AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sewing a Hakama ..? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20969)

lars beyer 03-10-2012 03:41 AM

Sewing a Hakama ..?

Hello everybody,

I have wondered where it is possible to find a good pattern for sewing my own Aikido Hakama..
(nonono.. not zebra or camouflage.. just plain durable black or blue hakama.. )
Any ideas would be appreciated.. maybe also knowledge on suitable fabric..? :)

In aiki,
Lars

PhilMyKi 03-10-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Sewing a Hakama ..?

At the bottom of some pages there is a sponsored link for Budo Bear - have a look. Given the increasing price of cotton / greige etc not sure if it the most cost effective way forward though. Good luck all the same.

Janet Rosen 03-10-2012 02:06 PM

Budo Bear is Round Earth (Carol Shifflett of Ki Exercises book fame)
http://www.round-earth.com/
I vouch for the hak pattern having proofed it and rewritten the instructions some years ago :-)

lars beyer 03-10-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 305161)
Budo Bear is Round Earth (Carol Shifflett of Ki Exercises book fame)
http://www.round-earth.com/
I vouch for the hak pattern having proofed it and rewritten the instructions some years ago :-)

Sounds great to me, Ill give it a try. Thanks a lot Janet and PhylMyKi :)
Regards
Lars

Janet Rosen 03-10-2012 06:56 PM

For fabric a medium weight cotton twill is best.

lars beyer 03-11-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 305171)
For fabric a medium weight cotton twill is best.

Ok, you mean like denim, but lighter..?

Janet Rosen 03-11-2012 11:26 AM

yes, lighter weight and also softer with more drape.

JJF 03-12-2012 03:46 AM

I've made two hakamas myself some years back. No pattern - just a measuring stick and somebody elses hakama as a template. Took some math work since the dimensions for fabric I could buy differed from what was used on the original.

It was okay and a lot cheaper than buying one of those insanely expensive hakamas from the shops. However I wouldn't do it again.

BTW: for material inside the Koshita I used old vinyl samples. I tried first to dip them in boiling water thought to make sure they could survive washing.

Also remember to wash the fabric before sewing the hakama. I forgot that on the first one I made, and it turned out to short for me.

JJ

Janet Rosen 03-12-2012 11:02 AM

Best thing i ever found for inside koshita is plumbers gasket (soft, pliable vulcanized rubber sheeting)

lars beyer 03-12-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: (Post 305262)
I've made two hakamas myself some years back. No pattern - just a measuring stick and somebody elses hakama as a template. Took some math work since the dimensions for fabric I could buy differed from what was used on the original.

It was okay and a lot cheaper than buying one of those insanely expensive hakamas from the shops. However I wouldn't do it again.

BTW: for material inside the Koshita I used old vinyl samples. I tried first to dip them in boiling water thought to make sure they could survive washing.

Also remember to wash the fabric before sewing the hakama. I forgot that on the first one I made, and it turned out to short for me.

JJ

Hi Jacob
Thanks for your advice :)
Mange tak

Fred.. (peace) :P
Lars

lars beyer 03-12-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 305289)
Best thing i ever found for inside koshita is plumbers gasket (soft, pliable vulcanized rubber sheeting)

Plumbers gasket...... ok wait.. Plumbers gasket.. !? :eek: !!??

robin_jet_alt 03-12-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Lars Beyer wrote: (Post 305310)
Plumbers gasket...... ok wait.. Plumbers gasket.. !? :eek: !!??

Well the top quality ones use rubber sheet. It sounds like it would work beautifully.

lars beyer 03-12-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 305314)
Well the top quality ones use rubber sheet. It sounds like it would work beautifully.

:) Ok thanks

Simone 03-13-2012 01:29 AM

Dear Lars,

I've also done two black hakama by myself. No pattern, used the width of the fabric for the width of one leg. Fabric was viscose-polyester-blend twill. The second was even a bit elastic... (liked this after a little while). For the koshita I experimented with various things but best (in my opinion) is, as already mentioned, a thick rubber plate (seal plate?).

I've both worn until the knees split and one is now patched and serves as my spare hakama. I have to admit the one I'm wearing currently I bought. but only because I got the chance to go to Tozandos in Kyoto. They are much cheaper there than over here in Germany.... (but only if you don't count the costs of the trip... ;-))

Good luck!
Simone

lars beyer 03-13-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Simone Koerner wrote: (Post 305356)
Good luck!
Simone

Dear Simone,
Thanks a lot for your comment, I will see what I can do.. Thanks
Regards
Lars