AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   You Can Learn Aikido From a Book (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18649)

MM 09-07-2010 02:23 PM

You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Interesting ... Anyone know who the four "Ohioans" were?

===
Black Belt 1965 Vol 3 No 11. Interview with Tohei.

BB: In other words, you do recommend a person to study from a book if a dojo is not available?

T: Yes, if a dojo is not available. But if one is, you should attend a good dojo because you'll be able to learn the finer pints of the art which you may miss from a book.

BB: If I should read your book and misinterpret one of the techniques or exercises, and keep practicing it wrong, will that hinder my development later on when I join a dojo?

T: No. When I visited Chicago a few months ago, four Ohioans came to study under me and I was surprised because they knew the techniques quite well. When I inquired who taught them, they said that they had learned it from my book. One person would read while the others practiced the techniques. They didn't reveal any major faults in their movements. I'm glad that my book can help
people who live in an area where a dojo is not accessible.

Gorgeous George 09-07-2010 04:01 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
I actually read this a short while back; I was interested to see that it listed the authors of Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere in the promotions section (on page 56).

Here's a link to a copy of that issue (the Tohei interview is on page 44):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ato...g e&q&f=false

Patrick Hutchinson 09-07-2010 04:09 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
"the finer pints of the art"

Ah, now it all becomes clear.
What was the story about Ueshiba being mad at Tohei because you couldn't channel the kami after imbibing too much...

dps 09-07-2010 05:06 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Quote:

Mark Murray wrote: (Post 264234)
I

T: No. When I visited Chicago a few months ago, four Ohioans came to study under me and I was surprised because they knew the techniques quite well. When I inquired who taught them, they said that they had learned it from my book. One person would read while the others practiced the techniques. They didn't reveal any major faults in their movements. I'm glad that my book can help
people who live in an area where a dojo is not accessible.

Four of the Ohioans were Chuck Cycyk, Ron White, Terry Banks and Andy Demko from Youngstown, Ohio. I got this information from Ron White and he said that there were actually more than four that went but he is not sure of their names.

Ron White runs the 'Total Defense Systems' in Boardman, Ohio. ( http://total-defense.org/)

Chuck Cycyk passed away several years ago. He ran the Youngstown Aikikai and was a former sensei of mine.

I don't know anything about Terry Banks.

Andy Demko is a Sichidan (7th degree black belt) and runs the Aikido Center of New Castle in New Castle, Pa.(http://www.aikidoncpa.com/aikidoncpa/Home.html)

They had prior judo experience before Aikido and the book they learned from was Tohei's " This Is Aikido".

David

gregstec 09-07-2010 05:35 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Regardless of Tohei's level of talent, he was also a business man and author of many books on Aikido - I would would view parts of that interview as a simple plug for his many books :)

Greg

Gorgeous George 09-07-2010 06:06 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Quote:

Greg Steckel wrote: (Post 264245)
Regardless of Tohei's level of talent, he was also a business man

What I know of his aikido organisation certainly bears this out.

mickeygelum 09-07-2010 09:01 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Quote:

Regardless of Tohei's level of talent, he was also a business man and author of many books on Aikido - I would would view parts of that interview as a simple plug for his many books
While that may be your opinion, I knew Cycyk Sensei personally, and his contribution to the martial arts at KI, Karate International, Youngstown, Ohio.

Cycyk sensei was the dojo-cho of the Youngstown Aikikai, and affiliated with Hombu.

Do not diminish and smudge the memory of a very proficient martial artist, by making such a snide and ill-informed remark.

But, then again, I know the company you keep...:rolleyes:

Hey Mark, coming to the seminar with the others, missed you on our visit? Get the details from Joe!

Mickey

gregstec 09-08-2010 12:17 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Quote:

Michael Gelum wrote: (Post 264253)
While that may be your opinion, I knew Cycyk Sensei personally, and his contribution to the martial arts at KI, Karate International, Youngstown, Ohio.

Cycyk sensei was the dojo-cho of the Youngstown Aikikai, and affiliated with Hombu.

Do not diminish and smudge the memory of a very proficient martial artist, by making such a snide and ill-informed remark.

But, then again, I know the company you keep...:rolleyes:

Hey Mark, coming to the seminar with the others, missed you on our visit? Get the details from Joe!

Mickey

Mr. Gelum:

I do not know you or Cycyk sensei - nor was I referring to him or you in any manner in my post - it was simply a comment about Tohie and his books. Nor do I ever remember taking any cheap shots at you or anyone you may be associated with. I do not appreciate the tone and obvious attack in you post - I find it extremely immature and in very poor taste :disgust:

By the way, I also keep company with Mark M on occasion, so why don't you take a couple cheap shots at him as well.

Ryan Seznee 09-08-2010 01:30 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
The article stated that in the absence of a dojo a book was better than nothing. I take that to mean that in the same thing as in the absence of proper food, boiled shoe leather can make a meal. It is not advisable to eat shoe leather whatsoever, but if you have no better option, it is better than nothing. Aikido books are good for what they are worth (in this instance communicating higher philosophy and principles), but watching a kung fu movie doesn't make me Bruce Lee.

edshockley 09-17-2010 02:59 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
There are many similarities between various martial arts. Tai chi and Aikido emphasize tanden movement. Boxing and karate tout solid stances etc. It is very possible for a group of practitioners to collectively make use of books, film, even collaborative experimentation. There are also subtle differences between various arts. Those are both technical and spiritual and are more difficult to access without the guidance of a talented Sensei. I hope I am not subverting the conversation but the question seems to actually be, "What is the goal of martial arts study?" If one masters the movements and manipulations then one can prevail in a fight but if there is no spiritual foundation then is it "martial" without the "art." I have no opinion and pose this purely as an opportunity to learn. I have driven on multiple occasion several hundred miles to study with Demko Shihan and find his instruction complete. My understanding is that he is a student of Yamada so am surprised to see his name included in this conversation. I apologize if I am perverting the thread.

dps 09-17-2010 11:06 PM

Re: You Can Learn Aikido From a Book
 
Quote:

Ed Shockley wrote: (Post 264708)
My understanding is that he is a student of Yamada so am surprised to see his name included in this conversation. I apologize if I am perverting the thread.

Why are you surprised?

David


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.