AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20359)

PhillyKiAikido 09-30-2011 10:31 AM

An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Just ran across this conversation between Yoshigasaki and Menuhin. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/29786397

Abasan 09-30-2011 11:29 AM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
I really like this...

graham christian 09-30-2011 12:02 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Hi Ting.
Brilliant. May I say this is one of the best videos I have seen.

I loved it. I share all of those same views so it had that extra for me personally.

A gem. Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards.G.

Rubber Man 10-14-2011 06:15 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
now guys please dont take this the wrong way because i very much enjoyed this and its added some depths to my thinking and some points i had never considered before.

but this makes an incredible drinking game, shots every time yoshigasaki sensei says 'space' hehe

Dan

gregstec 10-15-2011 06:23 AM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Some interesting metaphors - I like the one about space - when you think about grabbing their space, you must view them as one large object and then your focus is on the center of that object; which pretty much equates to connect to center and move uke from there.

Greg

graham christian 10-15-2011 06:42 AM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Funny thing is it's not metaphoric, it's literal.

Regards.G..

gregstec 10-15-2011 06:52 AM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 294611)
Funny thing is it's not metaphoric, it's literal.

Regards.G..

So, they are literally grabbing a sphere that they visualize? If so, please provide some physical detail on that.

Greg

graham christian 10-15-2011 07:09 AM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Quote:

Greg Steckel wrote: (Post 294613)
So, they are literally grabbing a sphere that they visualize? If so, please provide some physical detail on that.

Greg

Hi Greg.
Whasssup. First let's clear something here. Visualizing is just a tool until you get the reality.

The reality is you have a spiritual space. In Aikido, or should I say, in that Aikido and my Aikido and maybe many other, it's a fundamental part of training.

You align that space with the physical space. Once again spiritual and physical in unison. That's one aspect of it. But first you have to know the reality of it and then the reality of how to use it in Aikido.

Then the reality of how it applies and to what etc.

I would say first comes body and physical movement of, then energy and how that works complete with yin and yang principles and paths of non-restance etc. and the geometry involved etc and then comes space and the 'mechanics' of. But that's spiritual.

Regards.G.

gregstec 10-15-2011 12:34 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 294615)
Hi Greg.
Whasssup. First let's clear something here. Visualizing is just a tool until you get the reality.

The reality is you have a spiritual space. In Aikido, or should I say, in that Aikido and my Aikido and maybe many other, it's a fundamental part of training.

You align that space with the physical space. Once again spiritual and physical in unison. That's one aspect of it. But first you have to know the reality of it and then the reality of how to use it in Aikido.

Then the reality of how it applies and to what etc.

I would say first comes body and physical movement of, then energy and how that works complete with yin and yang principles and paths of non-restance etc. and the geometry involved etc and then comes space and the 'mechanics' of. But that's spiritual.

Regards.G.

Sorry to be slow with a response - I just got back from a training session with a local instructor of Sam Chin's I liq Chuan - very interesting stuff that I Liq Chuan :)

Ok, Graham, buddy, when he says grab like you would a baby, that is a metaphor. However, with that said, you may find it strange that I agree with some of the other stuff you said about space. But IMO, I think you got the following backwards:

"I would say first comes body and physical movement of, then energy and how that works complete with yin and yang principles and paths of non-restance etc. and the geometry involved etc and then comes space and the 'mechanics' of. But that's spiritual. "

I would say that first comes mind and energy then physical movement complete with yin and yang in both the mental AND physical - I don't know if that fits everyone's definition of spiritual, but it certainly should fit most definitions for mental.

Greg

graham christian 10-15-2011 01:02 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Hi Greg. Looks like you had fun doing your.....(what was it again?)...Ha,ha.

What comes first I suppose depends on how we are using the word 'first' if you see what I mean.

The baby part was indeed given as a metaphor but is also a reality.

Regards,G.

graham christian 10-15-2011 01:25 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Hi Greg, just had to post again after watching Sam Chin. First of all, I really liked him, he seems like a great guy.

Many similar principles too. Very nice.

Regards.G.

gregstec 10-15-2011 01:47 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 294636)
Hi Greg, just had to post again after watching Sam Chin. First of all, I really liked him, he seems like a great guy.

Many similar principles too. Very nice.

Regards.G.

Funny you should say that - folks that know both Dan and Sam say the same thing about each of them, they are very, very, alike in thier concepts, principles, and methods. You really need to try and get to see Dan since he is in the UK next week :D

Greg

graham christian 10-15-2011 02:27 PM

Re: An inspiring conversation between a violin teacher and a Ki-Aikido teacher
 
Quote:

Greg Steckel wrote: (Post 294639)
Funny you should say that - folks that know both Dan and Sam say the same thing about each of them, they are very, very, alike in thier concepts, principles, and methods. You really need to try and get to see Dan since he is in the UK next week :D

Greg

Ha, ha. Sorry, I miss your point.

Regards.G.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.