AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20866)

jamie yugawa 02-15-2012 10:25 AM

Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
I was wondering where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from? Also does anyone know where does Iwama Shin-Shin Aiki Shuren-kai purchase their weapons from? I was curious to see if there was an official "Iwama" weapon distributor.

jamie yugawa 02-15-2012 10:27 AM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Also I wanted to know if anyone knows where to purchase a good tanren bokken also. These seem to be hard to find. Thank you.

gates 02-15-2012 04:38 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
There used to be a local guy. He passed away a couple of years back.
Bokkenshop.com do a reasonable Iwama style bokken.

kewms 02-15-2012 05:01 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Kingfisher offers an Iwama-style bokken. Their weapons are excellent (and expensive) in general, but I can't comment on the Iwama specifically.

Katherine

Janet Rosen 02-15-2012 06:46 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Kim Taylor also does an Iwama style bokken and his are very reasonably priced and of excellent quality.
http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_bokuto.htm

Carl Thompson 02-15-2012 10:03 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Quote:

Jamie Yugawa wrote: (Post 303142)
I was wondering where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from? Also does anyone know where does Iwama Shin-Shin Aiki Shuren-kai purchase their weapons from? I was curious to see if there was an official "Iwama" weapon distributor.

Hello Jamie.

There are local suppliers but for the old dojo in Iwama, the answer is "no" regarding an official distributor. This is from the F.A.Q. section of the dojo website:

Quote:

Q: Can I buy a bokken (wooden sword) and jo (wooden staff) from the dojo?
A:No. Ibaraki Shibu Dojo is a non-profit dojo and therefore does not sell any merchandise. However, if you need to buy a bokken or jo, the sempai (senior students) will help you order from the appropriate catalogues
I would add my own annotation here that no particular catalogue is officially recommended or favoured and that there are also some places to buy local, including craftsmen of similar quality to the gentleman in Tsukuba who has now retired. Even the little café in front of Iwama station sells aikido equipment but I'm not aware of anyone setting up a business selling bokken and jo outside of the region. If there were one, I think it unlikely that such a business would be endorsed by the Iwama dojo at least.

On a personal note, one thing I like about the dojo is that there is no merchandising.

Regards

Carl

Leonaiki 02-16-2012 02:24 AM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Quote:

Katherine Derbyshire wrote: (Post 303178)
Kingfisher offers an Iwama-style bokken. Their weapons are excellent (and expensive) in general, but I can't comment on the Iwama specifically.

Katherine

Excellent bokken. Worth the money.
Bokkenshop (Tozando) sells an excellent 1 sun white jo.

JJF 02-16-2012 02:43 AM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
I believe Tozando.com also have something relevant for you. And they have great service

jamie yugawa 02-16-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Thank you for your responses and recommendations. I saw that on several forums that some instructors wanted their students to have an authentic "Iwama" bokken or that they had a bokken that was not really Iwama style. I was wondering if there was a standard for the specs or a company that most Iwama practitioners would purchase from.

Rob Watson 02-16-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Quote:

Katherine Derbyshire wrote: (Post 303178)
Kingfisher offers an Iwama-style bokken. Their weapons are excellent (and expensive) in general, but I can't comment on the Iwama specifically.

Katherine

I've got one and it is very nice. I even was able to fairly easily reshape it to exactly match the shape of my instructors bokken. My instructor says it is not in the Iwama style ...

The (our) dojo gets bokken through California S&P but not the Iwama style one ... hombu style is the 'correct' Iwama style bokken. Drives me crazy trying to get one.

Petar A 03-02-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 303228)
I've got one and it is very nice. I even was able to fairly easily reshape it to exactly match the shape of my instructors bokken. My instructor says it is not in the Iwama style ...

The (our) dojo gets bokken through California S&P but not the Iwama style one ... hombu style is the 'correct' Iwama style bokken. Drives me crazy trying to get one.

hello guy's,

does anyone have picture of that original Iwama bokken?

Aviv 03-03-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Where does the Iwama dojo purchase their weapons from?
 
I have Iwama bokken from several decades. They range from 103 to 105 cm in length and 650-770 gm in weight. Saito Morihiro Shihan used to say that only Japanese White Oak should be used.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.