AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How to tie Hakama for short people (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20182)

nuxie 08-18-2011 11:51 PM

How to tie Hakama for short people

Ok so I have my Hakama for Iiaido and I tie it like so.. only problem is I am a very short person. ( 5 foot tall) Thus I have a very short torso. when I tie the hakama using the above then below the obi style well my hakama is all the up to my breasts.. witch in turn makes drawing my bokken from the saya dang near impossible without giving myself a mastectomy..So then I tried wearing the hakama as low on my hips as possible... Problem with that is during my Aikido class ( witch is right after Iiaido) the back part of the hakama with the shorter straps starts to loosen and I find myself tripping all over myself. Now all the videos I have seen so far do the above then below . the obi method... the one thing I find that these people have in common is some sorta buddah belly that seems to make a nice little ledge to wrap the straps of the hakama around.. I also lack this. So any tips from anyone with a short torso on how you tie your hakama? especially the shorter straps so that they don't loosen and the back part starts to fall? Before you ask no I do not have the little spoon in mine to tuck into my obi.

Janet Rosen 08-19-2011 12:19 AM

Re: How to tie Hakama for short people

Im a woman 5'2" very highwaisted and big hipped so I understand!

The obi used in iaido or koryu is not the obi used in aikido (except in aikido dojos that do iaido...) and it can be wrapped lower on the body. I would suggest getting one and wearing your hak low for iaido, then go offmat and adjust for needs of aikido.

SmilingNage 08-19-2011 01:08 PM

Never heard of a short person's way to tie. I know there are ways for fat and skinny people tie up.

Besides if I am not mistaken in Iaido isnt the larger straps tied off in the back?

crbateman 08-19-2011 08:30 PM

I'm short, so I tie mine to the ceiling... makes me taller... ;)

Janet Rosen 08-19-2011 11:58 PM

Guys, thank you for your contributions.
The question as written clearly isn't one if stature per se but a confluence of body proportion issues.

ninjaqutie 08-21-2011 03:35 PM

Our dojo ties the hakama differently for iaido and for aikido. Maybe you need to switch your tying methods between classes. It helps for aikido if you can pull your himo through your obi for aikido because it helps keep everything together better.

phitruong 08-21-2011 06:59 PM

i was thinking about stringing the straps over my shoulders and wearing the thing like a suspender. actually, that would have look like my cover-all that i wore at the farm. hhhmmmmm..... that might work! :)

nuxie 09-24-2011 08:19 PM

Has anyone made a spoon for their hakama? if so what did you use etc?

Abasan 09-25-2011 05:24 AM

Try to YouTube this. I think a Uk dojo showed an alternative method to tie the hakama. Ie they tied the back portion first instead of the front. It may help as you will have better height adjustment control.

Janet Rosen 09-25-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Mary Simonsen wrote: (Post 293312)
Has anyone made a spoon for their hakama? if so what did you use etc?

I have not but would probably use the same kind of plumbers gasket I use to replace koshita stuffing with (nice sheet of pliable vulcanized rubber).