AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2nd Kyu (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17656)

dalen7 02-05-2010 03:04 PM

2nd Kyu
 
Just for the sake of interest, as I realize Aikido has a diverse testing system, I thought I would post what my upcoming 2nd kyu test looks like. :)

Gyaku Hanmi Katate Tori:
Sumi Otoshi [corner drop]
Kubi Nage [neck throw]

Ryote Tori:
Koshi Nage [hip throw]

Kata Tori Menuchi:
Shiho Nage
Irimi Nage
Kote Gaeshi
Koshi Nage

Mae Geri
Irimi Nage

Ushiro Ryote Tori [Tekubi Tori]:
Koshi Nage/Sankyo [a.k.a. Koshi Nage Kote Hineri]

Ushiro Ryokata Tori:
Irimi Nage
Kote Gaeshi

Ushiro Ryo Hiji Tori:
Irimi Nage
Kote Gaeshi

Ushiro Katate Tori Kubishime:
Kote Gaeshi

Yokomenuchi:
Sankyo
Yonkyo
Gokyo

Tsuki [Jodan]:
Nikkyo
Sankyo

Kata Tori Menuchi:
Ikkyo

Mune Tori:
Uchi Kaiten Sankyo

Ushiro Ryote Tori [Tekubi Tori]
Sankyo

Ushiro Ryokata Tori:
Ikkyo
Nikkyo
Sankyo

Ushiro Katate Tori Kubishime:
Ikkyo

Suwari Waza Tsuki [Chudan]:
Kote Gaeshi

Suwari Waza Shomenuchi:
Soto Kaiten Nage

Suwari Waza Tsuki [Jodan]:
Ikkyo

Suwari Waza Ryokata Tori:
Ikkyo

- 2 attackers: Ryote Tori
- 2 attackers: Shomenuchi
- 2 attackers Tsuki [Chudan]

... and some misc. items like 10 Kihon Jo, and 5 techniques with tanto, etc.

-----------
I find it interesting to see how various places have their testing schedules set up, so I thought I would share ours... well at least for the upcoming exam.

It seems like a lot, but most of the techniques I actually know - its just a matter of working them with various attacks.

The 'new' techniques are really Sumi Otoshi, Kubi Nage, and deeper into Koshinage

Also we have more emphasis on the ushiro techniques as you can see. [As for suwari waza... it works, not a favorite - knees get tired after awhile.] :D

Feel free to post your testing requirements up - it would be cool to find another schedule which is similar. [I assume by 1st Dan it all adds up to about the same thing, as everyone gets their ranks through Hombu and/or through a 'super Shihan' like Tamura Sensei, etc.]

Peace

dAlen

Mark Gibbons 02-05-2010 03:29 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 251722)
Feel free to post your testing requirements up - it would be cool to find another schedule which is similar. [I assume by 1st Dan it all adds up to about the same thing, as everyone gets their ranks through Hombu and/or through a 'super Shihan' like Tamura Sensei, etc.]

Peace

dAlen

Lots of folks get ranks not through Hombu or a super Shihan. I think its more a case of knowing how to play the scales in any key. Then you are ready to start learning to play music.

That's a long test list. Looks like fun. How many uke will you use during a test?

Mark

dalen7 02-05-2010 04:01 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Mark Gibbons wrote: (Post 251724)
Lots of folks get ranks not through Hombu or a super Shihan. I think its more a case of knowing how to play the scales in any key. Then you are ready to start learning to play music.

That's a long test list. Looks like fun. How many uke will you use during a test?

Mark

One uke for everything listed above, who is testing as well for the same rank.
When finished we will switch and I will play the role of uke - as you can see the test can take a lot out of you! :)

Also, typically it has been with someone from another dojo that I have never practiced with... which made things really interesting!

And for Jiyuwaza I will have two ukes for three separate types of attacks.

I tend to agree with your analogy by the way. ;)

Peace,

dAlen

David Maidment 02-05-2010 05:24 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 251722)
Also we have more emphasis on the ushiro techniques as you can see.

Looks nice and varied... almost all of the techniques for my next test (sankyu, in about a month) are ushiro. It's notoriously the most difficult test in our organisation until nidan.

The techniques I'll have to perform are:

Ushiro Ryote Kubi Dori
Shihonage
Jujigarame
Yonkyo

Ushiro Ryote Tekubi Kubi Dori
Kotegaeshi
Iriminage
Kaitennage
Ikkyo
Yonkyo

Ushiro Ryote Kata Dori
Kotegaeshi
Tenchinage
Kaitennage
Ikkyo
Sankyo

Ushiro Ryote Hiji Dori
Shihonage
Kotegaeshi
Irimitsuki
Ikkyo

Ushiro Eri Dori
Iriminage
Tenchinage
Kaitennage
Hijishime
Ikkyo

Hamni Handachi Wasa
Yokomen Uchi - Shihonage
Shomen Uchi - Ikkyo
Ryote Dori - Iriminage

Jo Wasa
Shihonage
Kotegaeshi
Iriminage
Tenchinage

+ Random Techniques

ilia rudnitskiy 02-05-2010 05:27 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
That is long! Here's our nikyu test:

Yokomen-uchi..............................Nikyo
Katatedori gyaku-hanmi.................Kote-gaeshi
Katatedori gyaku-hanmi................Irimi-nage
HHW Ushiro Ryokatadori...............Shiho-nage
Tsuki ..........................................Ikkyo
Tsuki ..........................................Nikyo
Tsuki ..........................................Sankyo
Tsuki ..........................................Yonkyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori........................Ikkyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Nikyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Sankyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Yonkyo
1 Attacker...................................Jiyuwaza

dalen7 02-05-2010 05:41 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

David Maidment wrote: (Post 251733)
Looks nice and varied... almost all of the techniques for my next test (sankyu, in about a month) are ushiro. It's notoriously the most difficult test in our organisation until nidan.

That is indeed quite a bit of Ushiro.

I remember trying to learn it [Ushiro Waza] for the first time for my 3rd kyu... was a bit awkward with some of the techniques. [But same goes for Yokomenuchi as well.] :)
It seems to be going a bit smoother, at least I hope so in light of the amount of Ushiro on this test. :)

Your list has elements of what will be in my 1st kyu, when/if I ever get around to it.

We have a lot of the Hamni Hanachi Waza at that level along with the added technique of Jujigarame and some other Otoshi[s]? :D

Anyway, it was cool seeing your list - fun seeing what other people are up to.

Peace

dAlen

dalen7 02-05-2010 05:55 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Ilia Rudnitskiy wrote: (Post 251734)
That is long! Here's our nikyu test:

Yokomen-uchi..............................Nikyo
Katatedori gyaku-hanmi.................Kote-gaeshi
Katatedori gyaku-hanmi................Irimi-nage
HHW Ushiro Ryokatadori...............Shiho-nage
Tsuki ..........................................Ikkyo
Tsuki ..........................................Nikyo
Tsuki ..........................................Sankyo
Tsuki ..........................................Yonkyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori........................Ikkyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Nikyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Sankyo
Ushiro Ryokatadori.......................Yonkyo
1 Attacker...................................Jiyuwaza

Yes, it can get long... whats harder is when your the uke first.
[The test is quite physically demanding/tiring actually.] :)

I like your list by the way... it does seem a bit more manageable. ;)

Peace

dAlen

JO 02-05-2010 09:36 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
This is the requirements in the USAF (this was my exam, though my sensei has slightly modified the test in putting 3 attackers for the randori). It was the exam I was least satisfied with at the time. So good luck.

2nd Kyu (Nikyu) 200 practice days after 3rd Kyu
Seminar attendance is encouraged
Shomenuchi Shihonage (omote & ura)
Shomenuchi Kaitennage (omote & ura)
Yokomenuchi Gokyo (omote & ura)
Ushiro Tekubitori Shihonage (omote & ura)
Ushiro Kubishime Koshinage (2 variations)
Ushiro Tekubitori Jujinage (omote & ura)
Morotetori Nikyo (omote & ura)
Hanmi handachi:
Shomenuchi Iriminage
Katatetori Nikyo (omote & ura)
Yokomenuchi Kotegaeshi (omote & ura)
Jiyu waza and Randori (2 attackers)

dalen7 02-06-2010 02:43 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Jonathan Olson wrote: (Post 251744)
This is the requirements in the USAF (this was my exam, though my sensei has slightly modified the test in putting 3 attackers for the randori). It was the exam I was least satisfied with at the time. So good luck.

One thing seems to be clear, across the board everyone is versed in Ushiro Waza by 2nd kyu. ;)
Also everyone so far has HHW which we trade out for KubiNage I suppose. ;) [We practice HHW but is not required until 1st Kyu...]

I relate to what your last statement said, my 3rd kyu exam was the one I was least satisfied with... hoping to change that for my 2nd kyu.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
I just remembered this is even more interesting as some places have 5 kyus and others, like my dojo, have 6. [As of now it appears at around 2nd kyu things are evening out whatever differences may be there initially... as mentioned at least we can do Ushiro Waza together!] :D

dalen7 02-06-2010 03:02 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Ilia & Johnathan,

I am curious about the length of the test.
Im guessing its shorter because your sensei has had time to evaluate all your techniques and feels confident your smooth in all of them, therefore the test is more of a ceremony to show the flow of where your at?

At a certain point I suppose once you gain various underlying principles there really isnt a need to go 'in-depth' to test, as you either got what will make a technique work or not.

I can see the merit in both testing methods I suppose.
[Both show skill, one is just an aerobic version, of which I need to improve on] :D

Peace

dAlen

JO 02-06-2010 10:54 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Our kyu tests last about 10 minutes. Though you usually also have to take ukemi for another student's test, which means you have to "perform" for about 20 minutes. Your right that the sensei already knows what you are capable of before the test. In my dojo, I've never seen him fail anybody, but I have seen him refuse to let someone present themselves for a test. It's still a bit more than ceremony, and your expected to work on the specific techniques of the test to put on a good show. We have a free practice on Fridays which is mostly used for this type of preparation.

ilia rudnitskiy 02-06-2010 01:36 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 251753)
Ilia & Johnathan,

I am curious about the length of the test.
Im guessing its shorter because your sensei has had time to evaluate all your techniques and feels confident your smooth in all of them, therefore the test is more of a ceremony to show the flow of where your at?

At a certain point I suppose once you gain various underlying principles there really isnt a need to go 'in-depth' to test, as you either got what will make a technique work or not.

I can see the merit in both testing methods I suppose.
[Both show skill, one is just an aerobic version, of which I need to improve on] :D

Peace

dAlen

Yes, that is more or less the reason I think. We have about 3 hours of practice where Kawahara shihan goes around and examines everyone, so that gives him plenty of time. I haven't seen anybody fail ever at my dojo for the past 8 years I've been there (I did miss a couple of seminars so I'm not 100% sure).

My ikkyu test was a bit longer though, (on paper anyways)... but sensei only made me show about 70% of the test. Our shodan test is the same as ikkyu, and I'll let you know how many of the techniques I had to do for that one when I do it next month.

dalen7 02-06-2010 02:04 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Ilia Rudnitskiy wrote: (Post 251768)
Our shodan test is the same as ikkyu, and I'll let you know how many of the techniques I had to do for that one when I do it next month.

Shodan... totally cool, have fun! :)

dalen7 02-06-2010 02:06 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Jonathan Olson wrote: (Post 251762)
We have a free practice on Fridays which is mostly used for this type of preparation.

Thats cool to have a time set aside for exam practice.
[I just started something on the side to allow the guys from our dojo to do the same - its worked out pretty good so far.] :)

ilia rudnitskiy 02-06-2010 04:35 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 251770)
Shodan... totally cool, have fun! :)

Thanks! :)

chillzATL 02-07-2010 09:34 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Congrats on the testing! Here's ours for Nikyu.

1. Katate Tori Kokyu Nage(Hantai)
2. Katate -Tori Kote-Gaeshi (Hantai)
3. Katate -Tori Kote-Gaeshi (Hansha)
4. Katate -Tori Tenchi-Nage(Irimi)
5. Katate -Tori Kaiten-Nage
6. Katate -Tori Shiho-Nage(Irimi)
7. Katate -Tori Shiho-Nage(Tenkan)
8. Katate -Tori Sankyo (Hantai)
9. Katate -Tori Ikkyo (Hansha)
10. Katate -Tori Nikkyo (Hansha)
11. Kata-Tori Ikkyo (Irimi)
12. Kata-Tori Ikkyo (Tenkan)
13. Kata-Tori Sumi-Otoshi
14. Kata-Tori Nikkyo (Irimi)
15. Kata-Tori Kokyu Nage(Irimi)
16. Kata-Tori Kokyu Nage(Tenkan)
17. Yokomen Uchi Shiho Nage(Irimi)
18. Yokomen Uchi Shiho Nage(Tenkan)
19. Yokomen Uchi Kokyu Nage(Irimi)
20. Yokomen Uchi Kokyu Nage(Tenkan)
21. Yokomen Uchi Ikkyo (Tenkan)
22. Yokomen Uchi Kote Gaeshi (Hantai )
23. Shomen Uchi Kokyu Nage(Irimi)
24. Shomen Uchi Kokyu Nage(Tenkan)
25. Shomen Uchi Kote Gaeshi
26. Shomen Uchi Ikkyo (Irimi)
27. Shomen Uchi Ikkyo (Tenkan)
28. Shomen Uchi Nikkyo
29. Shomen Uchi Sankyo
30. Shomen Uchi Kaiten-Nage
31. Mune-Tsuki Kote Gaeshi
32. Mune-Tsuki Kaiten-Nage
33. Mune-Tsuki Nikkyo (Hantai Tenkan)
34. Mune-Tsuki Ikkyo (Hantai Tenkan)
35. Mune-Tsuki Kote-Gaeshi (Hantai Tenkan)
36. Ryote-Tori Tenchi Nage(Irimi)
37. Ryote-Tori Tenchi Nage(Tenkan)
38. Ryote-Tori Kokyo Nage(Tenkan)
39. Ryote-Tori Shiho Nage(Irimi)
40. Katate -Tori Ryote-Mochi Kokyu Nage(Tenkan)
41. Katate -Tori Ryote-Mochi Kote-Gaeshi
42. Ushiro Tekubi-Tori Ikkyo
43. Ushiro Tekubi-Tori Kote-Gaeshi
44. Ushiro Tekubi-Tori sankyo
45. Yokomen -Uchi Ude-Osae
46. Yokomen -Uchi Kata Otoshi
47. Ushiro Kata-Tori Kokyu -Nage
48. Ushiro Kata-Tori Kokyu -Nage(Ago Tsuki Age)
49. Ushiro -Tori Kokyu Nage
50. Ushiro Katate -Tori Kubi-Shime Sankyo (A, B, and Koshi-Nage)

Each technique is done both sides. This preceeded by oral testing on aikido history, etc. You may also be asked to do kokyu dosa, ki testing, etc usually after the 50 basic. Then you're given optionals, which is sensei's choice. A minimum of five variations on whatever is called (could be either attack or technique specific, ie all yokomen, or koshi, shime, etc). You could be asked to do suwari waza and/or hanmi handachi. That's followed by jo (and sometimes bokken) kata, then jo tori, general randori and lastly ryokata tori randori until you can't continue. Also, after the test you are expected to given a written thesis on aikido, martial arts, etc. Around two pages up do shodan, 10+ afterwards.

dalen7 02-07-2010 09:52 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 251803)
Congrats on the testing! Here's ours for Nikyu.

Each technique is done both sides. This preceeded by oral testing on aikido history, etc. You may also be asked to do kokyu dosa, ki testing, etc usually after the 50 basic. Then you're given optionals, which is sensei's choice. A minimum of five variations on whatever is called (could be either attack or technique specific, ie all yokomen, or koshi, shime, etc). You could be asked to do suwari waza and/or hanmi handachi. That's followed by jo (and sometimes bokken) kata, then jo tori, general randori and lastly ryokata tori randori until you can't continue. Also, after the test you are expected to given a written thesis on aikido, martial arts, etc. Around two pages up do shodan, 10+ afterwards.

Your from Hungary aren't you Jason! ;)
[They are quite intense with any test - the university test are mind twisters and are meant to see what you DON'T know as well as to 'trip' you up... the drivers license test also is a doozy, its not just a one time stop and pick up a license bit, as well as being expensive]

Anyway... :)
Seriously though, am I correct that this covers all the material previously learned from 6th kyu up?

Quite extensive indeed - you must have some energy indeed for all of this, especially if you turn around and act as uke afterwards. [The falling down and getting up wears me out more than doing the techniques! - of course] :)

The thesis is a new twist, but intriguing as you have to try to put into words what you know.

Are you part of Aiki-kai? I saw mention of ki test, so perhaps ki-aikido?

Thanks for sharing... by the way how is the flow in the dojo?
Can you comment on how the performance consistency is per level? Do you believe this structure helps in that? [I assume you have time set aside to practice for the exams, or you have to do this on your own time?]

Peace

dAlen

chillzATL 02-07-2010 10:55 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 251805)
Your from Hungary aren't you Jason! ;)
Seriously though, am I correct that this covers all the material previously learned from 6th kyu up?

Quite extensive indeed - you must have some energy indeed for all of this, especially if you turn around and act as uke afterwards. [The falling down and getting up wears me out more than doing the techniques! - of course] :)

The thesis is a new twist, but intriguing as you have to try to put into words what you know.

Are you part of Aiki-kai? I saw mention of ki test, so perhaps ki-aikido?

Thanks for sharing... by the way how is the flow in the dojo?
Can you comment on how the performance consistency is per level? Do you believe this structure helps in that? [I assume you have time set aside to practice for the exams, or you have to do this on your own time?]

Peace

dAlen

Thank you! :)

Well, 5th (we start at 5th) through 3rd kyu you have the 15 basic techniques, rather than the 50, but apart from that the test's are very similar across the board. The main difference is what you're asked to do outside the 15/50 and the intensity level you're expected to perform under.

Yes it's quite exhausting, even from 5th kyu and on. As I mentioned the ryokata randori continues until you cannot, at all levels. Nikyu and up typically takes over an hour. If you were taking ukemi for someone after your own test, I think they'd probably cut you some slack and make sure you didn't have to go immediately after your own test.

We're a Ki society offshoot (the first I believe). Our sensei (Roy Suenaka) trained under O'sensei and Tohei sensei and was one of Tohei sensei's shihan when he broke from the Aikikai. He separated from Tohei sensei around 1977 and has been teaching his own style out of Charleston, Sc since then. It's obviously very similar to what Tohei sensei was teaching in those early years, but also contains a lot of what he learned from O'sensei directly as well as his own extensive martial arts background and combat history. We're recognized by the Aikikai, by way of his history with them, but not affiliated beyond that.

Well, if I'm interpreting what you're asking about flow correctly, it's an important part of what we do, but it's never emphasized for its own sake. Good flow should be a result of proper technique, body mechanics, focus on ki principles, etc and not just there to look good. We're considered by most to be a hard style though.

We're a small, tight organization, so the skill level is consistent. I'm not aware of anyone getting rank just for showing up. We only test once per year, at best. So if you're asked to test it's because your sensei knows you're ready, but you're still expected to perform during the test and the quality/level of that is what really determines the outcome.

David Maidment 02-07-2010 12:41 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
I wish there were more tests like that.

In particular, I like the notion of writing essays as a requirement. It sometimes makes me cringe to see those with high ranks who know less about the history of Aikido than I did when I first began training.

Linda Eskin 02-07-2010 01:20 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about 2nd kyu for a few years (just did 5th kyu yesterday). Here's ours:

2 Kyu Exam Content

Suwariwaza: shomen-uchi ikkyo—yonkyo (omote & ura)
Hanmi handachi: katate-dori shihonage, ryote-dori shihonage
Shomen-uchi: ikkyo—yonkyo, kotegaeshi, iriminage, kokyunage or kokyuho, kaeten nage
Munetsuki: kotegaeshi, iriminage, kokyunage or kokyuho, kaeten nage
Gyakute-dori: kotegaeshi, iriminage, kokyunage or kokyuho
Katate-dori: iriminage, kotegaeshi, kaetennage
Hiji-dori: 3 variations
Morote-dori: 3 variations
Ryote-dori: 3 variations
Ushiroryote-dori: shihonage, kotegaeshi, kokyunage or kokyuho
Jiyuwaza: 1 then 2 attackers
Ukemi: receiving jiyuwaza
Bokken: right/left awase, happo-giri
Jo: 31 jo kata

I'm not sure how long the test is. I think somewhere on the order of 30 minutes? There was a 3rd kyu test yesterday, and it seemed to go on forever. :p I got exhausted just watching it.

You can see all our other test requirements on the Exams page for Aikido of San Diego. We are part of the California Aikido Association, and Aikikai-affiliated group.

At 2nd kyu students begin working on their Black Belt Project which could be a variety of things, including a thesis sort of project. I've been told there is a collection of them in our dojo library. I should read them!

chillzATL 02-07-2010 04:07 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Linda Eskin wrote: (Post 251817)
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about 2nd kyu for a few years (just did 5th kyu yesterday). Here's ours:

Congrats!

Basia Halliop 02-07-2010 04:35 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

I am curious about the length of the test.
Im guessing its shorter because your sensei has had time to evaluate all your techniques and feels confident your smooth in all of them, therefore the test is more of a ceremony to show the flow of where your at?
I'm not positive, but I have always assumed it's partly because the emphasis is supposed to be less on the shear number of different techniques, but more on how well you use the basic principles, ways of moving, posture, etc, in all your techniques. I'm not sure you need to see 50 different techniques to see what level someone's at -- after all, many of the techniques tested at 5th kyu may be ones you use in randori or in the jiuwaza in more advanced levels, but the quality of the technique would be different.

dalen7 02-07-2010 05:59 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Jason Casteel wrote: (Post 251809)

We're a Ki society offshoot (the first I believe). Our sensei (Roy Suenaka) trained under O'sensei and Tohei sensei and was one of Tohei sensei's shihan when he broke from the Aikikai. He separated from Tohei sensei around 1977 and has been teaching his own style out of Charleston, Sc since then. It's obviously very similar to what Tohei sensei was teaching in those early years, but also contains a lot of what he learned from O'sensei directly as well as his own extensive martial arts background and combat history. We're recognized by the Aikikai, by way of his history with them, but not affiliated beyond that.

I would like to try a Ki Society one day... been interested in it ever since I read interviews with Tohei Sensei. [I believe he is still alive, but retired?]

Ive heard they have videos but you have to be a member to purchase them? [Interesting that its not open for public purchase, but I guess I can see the logic there.] :)

Thanks for sharing about your organization.

Quote:

Linda Eskin wrote: (Post 251817)
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about 2nd kyu for a few years (just did 5th kyu yesterday). Here's ours:

Linda it looks like they give you a nice variation of techniques at the beginning to work and get familiar with... thats pretty cool.

Quote:

Basia Halliop wrote: (Post 251828)
... but more on how well you use the basic principles, ways of moving, posture, etc, in all your techniques.

totally understand... :)

Peace

dAlen

chillzATL 02-07-2010 06:54 PM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

Basia Halliop wrote: (Post 251828)
I'm not positive, but I have always assumed it's partly because the emphasis is supposed to be less on the shear number of different techniques, but more on how well you use the basic principles, ways of moving, posture, etc, in all your techniques. I'm not sure you need to see 50 different techniques to see what level someone's at -- after all, many of the techniques tested at 5th kyu may be ones you use in randori or in the jiuwaza in more advanced levels, but the quality of the technique would be different.

The principles and components of a good technique don't change based on the number of techniques you're expected to know and be able to demonstrate competently. When you're trained around focusing on those principles and improving through them, the number of techniques really become little more than ways to demonstrate those principles from a variety of situations, which improves and strengthens everything.

john.burn 02-08-2010 06:05 AM

Re: 2nd Kyu
 
Quote:

David Maidment wrote: (Post 251733)
Looks nice and varied... almost all of the techniques for my next test (sankyu, in about a month) are ushiro. It's notoriously the most difficult test in our organisation until nidan.

The techniques I'll have to perform are:

Ushiro Ryote Kubi Dori
Shihonage
Jujigarame
Yonkyo

I'm guessing you train in Coventry then? Grading seems very familiar to me, good luck! I always thought it was the nicest grading in the entire syllabus ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.