AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dojo managment software (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17876)

scarey 03-24-2010 06:58 AM

Dojo managment software
 
What 3 features would/do you use most in a dojo management program, eg. (student fees, calendar, schedule, student profile)?

Karo 03-24-2010 08:41 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Attendance. And a simple PDA version of the software or client just for the attendance, so you can mark attendance on the PDA and then upload/synchronize the files to the main program.

Are you developing the software?

Karo

scarey 03-24-2010 08:57 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Yes, I am developing some software but it will be web based. I'm looking to get ideas on the most functional features that would be used as well as how popular something like this might be. Just looking to make life easier :-)

bulevardi 03-24-2010 09:17 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
- online shopping cart to buy dojo tools like tanto, jo, bokken
- being able to pay subscription fees via paypal
- profiles of members
- avatars on profiles

scarey 03-24-2010 09:42 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Thank you for your suggestions, Dirk!

chillzATL 03-24-2010 10:44 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Unless you're just looking to code something, check out www.martialmanagement.com.

It does most of what has been mentioned already (profile, dojo directory, announcements, calendar, time tracking, etc), is constantly being improved/refined and the developer is very open to suggestions. oh and it's free. At some point he may charge for some features, but these will be extensions to the core functionality.

David Maidment 03-24-2010 12:05 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Hmm... I've written software to do a lot of these individual things over the years. Perhaps I should combine them to make some dojo management software. I've needed a new coding project for a while now.

Off the top of my head, I'd say something that incorporates an eCommerce solution (including payment of dues), basic CMS, calendar, community forum, gallery software... pretty much how AikiWeb is set up, to be honest.

DonMagee 03-24-2010 01:50 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 254445)
Unless you're just looking to code something, check out www.martialmanagement.com.

It does most of what has been mentioned already (profile, dojo directory, announcements, calendar, time tracking, etc), is constantly being improved/refined and the developer is very open to suggestions. oh and it's free. At some point he may charge for some features, but these will be extensions to the core functionality.

WOT (https://www.mywot.com/) lists that url as a spammer.

I'm in the process of designing some software for gyms. It will support web/mac/pc/iphone/android (Web/mac/iphone first). It's in early stages however.

jonreading 03-24-2010 03:28 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Money collection, money collection, and...money collection. Automated billing would be my top, followed dojo calendar and communication tool.

Aikibu 03-24-2010 11:39 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
I have a Filemaker Pro based app I wrote that works just fine and if you want to do a web based management app I suggest a CMS platform like Joomla. It's free and relatively easy to learn and use and if you like to create... code... and stuff.... allot of fun.:)

William Hazen

Jeff Sodeman 03-25-2010 12:15 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
If you're thinking of making something for yourself, go for it. But if you pick up a few martial arts magazines you'll find them filled with ads for applications/services like this.

You may also find that a higher number of dojos than you would expect don't have internet service.

bulevardi 03-25-2010 02:03 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Did I mention Avatars yet? :straightf

chillzATL 03-25-2010 05:43 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Don Magee wrote: (Post 254455)
WOT (https://www.mywot.com/) lists that url as a spammer.

I'm in the process of designing some software for gyms. It will support web/mac/pc/iphone/android (Web/mac/iphone first). It's in early stages however.

It's wrong and if you look at the two sources/honeypots, one of them (arcade) you can't even contact anymore and the other is in Germany. There is NO unsolicited email coming from that domain. The domain isn't listed on ANY of the commonly used, corporate, verifiable blacklist services. WOT is NOT one of those...

lbb 03-25-2010 06:36 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Jeff Sodeman wrote: (Post 254482)
You may also find that a higher number of dojos than you would expect don't have internet service.

Internet service? What's that?

Our dojo has a website, but it's for informational purposes. We're simply not large enough to need shopping carts or any other e-commerce paraphernalia. We're also not large enough to need specialized apps to track attendance, dues payments, testing, accounting/bookkeeping, etc. General purpose apps such as Excel and Quickbooks do that well enough for a dojo our size.

chillzATL 03-25-2010 06:47 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Jeff Sodeman wrote: (Post 254482)
You may also find that a higher number of dojos than you would expect don't have internet service.

For a web based service like martialmanagement.com, dojos don't need internet service. Students and instructors access it on their own time and the dojo itself doesn't need to be able to access the site directly for that.

scarey 03-29-2010 09:42 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Wonderful discussion here. Looks like accessibility seems to be on the mind. I tend to agree with the idea that internet access might be a valid obstacle to work on. I think that is best tackled by having some sort of workflow. As mentioned, the size of the dojo would probably determine the need for something like this.

Another aspect I've been thinking about is the social aspect. The idea behind social software is to enable people to interact online in as much the same way as they do offline. I think dojo management software should offer something that let's people share and discuss much in the same way they do after a seminar, for example. This has the benefit of letting a dojo's culture extend itself beyond what it can physically reach.

jennifer paige smith 03-29-2010 09:54 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

William Hazen wrote: (Post 254481)
I have a Filemaker Pro based app I wrote that works just fine and if you want to do a web based management app I suggest a CMS platform like Joomla. It's free and relatively easy to learn and use and if you like to create... code... and stuff.... allot of fun.:)

William Hazen

:) The Filemaker Pro is the best program that I've used. It works for an expanding school population, can segregate billing and stats for dojo management tasks, and is pretty user friendly. I'd never considered
writing my own program, that's beyond my pail, as it were.

Aikibu 03-29-2010 11:20 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Jennifer Smith wrote: (Post 254684)
:) The Filemaker Pro is the best program that I've used. It works for an expanding school population, can segregate billing and stats for dojo management tasks, and is pretty user friendly. I'd never considered
writing my own program, that's beyond my pail, as it were.

Cool Beans Jenn...:) You can also make Filemaker Pro data web accessible too.... and for those who would like students to be able to pay online you can plug in a safe and secure Paypal account for your Dojo.

Anyone who is good with a computer can use Filemaker Pro after a few hours of instruction. It's very user friendly.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you're enjoying the surf today. :)

William Hazen

edwilli 06-18-2010 02:51 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
I've created The Dojo Manager (http://thedojomanager.com), for small and medium dojos. It's still in beta, so it's free, but even when it's out of beta the fee will be very small, to allow even small schools to be able to afford it.

It's all online, so no software to install and you can use it from any Internet connection.

Dan

arjandevries 06-22-2010 11:37 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Dan Williams wrote: (Post 259538)
I've created The Dojo Manager (http://thedojomanager.com), for small and medium dojos. It's still in beta, so it's free, but even when it's out of beta the fee will be very small, to allow even small schools to be able to afford it.

It's all online, so no software to install and you can use it from any Internet connection.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am interested but the site does not work. Can you fix this? (Uesd firefox).

Thanks,

Arjan

Rabih Shanshiry 06-22-2010 01:08 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Arjan de Vries wrote: (Post 259755)
Hi Dan,

I am interested but the site does not work. Can you fix this? (Uesd firefox).

Thanks,

Arjan

Arjan,

Try taking the close paranethesis out of the URL.

...rab

arjandevries 06-22-2010 02:00 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Rabih Shanshiry wrote: (Post 259765)
Arjan,

Try taking the close paranethesis out of the URL.

...rab

That did the trirck... Stupid of me I did not check!

Thanks

danielajames 06-22-2010 05:12 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Slightly OT
I have seen a few setups around the traps, a nice half way point is a book for attendance and collect fees using paypal (its easy to setup). Going to dojo management software means a computer, possibly internet connection, maintaing the computer, backup strategies and probably you still need someone to drive it turn it on/off before and after class. Its all a question of scale I think if the dojo is full time with lots of people coming through the door its probably helpful, but i suspect for the vast majority of dojo its a cool idea but maybe a time sink that distracts from training

Abasan 06-22-2010 05:51 PM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
Quote:

Rabih Shanshiry wrote: (Post 259765)
Arjan,

Try taking the close paranethesis out of the URL.

...rab

Let me guess, IT Support. :D

TreyPrice 06-24-2010 08:17 AM

Re: Dojo managment software
 
I have always thought it would be good to have a swipe card to track attendance. I am a school principal and swipe cards are great. The alternative is a key pad to enter a "student" number.

I think it would also be good to have seminar information after students train away.

I would love to see what you develop when you are done.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.