AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   training in street clothes (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1934)

justinm 05-23-2002 09:55 AM

training in street clothes

All the discussions on wearing hakama made me think - how often do you train in street clothes? For me, putting on the uniform is part of the whole experience and I am sure affects my training. If I train without a hakama, I feel different. And very, very occasionally I have trained in a tracksuit - very strange!

Has anyone tried training in normal street clothes (not counting when you are a beginner), and did you see any difference in your ability?

I felt incredibly un-coordinated, and fragile!

Justin

Chocolateuke 05-23-2002 11:55 AM

once I forgot to bring my Ki and I had to use my street stuff! knee walking is harder on the skin and that is about it, for me, if it feels strange for you I suggest you ask you sensei if you can try to train with your street clouths on because thats what your going to use in a real fight. just my two overated cents.

JohnH 05-23-2002 02:13 PM

I tend to wear loose clothing as is, so my gi is very similar, in the way it fits, to my normal, casual attire. I find that footwork is a bit different with footwear on(especially sandals), and my gi's top is more restrictive that my normal clothing. If you are really wanting to use techniques off of the mat, I suggest at least getting used to basic footwork and body movements in street clothes if training in them feels so much different.

Or something like that.

guest1234 05-23-2002 03:59 PM

Like John, I wear my clothes loose, so the few times I've trained in jeans and shirts it didn't feel much different to me (once I fogot Gi pants, the rest were during school break so we trained outside the locked gym). What I did find helpful about it, though, was seeing my teacher in jeans. I finally figured out what my hips (my most often forgotten body part) were supposed to be doing for one exercise z9that still otherwise eludes me)...

At the time, I was still having trouble keeping my belt tied (wearing the male judo top at the time, my belt would shift off my hips to a much narrower waist, come loose, and fall off regularly during class). My teacher was using me as uke to demo irimi nage, and as he bent me backwards, my leather belt slipped out of my jeans loop and srung open. Looking down at it, he dryly commented that even in street clothes I couldn't keep my belt on.:eek:

shihonage 05-23-2002 04:45 PM

I did some Aikido in the park with a friend.
In sports clothes.

It was a bit different because of

a) grass is tougher than a mat or even a carpeted floor.

b) there was an angle to the ground !

c) there was no guidance and so our technique was sloppier than usual.

IrimiTom 05-23-2002 06:11 PM

I've never tried carpets, but I find grass is so much more comfortable to roll on than my dojo's "mats", even with a t-shirt or something thinner than my gi. Of course if full Canadian winter clothes fit under "street clothes", then those are the best for ukemi outside the dojo. :D

Bob Heffner 05-23-2002 06:38 PM

I've never tried street clothes with Aikido, but then I've only been doing it two months, I have practiced other MA's in street clothes and I found the hardest part was the foot work. Shoes do not slide or glide like your bare feet do, they tend to stick. It's very easy to stumble thinking that your feet will glide along, like they do in the Dojo, but they don't. I found the experience enlightening and humbling. I would recomend it to anyone.

Bob