AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19826)

aikidoprincipal 05-12-2011 03:56 AM

Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Iwama Ryu North West will be running a one year Instructor programme, based in Chorley, Lancashire, UK

In Japan there is a zero to black belt course run for the Tokyo riot police. This course is spread out over a year and is very intensive. It is also available to foreign students, interested in Aikido. A former student of this course, Robert Twigger, wrote about his experiences of this course and life in Japan, a very interesting book entitled, Angry White Pyjamas. Iwama Ryu North west has received permission from Mr Twigger to use this name and link it to our own version of the course.

The whole experience of our one year programme shall be based upon the "uchi-deshi" experience. Uchi deshi simply translates as live in student. Each person to enrol on this course will live in at the dojo (training hall) for the duration of the course. Everything revolves around the study of Aikido. Students will have access to a kitchen to prepare meals, will work together to maintain the cleanliness of the dojo and work together to develop their Aikido. The whole course is centred around strong basics of the Iwama Ryu syllabus. An extensive library of Aikido books and videos will be available for study. The course will be very intensive with a minimum of five hours tuition per day, Monday to Friday. Two weekends per month will be extra training courses. Overall each student will have logged over 1000 hours tuition, prior to sitting their Shodan (black belt, first dan) test. Each student must also keep a daily logbook of study and self study to be handed in at the end of the course. IT facilities will be available for video diaries. Internet access will also be provided.

This course is costed at 6500-00 per person for the whole year. This will include 3 meals per day, Monday to Friday. Students will have to self cater on weekends. Students will sit the Shodan test at the end of the year under the eye of Sensei Matt Hill, the UK representitive of Hitohira Saito Sensei. There are 30 places available for this instructor programme and any interest should be logged via the website, www.iwama-ryu-north-west.org
Iwama Ryu North west are not responsible for foreign students arranging travel or visas. This instructor programme will commence towards the end of 2011, dates still to be confirmed.
In Aiki,
Iwama Ryu North west.

sakumeikan 05-12-2011 11:39 AM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Quote:

Paul Sparks wrote: (Post 283625)
Iwama Ryu North West will be running a one year Instructor programme, based in Chorley, Lancashire, UK

In Japan there is a zero to black belt course run for the Tokyo riot police. This course is spread out over a year and is very intensive. It is also available to foreign students, interested in Aikido. A former student of this course, Robert Twigger, wrote about his experiences of this course and life in Japan, a very interesting book entitled, Angry White Pyjamas. Iwama Ryu North west has received permission from Mr Twigger to use this name and link it to our own version of the course.

The whole experience of our one year programme shall be based upon the "uchi-deshi" experience. Uchi deshi simply translates as live in student. Each person to enrol on this course will live in at the dojo (training hall) for the duration of the course. Everything revolves around the study of Aikido. Students will have access to a kitchen to prepare meals, will work together to maintain the cleanliness of the dojo and work together to develop their Aikido. The whole course is centred around strong basics of the Iwama Ryu syllabus. An extensive library of Aikido books and videos will be available for study. The course will be very intensive with a minimum of five hours tuition per day, Monday to Friday. Two weekends per month will be extra training courses. Overall each student will have logged over 1000 hours tuition, prior to sitting their Shodan (black belt, first dan) test. Each student must also keep a daily logbook of study and self study to be handed in at the end of the course. IT facilities will be available for video diaries. Internet access will also be provided.

This course is costed at 6500-00 per person for the whole year. This will include 3 meals per day, Monday to Friday. Students will have to self cater on weekends. Students will sit the Shodan test at the end of the year under the eye of Sensei Matt Hill, the UK representitive of Hitohira Saito Sensei. There are 30 places available for this instructor programme and any interest should be logged via the website, www.iwama-ryu-north-west.org
Iwama Ryu North west are not responsible for foreign students arranging travel or visas. This instructor programme will commence towards the end of 2011, dates still to be confirmed.
In Aiki,
Iwama Ryu North west.

Hi,
Read your web page.It indicates you run a non profit org.By my reckoning your one year course would bring in gross 195000 .Now unless you are feeding the guys on caviare [my little joke] if I couldnt show a profit at the end of a year I would eat my zori. You also will have potentially 30 Molly Maids to clean /dust and maintain the premises.
Cheers, Joe.

aikidoprincipal 05-12-2011 11:52 AM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 283662)
Hi,
Read your web page.It indicates you run a non profit org.By my reckoning your one year course would bring in gross 195000 .Now unless you are feeding the guys on caviare [my little joke] if I couldnt show a profit at the end of a year I would eat my zori. You also will have potentially 30 Molly Maids to clean /dust and maintain the premises.
Cheers, Joe.

The organisation is a not for profit organisation. No one has a salary and the cost gives a student somewhere to live, meals for five days, and over 1000 hours each tuition. After you pay for everything, and it is a pretty big list, there would not be a great deal left over. For example the venue we hire just for our club had a 60,000 per year running cost bill! We would have a venue, running costs, phone lines and internet, food, transport (minibus) to take the students to other clubs, IT facilities, printers, audio / visual equipment............the list goes on. Yes it is a large amount but it is priced failrly for what a student may receive. At the end of the year there may be some profit but that would go into the organisation and towards another one year course. Do some research into the whole project idea Joe and see how cheaply you could run an uchi deshi instructor programme for!
Regards
Iwama Ryu North West

sakumeikan 05-12-2011 06:08 PM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Quote:

Paul Sparks wrote: (Post 283665)
The organisation is a not for profit organisation. No one has a salary and the cost gives a student somewhere to live, meals for five days, and over 1000 hours each tuition. After you pay for everything, and it is a pretty big list, there would not be a great deal left over. For example the venue we hire just for our club had a 60,000 per year running cost bill! We would have a venue, running costs, phone lines and internet, food, transport (minibus) to take the students to other clubs, IT facilities, printers, audio / visual equipment............the list goes on. Yes it is a large amount but it is priced failrly for what a student may receive. At the end of the year there may be some profit but that would go into the organisation and towards another one year course. Do some research into the whole project idea Joe and see how cheaply you could run an uchi deshi instructor programme for!
Regards
Iwama Ryu North West

Dear Paul,
Sainsburys state that a family of four can be fed for a fiver a day[I appreciate it may well be a basic menu] however on that basis
the 30 guys would be [rounding up ] a cost of 8X5.00X 5days=200.00.On the weekends when the candidates are self supporting they could indulge themselves in an extra treat [maybe a Mars Bar?] Your Dojo costs would be the same[ 60000].So while you may well drive a minibus [no mention of annual mileage} or printing costs etc.
including compulsory training of 1000 hrs[20 hrs a week ]I think there will be some meat on the bone after the course is finished.
Any way, its not uncommon for groups claiming to be non profit making or charitable instituitions to pay 'honorariums 'to their officers.If however your profits {if any]are solely used for the benefit of your group you deserve /merit my admiration and respect.
All the best , Joe.

Fred Little 05-12-2011 10:46 PM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
At current exchange rates, the cost is about the same as two semesters of basic dorm and food plan at a public college or university in the states.

At 12 months instead of 10 it looks good in comparison!

Rabih Shanshiry 05-13-2011 11:01 AM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I wish you every success in it!

At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to clarify that the Riot Police course in Japan featured in AWP is Yoshinkan-style Aikido. It is also a 9 month black belt program, with the full 11 month track granting an instructor certificate on top of that. While rank beginners are accepted to the program, some prior background in Yoshinkan-style Aikido is recommended.

These comments are not intended to detract for your program in anyway. It sounds like an amazing and rare opportunity for intense training outside of Japan!

Hellis 05-13-2011 11:58 AM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
The two threads you have running to promote your future programme will, I am sure , attract the attention of many people traffickers who will respond to you offering to fill all your thirty places, they will then ask for a letter of invitation...you will never see them once they have the said letter..beware !
Good luck with your programme.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

aikidoprincipal 05-13-2011 01:34 PM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Quote:

Rabih Shanshiry wrote: (Post 283732)
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I wish you every success in it!

At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to clarify that the Riot Police course in Japan featured in AWP is Yoshinkan-style Aikido. It is also a 9 month black belt program, with the full 11 month track granting an instructor certificate on top of that. While rank beginners are accepted to the program, some prior background in Yoshinkan-style Aikido is recommended.

These comments are not intended to detract for your program in anyway. It sounds like an amazing and rare opportunity for intense training outside of Japan!

Hi
Thanks for that. I loved the book of the same name which promted me to put together the programme so I sought permission from Robert Twigger to use the name AWP. I know it is Yoshinkan but we practise Iwama Ryu. There is also the opportunity to take a teaching / coaching award for those in the UK who may attend.
Thanks for your input.

aikidoprincipal 05-13-2011 01:35 PM

Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 283737)
The two threads you have running to promote your future programme will, I am sure , attract the attention of many people traffickers who will respond to you offering to fill all your thirty places, they will then ask for a letter of invitation...you will never see them once they have the said letter..beware !
Good luck with your programme.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

Hi Henry,
Thankyou for that information, I shall watch out.
Regards
Paul


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.