AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Basic Internal training exercises? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17467)

Shane Goodrich 01-04-2010 11:32 PM

Basic Internal training exercises?
 
I recently had the opportunity to meet with Dan Harden(last Wednesday), I had no idea who he was, though I now realize he is quite the name in the internal martial arts world. On the previous Monday I work with some of his students doing 2 person exercises and did a bit more of those with Dan. And I was very impressed.

Unfortunately I did not learn any solo stuff. And it was an unusual chance for me to even meet with his students, let alone Dan himself. And it may be some time before I meet with those students again and I may never meet Dan again.
So I need some help with internal solo exercises, I've search a bit on this forum but did not come across what I was looking for, either the stuff was too advanced or used lots of terms I was not familiar with.

Can any one direct me to some videos, books or other information regarding solo training for the beginner with no prior internal art experience(unless you count the 5 hours or so last week).

Anything(legit) would be better than nothing, thanks.

bob_stra 01-05-2010 12:58 AM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Sure; as a rough start to some easy to source material, here's some stuff specifically -

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/shop/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyPw-uJqw8

http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-strength/

You're probably /eventually going to have to involve yourself somewhat deeper than an acquaintance with 'exercises', as 'all buses may be motor vehicles, but not all motor vehicles are buses'.

It may be best to communicate with Dan specifically, seeing you're interested in how Dan does things. FWIW

jss 01-05-2010 01:26 AM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Shane Goodrich wrote: (Post 249641)
Anything(legit) would be better than nothing, thanks.

The legitimacy does not come from which exercises you do, but from how you do them, so I'd advice you to try go get Dan or one of his students to show you the solo exercise they do. In the mean time, try to relate the solo exercises you find to the partner exercises you did. It will increase your chances of doing them correctly.

DH 01-05-2010 05:07 PM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Shane Goodrich wrote: (Post 249641)
I recently had the opportunity to meet with Dan Harden(last Wednesday), I had no idea who he was, though I now realize he is quite the name in the internal martial arts world. On the previous Monday I work with some of his students doing 2 person exercises and did a bit more of those with Dan. And I was very impressed.

Unfortunately I did not learn any solo stuff. And it was an unusual chance for me to even meet with his students, let alone Dan himself. And it may be some time before I meet with those students again and I may never meet Dan again.
So I need some help with internal solo exercises, I've search a bit on this forum but did not come across what I was looking for, either the stuff was too advanced or used lots of terms I was not familiar with.

Can any one direct me to some videos, books or other information regarding solo training for the beginner with no prior internal art experience(unless you count the 5 hours or so last week).

Anything(legit) would be better than nothing, thanks.

Hello Shane
You were the big guy with all the questions right? And hey, I'm a nobody in the Martial Arts world, internal or otherwise. Glad you had a good time, bud. Yes the circumstances were a bit unusual weren't they?
If you're really interested in how I did what I did to you guys that night; asking about it here won't get you very far. I would approach your teacher or the owner of that dojo about meeting and training with me again.
One caution that those individuals already know-that addresses some of your observations: I don't really "do" seminars. I was only there helping out some MMA / karate / Aikido teachers who are friends of mine and that's all. You might want to talk with them.
Oh...I had fun too-how's that leg!:D
Dan

Shane Goodrich 01-05-2010 11:41 PM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 249743)
Hello Shane
You were the big guy with all the questions right? And hey, I'm a nobody in the Martial Arts world, internal or otherwise. Glad you had a good time, bud. Yes the circumstances were a bit unusual weren't they?
If you're really interested in how I did what I did to you guys that night; asking about it here won't get you very far. I would approach your teacher or the owner of that dojo about meeting and training with me again.
One caution that those individuals already know-that addresses some of your observations: I don't really "do" seminars. I was only there helping out some MMA / karate / Aikido teachers who are friends of mine and that's all. You might want to talk with them.
Oh...I had fun too-how's that leg!:D
Dan

Hi, I sent you a pm. And no I was not that big guy I was that tall guy ;) , people that are half a foot shorter than me, weigh more and are stronger! And yes I did ask lots of questions, I always ask lots of question, I thirst for information.

As for my leg it hurt like hell when I tried to bend it for two days! I need to learn that deflection move(and just condition my body to take blows I done guess) and my tongue hurt from when I bit it, the brutality of your methods oh my:eek: .
I thought you told me you did not train newbies like me? I would really like to train with you again but I don't have a car I just got lucky that the place were Keith(my teacher) runs his classes were closed for the week, so Don(who is Keiths teacher) invited him to bring his adult class to that Karate place. I came along and met you and now I wish to add Internal training to my martial arts practice.
I recall you telling me the importance of solo training and how people were able to make gains with only 3 or 4 training sessions with you along with regular practice of the solo exercises.
Thanks for the help you gave me, hopefully I can further my study of internal arts.

Shane Goodrich 01-05-2010 11:56 PM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Bob Strahinjevich wrote: (Post 249650)
Sure; as a rough start to some easy to source material, here's some stuff specifically -

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/shop/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyPw-uJqw8

http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-strength/

You're probably /eventually going to have to involve yourself somewhat deeper than an acquaintance with 'exercises', as 'all buses may be motor vehicles, but not all motor vehicles are buses'.

It may be best to communicate with Dan specifically, seeing you're interested in how Dan does things. FWIW

Thanks I will check the links out.

DH 01-06-2010 08:33 AM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Hello Shane
I spoke with Terry last night after class. Have Keith give Don a call.
Dan

rob_liberti 01-06-2010 09:51 AM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 249794)
Hello Shane
I spoke with Terry last night after class. Have Keith give Don a call.
Dan

Shane, it was nice meeting you.
Keith is a great guy and you are lucky to have him for a teacher.
If you can get to UConn - which is a lot closer to you - one of my students (Brian) is teaching aikido there on a rotation. Brian has a good handle on the solo and paired practices we learned from Dan.

The advice you got above about concentrating on how to do the solo work is very good advice - so is the advice about contacting your teacher.

Rob

DH 01-06-2010 10:08 AM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Brian is a bit of a surpise isn't he?
Shane, that's a good chance for getting started.
Dan

Shane Goodrich 01-06-2010 12:31 PM

Re: Basic Internal training exercises?
 
Quote:

Rob Liberti wrote: (Post 249798)
Shane, it was nice meeting you.
Keith is a great guy and you are lucky to have him for a teacher.
If you can get to UConn - which is a lot closer to you - one of my students (Brian) is teaching aikido there on a rotation. Brian has a good handle on the solo and paired practices we learned from Dan.

The advice you got above about concentrating on how to do the solo work is very good advice - so is the advice about contacting your teacher.

Rob

Hi Rob, I emailed you at some hotmail address asking about those Uconn Aikido classes a few days ago, Uconn is only 15 mins away and I have a friend who is also interested(who has a car). When does this person teach? How much do the classes cost? Does he incorporated the internal stuff into the classes or more of a ask after class kind of thing? Thanks for the help in class, I really liked all the mental images you were trying to get me to think about to help get my body doing things the correct way.

On Tuesday Keith, Bruce and I tried practicing those two person exercises(pushing on each other chests, walking forward while being pushed,etc) it was fun, but challenging.

Dan: I will tell Kieth to call.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.