seamstress I am often called upon to do this and I always do it this way:
Cut a piece of matching color/weight fabric 2" - 3" larger than the weak area (so for a hole 1" long but with surrounding weak area actually 2" x 3", cut a rectangle at least 4" x 6"). Press in a 1/2" seam allowance on the patch. Pin it to the INSIDE of the hakama and neatly stitch right along the folded edge, removing pins as you go.
Turn hakama right side out. Topstitch again, 1/4 to 1/2 inch inside the original stitching. Then use a tight zigzag stitch to secure any holes and weak areas to the patch.

Janet Rosen 03-04-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Hugh Beyer wrote: (Post 324236)
Henry, they haven't made girlfriends like that since 1960.

Jerome, get friendly with a sewing machine. Or Henry's girlfriend.

:D

Not wanting to iron pleats is why I buy tetron haks. Hang them to dry as everybody else suggests, with clothespins, and no problem.

Stephen Nichol 03-04-2013 09:13 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
I got lost a the part where you wash the hakama. :o

But let's see if I have this straight:

Step one: Wash hakama.
Step two: Hang and clothespin pleats
Step three: Get girlfriend/wife/beautiful stand in to iron it
Step four: ?
Step five: profit :p

ramenboy 03-05-2013 09:41 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Hugh Beyer wrote: (Post 324236)
Henry, they haven't made girlfriends like that since 1960.

Jerome, get friendly with a sewing machine. Or Henry's girlfriend.

hahahahahahahah touché! thanx hugh

mary, thanx. looks like a tailor is my next option. and on that note, janet, if you were closer, i'd bring my hakama to you with my blessings!

will check into some of the local ones here...new knees AND an ironed hakama. woohoo

Janet Rosen 03-05-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Jerome Cervantes wrote: (Post 324265)
mary, thanx. looks like a tailor is my next option. and on that note, janet, if you were closer, i'd bring my hakama to you with my blessings!

My advice is: don't let them try to convince you to go with an iron-on patch. Tell them you'd like a proper cloth patch well stitched on.

Hellis 03-05-2013 10:54 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Hugh Beyer wrote: (Post 324236)
Henry, they haven't made girlfriends like that since 1960.

Jerome, get friendly with a sewing machine. Or Henry's girlfriend.

Hugh

You are almost right :-)
A pretty girl that could iron a Hakama was a treasure and the envy of all the other dan grades.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

Krystal Locke 03-05-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Well, I am one out of two there. I CAN iron a hakama, but I really dont see why anyone would need to. All the hakama I have had have never needed it. The fabric is heavy enough to not wrinkle much, and hanging takes care of the rest.

Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324272)
Hugh

You are almost right :-)
A pretty girl that could iron a Hakama was a treasure and the envy of all the other dan grades.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls


Dan Richards 03-05-2013 12:55 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324272)
A pretty girl that could iron a Hakama was a treasure and the envy of all the other dan grades.

Ha! Oh, how times have changed. We seemed to have progressed to:

A pretty girl in a hakama who can kick butt is a treasure and envy of all the other dan grades.

Hellis 03-05-2013 02:22 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Dan Richards wrote: (Post 324279)
Ha! Oh, how times have changed. We seemed to have progressed to:

A pretty girl in a hakama who can kick butt is a treasure and envy of all the other dan grades.

I NEVER mentioned a girl in a hakama or a student - just a girlfriend.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

Hellis 03-05-2013 02:24 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 324275)
Well, I am one out of two there. I CAN iron a hakama, but I really dont see why anyone would need to. All the hakama I have had have never needed it. The fabric is heavy enough to not wrinkle much, and hanging takes care of the rest.

Krystal

The hakama of the 1950s were not like the fabric of today - we often compared the material to a secondhand army blanket.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

Krystal Locke 03-05-2013 03:35 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Well, what did you do with the girlfriend once you got yourself one of these newfangled hakama?

Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324283)
Krystal

The hakama of the 1950s were not like the fabric of today - we often compared the material to a secondhand army blanket.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls


Hellis 03-05-2013 03:46 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 324289)
Well, what did you do with the girlfriend once you got yourself one of these newfangled hakama?

Progress never made a pretty girl redundant - we not only had the `new hakama ` we also had the amazing new technology of the steam iron - I am all for making a womans life easier.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

Malicat 03-05-2013 04:45 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 324291)
Progress never made a pretty girl redundant - we not only had the `new hakama ` we also had the amazing new technology of the steam iron - I am all for making a womans life easier.

Henry Ellis
Co-author of `Positive Aikido`
Aikido Controversy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuDqKOjnls

It's moments like this that remind me why I am single. :)

--Ashley

lbb 03-05-2013 08:02 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
As stated in "The Ballad of Erica Levine":

Basic needs at your age should be met by you,
I'm your lover, not your mother - let's be careful what we do.

hughrbeyer 03-05-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Hey, is that the one that talks about picking an apartment--"yours has rent control, mine's on the subway line."

Krystal Locke 03-06-2013 12:20 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Ashley Hemsath wrote: (Post 324293)
It's moments like this that remind me why I am single. :)

--Ashley

Or me, glad that I'm gay.

lbb 03-06-2013 08:18 AM

Re: Ironing a Hakama?
 
Quote:

Hugh Beyer wrote: (Post 324298)
Hey, is that the one that talks about picking an apartment--"yours has rent control, mine's on the subway line."

Right in one! Great song.

As my mom used to say, "If you're not old enough to take care of it, you're not old enough to have it."


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.