AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Calvin Klein Dogi Bottoms (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20961)

PhilMyKi 03-09-2012 07:02 AM

Calvin Klein Dogi Bottoms

Before you fashionistas out there trawl the internet looking for CK kit ... ...

In my eagerness to get out last night I only packed my jacket, as a consequence and not wanting to drive all the way home I decided to give training in my jeans a go. Despite the waist band being too big and the constant need to pull them up I quite enjoyed the experience. I also am quite pleased to note that it was not too much of a detriment to my aikido.

Whilst I do not advocate training in your normal day wear too much; has anyone else done this (either through design or otherwise)? What were your thoughts and would giving it a go occasionally add value to your practise?

(I wonder if I could pull it off in a Canali suit? :D :D )

Malicat 03-09-2012 07:08 AM

Re: Calvin Klein Dogi Bottoms

Quote:

Philip Purcell wrote: (Post 305040)

In my eagerness to get out last night I only packed my jacket, as a consequence and not wanting to drive all the way home I decided to give training in my jeans a go. Despite the waist band being too big and the constant need to pull them up I quite enjoyed the experience. I also am quite pleased to note that it was not too much of a detriment to my aikido.

Whilst I do not advocate training in your normal day wear too much; has anyone else done this (either through design or otherwise)? What were your thoughts and would giving it a go occasionally add value to your practise?

I actually run directly from a literature class that ends at 6:30 to my Aikido class that starts at 6:00 this semester. So Mon and Wed nights I train in "street" clothes and make up. Tues, Thurs, and Sat I train in my normal gi and am freshly showered. :) There is a difference in how you move in a gi vs street clothes. Movement is restricted, plus it's just a different "feel." I am of the opinion this is a good idea on occasion for a real world feel, unless there are folks out there who love to wear a gi so much they wear one regularly.

--Ashley

Chris Li 03-09-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Philip Purcell wrote: (Post 305040)

About half of the group training that I do is in regular clothing. I like it, and I like the relaxed atmosphere that it engenders.

The standard keiko-gi was originally intended to be a sweatsuit - a more durable version of regular street clothes for working out. Somehow, things have moved away from that...

Best,

Chris

Michael Douglas 03-09-2012 10:06 AM

Philip you could've worn only your undies and a gi top and told everyone you were doing Sambo.

Russians have no fear of thighs.

PhilMyKi 03-09-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Michael Douglas wrote: (Post 305056)
Philip you could've worn only your undies and a gi top and told everyone you were doing Sambo.

Russians have no fear of thighs.

I would have scared away the few female members we have.:yuck: