AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   your number one technique (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19209)

Andrew Macdonald 01-10-2011 07:32 PM

your number one technique
 
with all the discussion that come up about "how effective is aikido?" or "does this really work?" what are your guy number on techniques for using

I mean using out of the dojo, either if you are playing with a person from another style or actually fighting

for me, out of my aikido arsenal i would take irimi nage, i find it fast, effective and most importantly versitlie, i can change the size of the movement from very large to very small (very small is where i would want to be using it most of the time but that is a point for another thread) also it is easy to throw in a knee or a strike during the technique

so what would you use from your aikido arsenal, and can we keep it real here, i know that aikido has alot of breathing and ki extension techniques that people love to use as a get out of jail free card in questions like this. but can we actually talk about practical techniques

Shadowfax 01-10-2011 07:44 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Front legs... kote gaeshi
Hind legs....nikkyo

:D Oh I don't generally play with other people outside of the dojo. Someone could get hurt. Horses OTOH are rather fun.

ChrisHein 01-10-2011 11:02 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
You use the technique the fits the situation. You can't force any one technique into a random situation. That wouldn't be "Aiki".

Janet Rosen 01-10-2011 11:17 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Yep!

dps 01-11-2011 01:01 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Most practical technique to use in a fight..... running..
...as fast & as far as necessary to be safe.

dps

kewms 01-11-2011 01:35 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Andrew Macdonald wrote: (Post 272539)
so what would you use from your aikido arsenal, and can we keep it real here, i know that aikido has alot of breathing and ki extension techniques that people love to use as a get out of jail free card in questions like this. but can we actually talk about practical techniques

If you think in terms of "go-to" techniques, you don't have much hope of actually dealing with a real situation. Principles, sure, but not techniques.

Katherine

SteliosPapadakis 01-11-2011 02:15 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Avoiding conflict by all means.
"The mother of the guy that run away never had to cry for anything"

Tony Wagstaffe 01-11-2011 03:39 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Avoid if you can, hit hard and wrap 'em up if you can't...

Hellis 01-11-2011 03:57 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
If you go into a fight situation with a `planned technique ` you will probably fail, take it as it comes....your favourite ukemi may be all you need as you hit the deck...

Henry Ellis
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/

Amir Krause 01-11-2011 04:43 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Chris Hein wrote: (Post 272561)
You use the technique the fits the situation. You can't force any one technique into a random situation. That wouldn't be "Aiki".

As far as I have seen in Randori (Korindo style -very close to sparring), I tend to use a different technique depending on the partner. I get into different situations with different people, and as a result utilize different techniques.
The interesting point is that a very small number of techniques tends to be used in the same Randori (particular partner), even though multiple attacks and timing situations exist in it (a common randori in our dojo lasts over 5 minutes, and includes a few dozens of encounters of which about half end in a technique, or a counter technique). Then on the next Randori, another group of a few techniques, which may not overlap, is being used more commonly.

I do not have "real life experience", but, if I assume the Randori is indicative, I would have to agree with Chris - the technique I precieve at that very moment to be best suited to the situation.

Amir

SeiserL 01-11-2011 06:50 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Aware and prepare.

lbb 01-11-2011 06:50 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
My favorite technique is a blank look. :D

Richard Stevens 01-11-2011 07:39 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Right hook. Seriously though, having worked in a secure detention facility for a year I found various incarnations of Ude Garame to be quite effective. As a result, it has become a go-to technique.

Tony Wagstaffe 01-11-2011 10:35 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 272585)
If you go into a fight situation with a `planned technique ` you will probably fail, take it as it comes....your favourite ukemi may be all you need as you hit the deck...

Henry Ellis
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/

OOOOh so true Henry! He who thinks has already been hit.....:straightf

RED 01-11-2011 02:38 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
number 1: ikkyo
2: nikkyo
3: sankyo
4: yonkyo
5: gokyo

etc etc.

Aikido-Sensei 01-15-2011 04:16 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
I agree with "avoid and run"...
sometimes it's just good to show how nice you can talk and save your aikido techniques for the dojo :)
in any case.. do Ikkyo and then just run away...

Tony Wagstaffe 01-16-2011 11:14 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
:rolleyes: :eek: :hypno: :crazy: :yuck: :drool: :blush: :( :eek:

As I run away and realise that my assailants can run faster......:eek: what then? Ooooohhhh S***t !!!!!!!

Hellis 01-16-2011 11:45 AM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: (Post 273324)
:rolleyes: :eek: :hypno: :crazy: :yuck: :drool: :blush: :( :eek:

As I run away and realise that my assailants can run faster......:eek: what then? Ooooohhhh S***t !!!!!!!

I never stop being surprised at people who study Aikido, they often say what technique they would use in a fight, your opponent creates ( you hope ) the opening for the application of a technique.
If you are involved in the said situation with a ``plan `` I can assure you that a stern look will not help you....
A good backward ukemi may serve you best.

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/

Tony Wagstaffe 01-16-2011 05:12 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 273326)
I never stop being surprised at people who study Aikido, they often say what technique they would use in a fight, your opponent creates ( you hope ) the opening for the application of a technique.
If you are involved in the said situation with a ``plan `` I can assure you that a stern look will not help you....
A good backward ukemi may serve you best.

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/

Easy in the dojo where its comparatively safe and you already know the attack that's coming. Different kettle of fish when someone attacks you from behind using your head like a speed ball or punches/kicks your back in the kidney area or kicks your thigh for a dead leg...... Real attacks come from all sides in reality, so covering up and avoiding is the only option........ if you have the room to move!!......
Hard atemi first with immediate take down is the only real alternative...... Very similar to what you see in the cage, except you don't get a warning or the order to fight from the referee..... The only difference being is you don't stay on the deck if you can help it as that can be an opening for his oppos!!
It can be rough out there so avoid it at all costs if you can, stay aware, but be prepared to fight if you can't, either way your're bound to get a bit pasted, unless you are lucky and get the first one in..... :straightf

Demetrio Cereijo 01-16-2011 05:24 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: (Post 273324)
As I run away and realise that my assailants can run faster......:eek: what then?

Be tired after running so you can be easily beaten

Tony Wagstaffe 01-16-2011 05:30 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 273342)
Be tired after running so you can be easily beaten

Ha ha that's right Demetrio...... have to hope there is a cab near by so you jump into it and escape.......:D ;)

Demetrio Cereijo 01-16-2011 05:38 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Stelios Papadakis wrote: (Post 272573)
Avoiding conflict by all means.
"The mother of the guy that run away never had to cry for anything"

Except for when she's been left in the hands of the aggressors looking how his son/daughter breaks the 100 m world record.

What happened with the traditional "with it or on it" of spartan mothers?
:D :D :D

nuxie 01-17-2011 01:07 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
well I was shoved to the ground recently during randori. . He put his hands on my chest and tried to shove me down. I grabbed his hands did a nice back fall and rolled completely over. He landed on his back and i landed kneeling next to him and still had a hold of his hand to my chest. After realizing what had just happened and that I still had his arm I immediately put my knee under his elbow and sat down.... HAHA I thought to myself that was sheer luck! I am completely inexperienced in randori. I just rememered this guys previous lecture about if you see an elbow then bend it however you can. so I did.

Hellis 01-17-2011 01:28 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: (Post 273343)
Ha ha that's right Demetrio...... have to hope there is a cab near by so you jump into it and escape.......:D ;)

That would be good advice with this little gem.

" The way to handle a bully is to walk away."

The cab would be handy in case the bully doesn't know he is not supposed to follow you, and the walk becomes a `` leg it `` :)

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/

Tony Wagstaffe 01-17-2011 07:23 PM

Re: your number one technique
 
Quote:

Henry Ellis wrote: (Post 273469)
That would be good advice with this little gem.

" The way to handle a bully is to walk away."

The cab would be handy in case the bully doesn't know he is not supposed to follow you, and the walk becomes a `` leg it `` :)

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/

Especially if the doors are locked on that cab!!!!:D ;) And the cabbie se's "Naaa Guv......... money up front.......:eek:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.