AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Purchasing a Hakama (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21215)

Nafis Zahir 04-18-2012 03:31 PM

Purchasing a Hakama
 
I am looking to purchase an hakama. As my funds are limited, I found two local companies and wanted to know if anyone has purchased from them before and what are your thoughts. The two companies are Nine Circles USA and Aikido 24. I am interested in their cotton hakamas. Thanks!

Steven 04-18-2012 04:24 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Last one I bought was from e-bogu.com
http://www.e-bogu.com/Aikido-Hakama-s/131.htm

Been very happy with it and they embroider as well. I have the soft koshida and the longer himo so I can tie it off in the front.

Shadowfax 04-19-2012 05:56 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Someone in our dojo ordered one from Aikido 24 and has had a few problems. I guess they got swamped with orders for Bu Jin stuff and they are having some issues with their tailor. But they seem to be trying to make it right for him. The new but wrong size Bu Jin they sent does not look as nice as the old Bu Jin Stuff.

Tozando is currently having a spring sale on them that might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.

Carsten Möllering 04-19-2012 06:07 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 307726)
might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.

What' s wrong with bying "in Japan"?

Shadowfax 04-19-2012 06:11 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Carsten Möllering wrote: (Post 307727)
What' s wrong with bying "in Japan"?

Nothing is wrong with buying in Japan. But the cost of shipping is a bit much. ;)

Carsten Möllering 04-19-2012 06:53 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Ok, yes: I am so used to it, I didn't consider that. Sorry.

inframan 04-19-2012 08:54 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Nine Circles is a great company, customer service is great, they are great at answering any questions about thier products.

GMaroda 04-19-2012 03:51 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 307726)
Someone in our dojo ordered one from Aikido 24 and has had a few problems. I guess they got swamped with orders for Bu Jin stuff and they are having some issues with their tailor. But they seem to be trying to make it right for him. The new but wrong size Bu Jin they sent does not look as nice as the old Bu Jin Stuff.

Tozando is currently having a spring sale on them that might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.

I'd be the one she's talking about. While it does take awhile to get things made, it does happen. And while they aren't the same as the old Bu Jin, they're still nice. Plus, they really have been working hard at trying to make sure I have a hakama I'm happy with.

I've also had problems with Tozando, but since it was the same problem I had with Bu Jin (the hakama was shorter than I expected), I can only conclude I've been wearing it wrong. Then again, if when I try to adjust it's still short and unstable.

Both are good companies, but be sure you know exactly what you're ordering before you do so. My old +3 Hakama of the Ancients was already missized and I seem to have picked up some bad wardrobe habits from it. Don't Do What Greggy Don't Does. ;)

BTW, I've decided to keep both even though they don't fit. If anyone is looking for a 34" long new hakama....

Shadowfax 04-19-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Greg Maroda wrote: (Post 307745)

Both are good companies, but be sure you know exactly what you're ordering before you do so. My old +3 Hakama of the Ancients was already missized and I seem to have picked up some bad wardrobe habits from it. Don't Do What Greggy Don't Does. ;)

I don't think the conclusion we reached in the dojo the other day was that you are wearing it wrong. It is more that you wear it in a different place on your body than is anticipated by the measurement instructions. For those who have an old hakama the better idea would be to measure from the bottom of the koshita, the length to your ankle when you have the old one on instead of just from you hip bone. For those who do not yet own a hakama... maybe borrow one to try on.

phitruong 04-20-2012 06:29 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Greg Maroda wrote: (Post 307745)
I've also had problems with Tozando, but since it was the same problem I had with Bu Jin (the hakama was shorter than I expected), I can only conclude I've been wearing it wrong. Then again, if when I try to adjust it's still short and unstable.
.

you definitely don't want to wear an unstable hakama. it might explode and makes you do ukemi for no good reason at all. and the way to deal with short hakama is to cut it further up above the knee. it looks better that way. :D

fremoy 04-20-2012 06:50 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
I've had cotton and the polyester mix and find the polyester hangs more straight and less prone to hold dirt and creases. It has a darker finish to cotton too. I'm going to buy another polyester and have the cotton for backup.

Janet Rosen 04-20-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Mark Gorman wrote: (Post 307761)
I've had cotton and the polyester mix and find the polyester hangs more straight and less prone to hold dirt and creases. It has a darker finish to cotton too. I'm going to buy another polyester and have the cotton for backup.

Tetron is even better!

GMaroda 04-20-2012 04:55 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 307754)
I don't think the conclusion we reached in the dojo the other day was that you are wearing it wrong. It is more that you wear it in a different place on your body than is anticipated by the measurement instructions. For those who have an old hakama the better idea would be to measure from the bottom of the koshita, the length to your ankle when you have the old one on instead of just from you hip bone. For those who do not yet own a hakama... maybe borrow one to try on.

Wrong is perhaps a bit strong, but yes, I do wear it on a different place than the measurements asked for would suggest. Of course, that's because my old hakama, the one I've had since 1995, never fit me to begin with! :D

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 307760)
you definitely don't want to wear an unstable hakama. it might explode and makes you do ukemi for no good reason at all. and the way to deal with short hakama is to cut it further up above the knee. it looks better that way. :D

Oh, no. It's short from the bottom and unstable from the top! That's even worse! It falls down and makes you do ukemi for good reason: getting out of the room before everyone realizes you go commando under your skirt!!!!!

Nafis Zahir 04-21-2012 11:08 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Thanks for all of your comments. I have been a long time user of Tozando. But due to the economy, the value of the dollar tanking, and the extreme S & H cost, I have decided to buy local. I did not want a BuJin hakama because they are not the same. I was going to purchase the cotton hakama that is not listed as BuJin on the Aikido24 site.

The Trenton hakama was also mentioned. I did have one before, but it seems to me to be better suited as a back up hakama. It just seems a little cheesy. If anyone has had theirs for a long time, please let me know and I might consider it. Right now, I am leaning towards Nine CIrcles. My last option is to drive to Baltimore to the Kyotot store and purchase one from there.

Nafis Zahir 04-21-2012 11:09 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 307772)
Tetron is even better!

But does it last and for how long?

Janet Rosen 04-21-2012 04:23 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Nafis Zahir wrote: (Post 307801)
But does it last and for how long?

Can't answer for ANY fiber - too many variables in how folks use them, climate, etc. Some people will rip anything to shreds within a few years. Others won't.

mathewjgano 04-21-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 307811)
Can't answer for ANY fiber - too many variables in how folks use them, climate, etc. Some people will rip anything to shreds within a few years. Others won't.

Well I just replaced my lost hakama with the tetron one from ebogu. It was very affordable so I ordered it a few days ago. Got it today so I'm looking forward to putting it to the test this week, as well as our Aiki Taisai on the weekend!!!

john.burn 05-01-2012 11:01 AM

Re: Purchasing a Hakama
 
I'd still highly recommend the 'new' Bujin ones from Aikido24... I bought the heavyweight cotton one in blue and it's virtually identical to my old Bujin ones - the only noticeable difference was that they now stitch the inner pleats (not the front visible ones).

Basically, they are still great quality IMHO.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.