AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21405)

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 05:24 AM

Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei
 
I don't know anything about Morito Suganuma (8th dan), but I really like his instruction in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZZNd...ture=endscreen

I think I'll review it every now and then, when I feel the need to recieve instruction at home.

sorokod 06-08-2012 05:39 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 06:03 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

David Soroko wrote: (Post 310685)
Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"

I don't know, I didn't even notice that (I'm just a 4th kyu).

I don't think there really are "Aikikai things". There are so many different lineages within aikikai, which can differ just as much as different aikido styles differ.

Perhaps there exist such things as "Aikikai Hombu Dojo things", I don't know. Although our organisation is under aikikai, we are not affiliated with a shihan that teaches at the Hombu Dojo. And I don't know if Suganuma is from the Hombu Dojo.

sorokod 06-08-2012 06:27 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
I retract my Aikikai thing comment (if that is possible). Still, in martial arts things must be done for a reason or not done at all. I am wondering what the reason for stepping back is.

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 06:36 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
The aikikai lineage shihan of our organisation is Shimamoto Katsuyuki 8th dan.
We also have a Hombu Dojo teacher visiting every year, Kobayashi Yukimitsu 7th dan, but he's more like a guest instructor.

I do think that Suganuma's instruction feels a bit more similar to Kobayashi's than to Shimamoto's, but I can't tell you why exactly. Perhaps it's more a matter of attitude than form. Also, my perception of form is not yet as sharp as yours.

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 06:43 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

David Soroko wrote: (Post 310688)
I retract my Aikikai thing comment (if that is possible). Still, in martial arts things must be done for a reason or not done at all. I am wondering what the reason for stepping back is.

Oh, no need at all for that. I wasn't offended in any way by the aikikai thing comment (though I can imagine my quoting giving that impression).

I can't comment on the stepping back, but I'll watch the video again to see what you mean.

sorokod 06-08-2012 06:45 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Just looked at the first youtube hit for "Aikido doshu" which was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAzxH-7DYw

He is doing exactly the same.

Adam Huss 06-08-2012 07:04 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

David Soroko wrote: (Post 310685)
Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"

To me it looks like a "creating space for the next technique" thing. Maybe even stepping back to switch sides, though thats hard to tell in the video. The aikikai is such a large and varied organization I would think you would be hard pressed to find any movement that everyone does the exact same way.

JJF 06-08-2012 07:06 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

David Soroko wrote: (Post 310685)
Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"

Well.. aikido is best displayed when there is a distance between uke and nage so that nage can gain momentum for the attack, and I believe they want to stay within the camera angle, so my guess is he is getting into a good position to receive the next attack.

In beginner training walking backwards is not encouraged (at least not in my dojo). In a situation with more flow you take the steps necessary to stand in the best possible position taking all attackers (and cameras) into consideration..

At least that's how I would interpret it.

robin_jet_alt 06-08-2012 07:16 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

Adam Huss wrote: (Post 310694)
To me it looks like a "creating space for the next technique" thing. Maybe even stepping back to switch sides, though thats hard to tell in the video.

I agree. It's because demonstration techniques look better when uke is able to "wind up" a bit. He is just giving his uke room to do that so that the techniques look prettier.

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 07:51 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
After watching the video again and reading the later comments I think I understand what David means by stepping back. I also think Suganuma is simply repositioning himself for the class and the camera.

The video seems to be more about instruction than demonstration, so I suppose Suganuma is more concerned with not blocking the view than being pretty, though.

Russ Q 06-08-2012 04:13 PM

Re: Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei
 
If you go to Fukuoka this is what you will see.....a very crowded dojo and Suganuma Sensei going around to teach everyone, being very patient, mostly working with kyu ranks, taking ukemi etc. He is definitely one of the most giving teachers (of Japanese lineage) that I've come across. Always makes sure there is time for Q&A during seminars. He travels the world to do seminars and is coming to Vancouver at the end of October this year to visit. Touching him is like grabbing iron through spongy flesh...I always find his positioning to be near perfect and it never any problem taking ukemi for him. He has great concern for uke's welfare so you can attack full on and know you're not going to get broken.

Dave de Vos 06-08-2012 04:48 PM

Re: Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei
 
Quote:

Russ Qureshi wrote: (Post 310715)
If you go to Fukuoka this is what you will see.....a very crowded dojo and Suganuma Sensei going around to teach everyone, being very patient, mostly working with kyu ranks, taking ukemi etc. He is definitely one of the most giving teachers (of Japanese lineage) that I've come across. Always makes sure there is time for Q&A during seminars. He travels the world to do seminars and is coming to Vancouver at the end of October this year to visit. Touching him is like grabbing iron through spongy flesh...I always find his positioning to be near perfect and it never any problem taking ukemi for him. He has great concern for uke's welfare so you can attack full on and know you're not going to get broken.

When I looked up his name I found that next month he will give a seminar in the Netherlands. Actually I was already considering going there, but I didn't know the teacher of that seminar. Just a couple of hours ago I found they are one and the same person. :o

Now I definitely want to go to that seminar!

Carsten Möllering 06-09-2012 07:49 AM

Re: Nice instruction video
 
Quote:

David Soroko wrote: (Post 310692)
Just looked at the first youtube hit for "Aikido doshu" which was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAzxH-7DYw He is doing exactly the same.

Aikido aikikai shihan: Endo Seishiro, All Japan Aikido Demonstration this year. Different?

sorokod 06-09-2012 04:27 PM

Re: Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei
 
Yes, different.

Russ Q 06-10-2012 12:25 AM

Re: Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei
 
Quote:

When I looked up his name I found that next month he will give a seminar in the Netherlands. Actually I was already considering going there, but I didn't know the teacher of that seminar. Just a couple of hours ago I found they are one and the same person.

Now I definitely want to go to that seminar!
Go. You won't be disappointed.

cheers,

Russ


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.