AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Weight shift... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22132)

HL1978 01-04-2013 04:13 PM

Weight shift...
 
So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.

Mark Jakabcsin 01-25-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Several years ago at a seminar Vladimir and I were watching a couple of guys training. He asks me what I see about them. I look for awhile and I see a couple of new guys, motion okay for new, stiff but moving and training hard. I am frustrated as I know this is not what Vlad wants me to see but I am stumped. I finally give my weak answer and he shakes his head like I am.......a short bus kid. He provokes me to look/see several more times but this slow kid ain't getting it so he tells me to look at how they are when they are doing the drill and compare it to when they are done with the drill, getting up off the floor and repositioning for another go. I finally see what he means. It was like each person was two different people in how they moved. One person doing the drill and another immediately after the drill.

Vlad then says, "You cannot walk one way, every day of your life and then expect at your greatest moment of need that you will walk a different way." (or words to that affect).

Take care,

Mark J.

chillzATL 01-25-2013 07:43 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Hunter Lonsberry wrote: (Post 321482)
So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.

walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.

phitruong 01-25-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Mark Jakabcsin wrote: (Post 322631)
Vlad then says, "You cannot walk one way, every day of your life and then expect at your greatest moment of need that you will walk a different way." (or words to that affect).

Take care,

Mark J.

ooooo i got to remember that one. hey can you ask Vlad to say that in Russian so i can impress folks when i repeat that in Russian. probably sound cooler too and could even get the lady named Wanda excited. :)

this related to the discussion in the external vs internal thread on efficiency.

Cliff Judge 01-25-2013 10:25 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Hunter Lonsberry wrote: (Post 321482)
So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.

"Okay, here I come with my sword! I sure hope you don't cut me just as I am flat-footed because that would suck! Okay we're right up on each other now! I am about to cut you, okay? I am about to cut your right shoulder! Please just stand there until I am finished!" :)

Cady Goldfield 01-25-2013 10:38 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Think "propel" instead of "walk." What dynamics do you know that will allow you to create opposing forces to create propulsion in your lower body without having to shift mass? And Phi had better not say "Kim chee."

Janet Rosen 01-25-2013 11:06 AM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Cady Goldfield wrote: (Post 322640)
Think "propel" instead of "walk." What dynamics do you know that will allow you to create opposing forces to create propulsion in your lower body without having to shift mass? And Phi had better not say "Kim chee."

:D

James Sawers 01-25-2013 01:43 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Mark Jakabcsin wrote: (Post 322631)
he shakes his head like I am.......a short bus kid.

Mark J.

Actualy saying such an insult in a public forum does indeed show how far below a so-called "short bus kid" you are.

Mark Jakabcsin 01-25-2013 04:34 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

James Sawers wrote: (Post 322648)
Actualy saying such an insult in a public forum does indeed show how far below a so-called "short bus kid" you are.

Sorry I offended you James, or anyone else. That was a lame attempt at humor. My bad.

Mark Jakabcsin 01-25-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 322633)
walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.

Actually I think Vlad's comment was not so much about the mechanics of walking, although those are important as well, but more about who and what we are at all times.

Mark Jakabcsin 01-25-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Sorry got distracted and did not complete my previous post. While Vlad was talking about more than just the mechanics of walking his point is valid that if we want to move or be a certain way at the moment of our greatest stress then we have to move like that all of the time.

Using this concept I see that every movement I make is a training opportunity. Hunter's drills a good and can be done throughout the day.

Rob Watson 01-25-2013 05:29 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 322633)
walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.

Funny, I don't walk like that. I walk like those walking robots ... front leg pulls the back leg forward while driving the back leg heel as it leads the movement forward. As the once rear leg moves to the front and touches the ground the weight shits to that leg - repeat. No falling only what looks cumbersome is remarkably stable and very difficult to hold me back or prevent me from walking by pushing from the front. I can smoothly drag people (or dumb loads, too) along or plow them out of the way - or both. I do tend to have a sideways weight shift but I'm working on making that smaller ... baby steps.

Of course, I'm large and scarey looking so maybe they are just getting out of my way on their own accord.

Walking is very fruitful ground for investigations of all kinds.

Rob Watson 01-25-2013 09:40 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
For example @~5 min mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_RiKz7AfHY
And here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cGxipO_IA

Rob Watson 01-25-2013 09:57 PM

Re: Weight shift...
 
Obligatory robot vid ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaAiujrX_Y


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.