AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   kubi nage (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18629)

Carsten Möllering 09-03-2010 02:41 AM

kubi nage
 
(Referring to the ai hanmi tenchi nage thread few day ago.)

Finally found a clip of what we call "kubi nage":

Please watch the practioner on the right from 0:55 on.

Do you know and do this technique?

Carsten

James Edwards 09-03-2010 05:18 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
The head throw? Yea, we've come across it but I think it's seldom practiced since it can be quite dangerous if the students don't know what they're doing.

Marc Abrams 09-03-2010 06:43 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
The head throw is dangerous and very effective for that reason. The punch "throw" before that was silly in that nobody I know would leave a straight arm out there after throwing a punch. I call that the "night of the living dead uke practice."

Marc Abrams

WilliB 09-03-2010 07:47 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Carsten Möllering wrote: (Post 264101)
(Referring to the ai hanmi tenchi nage thread few day ago.)

Finally found a clip of what we call "kubi nage":

Please watch the practioner on the right from 0:55 on.

Do you know and do this technique?

Carsten

I have seen it, in particular at the AKI place in Yokohama. It is not part the regular schedule in my dojo; occasionally they something like that, but in a very mellowed down version.

I havent heard a particular name for it; what we call kubinage is something else. The name of course makes sense for this too.

Shannon Frye 09-03-2010 09:39 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
I've come across 3 different variations, all of which are called Kubi- nage. 2 involve nage facing the same direction as uke (as in the video). The 3rd is more of a 'head twist' while facing uke. But these have all been in juijitsu or judo settings.

Adam Huss 09-03-2010 11:51 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
I've always called that kubinage as well. I've heard other terms for it, but can't recall what they are as I don't use them regularly.

The technique a couple after that we call kubishime...but we also use kubishime for an attack. Gotta love those generic names!

Adam Huss 09-03-2010 11:52 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
...its not something that's in our actual testing curriculum though, but so are a lot of things we are taught.

WilliB 09-04-2010 03:38 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Adam Huss wrote: (Post 264120)
I've always called that kubinage as well. I've heard other terms for it, but can't recall what they are as I don't use them regularly.

The technique a couple after that we call kubishime...but we also use kubishime for an attack. Gotta love those generic names!

Kubishime means strangling, so that is another vague term.

Carsten Möllering 09-04-2010 05:26 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Adam Huss wrote: (Post 264120)
The technique a couple after that we call kubishime...but we also use kubishime for an attack.

Yes.
"Ushiro katate dori kubi shime" is one of the "regular" attacks in our aikido.
And exactly the same form is also the way of doing irimi nage in tanto dori, jodori, jonage and tachi dori.

Michael Varin 09-04-2010 10:17 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Adam Huss wrote:
Gotta love those generic names!

I come from an Iwama background... you should see how many things we call kokyu nage.

For instance, all of the above mentioned throws :)

Lan Powers 09-07-2010 03:14 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Our term for the throw in question has always been Men-nage.
Men=head, nage, (of course) =throw
I have always liked all the various names for techniques...it is interesting to hear all the different variations.
HEY! I know that throw!! :)

Adam Huss 09-07-2010 03:46 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Here is an example of a form of kubinage...please skip to around 1:20 in clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySOix7gzx1A

Chris Farnham 09-07-2010 05:33 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Michael Varin wrote: (Post 264168)
I come from an Iwama background... you should see how many things we call kokyu nage.

For instance, all of the above mentioned throws :)

While I don't really come from an Iwama background, I have practiced in Iwama a few times, and I am pretty sure that I have heard the "Head Throw" referred to as kubinage by people in Iwama , but I could be wrong...but I also noticed that there is a whole series of Kokyu nage techniques that vary widely. I believe that Inagaki Sensei likes to cover them all together as a single unit...or at least he was doing it that way one of the times I stayed there.

Aikilove 09-07-2010 06:31 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
I'm certainly from an Iwama background and I've always referred to it as kubinage.

Saito shows a couple of them at hombudojo just month after the founders death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8P1N9GKUQ

first around 0:20 and then dissect it at 0:50 and onward.

/J

WilliB 09-08-2010 12:55 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Lan Powers wrote: (Post 264240)
Our term for the throw in question has always been Men-nage.
Men=head, nage, (of course) =throw
I have always liked all the various names for techniques...it is interesting to hear all the different variations.
HEY! I know that throw!! :)

Quibble: "Men" does not mean head, it means front side or surface.
I have never heard of men-nage, but of course there are all sorts of names floating out there.

Michael Varin 09-08-2010 01:41 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Jakob,

Great video of Saito. I'd never seen that footage before. Thanks for posting it.

The throw at 0:20 looks like a kaiten nage to me. The latter ones I remember being called kokyu nage, but they may well be called kubi nage. Those things do change over the years, and of course, memories vary.

Carsten Möllering 09-08-2010 02:18 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Willi Brix wrote: (Post 264261)
... of course there are all sorts of names floating out there.

Yes, that's true.

But it's kind of interesting, to notice that those names are not random but follow systems.

So there are certain styles or also certain lines of tradition within a style, which use certain names.

You have the wide range from calling "nearly every technique" kokyu nage in ki-aikido (at least the line of Yoshigasaki which is representative here in Germany) to naming the same technique in different ways with every form of attack in koryu yawara.
This is not only about names, but it shows the underlying understanding.

Or you can discuss whether rokyo (Saito Sensei) is a own technique following own principles or whether it is a certain form of nikyo ura (some aikikai teachers). The name isn't just a name, but helps to understand what is done in this waza.

Or see the discussions about ikkajo / ikkyo and kokyu ho / kokyu dosa / aiki age in this forum.

And so on.

Like always in life the names and the nomenclature, wich shows the system of the techniques, leads to a certain understanding of what is named.

It's not worth to quarrel and struggle but it's worth understanding, I think.

Carsten

Don_Modesto 09-08-2010 06:47 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
FWIW: http://www.coolrain.com/3.html

Lost Techniques
Item# AT-LT - $29.95

Expand your knowledge of the foundations of O'Sensei's Aikido. Including:

* Aiki-Otoshi

--------* Men-Nage--------

* Ganseki-Otoshi
* Hiji-Waza
o Osae
o Nage
o Kime
* Ude-Garame
* Juji-Garame

Lan Powers 09-08-2010 02:35 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Willi Brix wrote: (Post 264261)
Quibble: "Men" does not mean head, it means front side or surface.
I have never heard of men-nage, but of course there are all sorts of names floating out there.

Huh,
That means I am interpreting shomenuchi wrong as well then..
( I don't doubt that it is so, just didn't know)
Shomen uchi-uchi=strike, Men= head (I thought) and Sho= front
(In this context)
Strike to the front side of the head
I wonder what the literal translation is?:confused:

So, "strike to the front-side" for shomenuchi?
That would explain the confusion on the term for the head throw also.
Thanks!

WilliB 09-08-2010 10:57 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Lan Powers wrote: (Post 264291)
Huh,
That means I am interpreting shomenuchi wrong as well then..
( I don't doubt that it is so, just didn't know)
Shomen uchi-uchi=strike, Men= head (I thought) and Sho= front
(In this context)
Strike to the front side of the head
I wonder what the literal translation is?:confused:

So, "strike to the front-side" for shomenuchi?
That would explain the confusion on the term for the head throw also.
Thanks!

Yes. "Shoumen" would literally mean "front surface". (And "yokoumen" diagonal surface.) There is no literal "head" in there.

Just to muddle the waters more, if you use a different Kanji, then "men" means cotton...

niall 09-09-2010 10:34 PM

Re: kubi nage
 
The primary meaning of men 面 is face and by extension mask (as used in noh or kendo, for example).

niall 09-10-2010 01:30 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
In other budo there doesn't seem to be any confusion about what kubi nage is - it's basically all the same technique. It's a throw from a controlling headlock. The judo version here is a slight variation (from tai otoshi with an extended leg); the sambo and BJJ variations are orthodox koshi waza (koshi nage in aikido).

judo http://www.judo-connexion.com/techni...kubi-nage.aspx

sumo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHUSnqva5Q
(go straight to 4.30 or you'll get a headache from the camerawork)

sambo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQREzCICcU

BJJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6ZjuqeCwo&p

WilliB 09-10-2010 02:52 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
Quote:

Niall Matthews wrote: (Post 264341)
In other budo there doesn't seem to be any confusion about what kubi nage is - it's basically all the same technique. It's a throw from a controlling headlock. The judo version here is a slight variation (from tai otoshi with an extended leg); the sambo and BJJ variations are orthodox koshi waza (koshi nage in aikido).

judo http://www.judo-connexion.com/techni...kubi-nage.aspx

sumo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHUSnqva5Q
(go straight to 4.30 or you'll get a headache from the camerawork)

sambo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQREzCICcU

BJJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6ZjuqeCwo&p

I can´t see the judo video, but the illustration looks like what I call koshi-guruma in judo.

niall 09-10-2010 03:34 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
You might need to install microsoft silverlight to watch the video. You're right Willi the difference between those two throws seems to be very subtle if it exists. It's probably just whether the emphasis is on the neck control or not.
.
http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10864-kubi-nage/

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...rance-between/

Stormcrow34 09-10-2010 07:41 AM

Re: kubi nage
 
[quote=Niall Matthews;264341]In other budo there doesn't seem to be any confusion about what kubi nage is - it's basically all the same technique. It's a throw from a controlling headlock. The judo version here is a slight variation (from tai otoshi with an extended leg); the sambo and BJJ variations are orthodox koshi waza (koshi nage in aikido).

judo http://www.judo-connexion.com/techni...kubi-nage.aspx

In Yoseikan Budo, kubi nage is the Judo version described here. Basically it's tai otoshi from a headlock.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.