AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fat Aikido Feet? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16605)

seele 08-08-2009 08:32 PM

Fat Aikido Feet?

I've been practicing aikido for about 4 months now and I love it. I'm in better shape and even lost a little weight. But one weird thing is happening to my body I never expected: my feet are getting fat!

I've always had pretty bony feet and small ankles. I was a runner through high school and college and played other sports like softball, soccer, and basketball. But I always had bony feet.. up until aikido!

I noticed about a month ago my feet were looking a little fleshy. This was very strange because my ankles weren't swollen and I actually lost a little weight. Why do my feet look fat?

So I started looking around at other people's feet during class. Everyone's feet looked pretty fleshy, from the skinny to the in-shape to the heftier types. It ends up that my feet aren't swollen or fat, they're gaining muscle!

Who would have thought you could build muscle in your feet? For someone who has always been active (especially with lower-body activities such as running) this is very strange that only aikido has had this effect. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wonder if I will need to buy bigger shoes! :eek:

gdandscompserv 08-08-2009 08:36 PM

Re: Fat Aikido Feet?

If you ever get the chance, check out Kevin Choate Sensei's feet!:D

ninjaqutie 08-08-2009 09:22 PM

Hhhm.. I don't think my feet have gotten bigger, but I do think they are uglier. HAHA. Despite my lotioning, they are still getting dry & hard. YUCK!

Ryan Seznee 08-09-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote: (Post 237140)

I noticed about a month ago my feet were looking a little fleshy. This was very strange because my ankles weren't swollen and I actually lost a little weight. Why do my feet look fat?

So I started looking around at other people's feet during class. Everyone's feet looked pretty fleshy, from the skinny to the in-shape to the heftier types. It ends up that my feet aren't swollen or fat, they're gaining muscle!

Who would have thought you could build muscle in your feet? For someone who has always been active (especially with lower-body activities such as running) this is very strange that only aikido has had this effect. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wonder if I will need to buy bigger shoes! :eek:

Personally, I have lost muscle mass on my lower body because I can't run as much as I used to (falls and throws get your joints sore), and this includes my feet. I can see how you could build muscle on it with all of the sinking and centering we do, but I have not experianced this (my wife was complaining about it in her feet not too long ago, though).

Shadowfax 08-09-2009 06:07 AM

I believe it has to do with the mats. Walking and moving constantly on such a deep surface. I suspect if one were to take a look at the feet of surfers who spend a lot of time running on sand the same might be seen.

Hey at least fat feet can be hidden by shoes and sock outside the dojo. And its not likely someone is gonna look at you and say," boy your feet are fat."

Janet Rosen 08-09-2009 11:26 AM

I don't know about "fat" but certainly anything that involves being active and shoeless will result in a natural "splaying" of the feet. I thinks it is a GOOD thing to have that time to explore proprioception without shoes - better than all the sports and exercises that people wear special supportive footwear for - because humans were meant to walk and run and jump barefooted and experience their relationship to the rest of the world that way.

Shadowfax 08-09-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Janet Rosen wrote: (Post 237178)
I don't know about "fat" but certainly anything that involves being active and shoeless will result in a natural "splaying" of the feet. I thinks it is a GOOD thing to have that time to explore proprioception without shoes - better than all the sports and exercises that people wear special supportive footwear for - because humans were meant to walk and run and jump barefooted and experience their relationship to the rest of the world that way.

lo

l ya know I keep trying to explain the same thing to horse owners regarding horse shoes. And the cool thing is that very often horses feet do expand and get larger when they are taken out of shoes and allowed to develop a healthy bare foot. :p Surefooted increases, tripping decreases and the whole mechanism of the foot becomes healthier. Of course all of this takes time. now you got me thinking barefoot is not such a bad thing for us humans as well.

Eva Antonia 08-10-2009 02:36 AM

Dear all,

strange! I do aikido since nearly three years, and rather intensively, and it changed absolutely NOTHING in my body. I was thin and over-flexible before, without much developed muscles, and that's exactly what I stayed. My feet were small and bony before, and they still are. But I read somewhere that there are people who are just "untrainable", and no matter how much they train they never develop more muscle mass...I suppose I am of these (anyway, I'd like to
get more muscled ARMS, not FEET!)

Best regards,

Eva

Ron Tisdale 08-11-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 237197)
lo

l ya know I keep trying to explain the same thing to horse owners regarding horse shoes. And the cool thing is that very often horses feet do expand and get larger when they are taken out of shoes and allowed to develop a healthy bare foot. :p Surefooted increases, tripping decreases and the whole mechanism of the foot becomes healthier. Of course all of this takes time. now you got me thinking barefoot is not such a bad thing for us humans as well.

yeah, but I'll bet you won't be working around the horses barefoot! :D At least *I* wouldn't...

Best,
Ron (squish, ouch! squish, eeeeewwwww)

Shadowfax 08-20-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote: (Post 237466)
yeah, but I'll bet you won't be working around the horses barefoot! :D At least *I* wouldn't...

Best,
Ron (squish, ouch! squish, eeeeewwwww)

yeah well then we would be posting about Flat Aikido feet.....I've been stepped on by a 2,000 pound horse... not fun. This is where tenkan comes in really handy at the barn.

Ron Tisdale 08-21-2009 06:32 AM

Cherry the draft horse used to sneeze at my tenkan. All 16 hands of her! :D And then she would lean on me, and snicker when I fell over.... :eek:

B,
R

Shadowfax 08-21-2009 07:09 AM

ROTFL dontcha just love a horse that knows Kokyu-ho? :D

phitruong 08-21-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Cherie Cornmesser wrote: (Post 238390)
yeah well then we would be posting about Flat Aikido feet.....I've been stepped on by a 2,000 pound horse... not fun. This is where tenkan comes in really handy at the barn.

see your horse and raise you a water buffalo. got step on by a water buffalo while knee deep in the mud. after lots of screaming and yelling for the darn thing to pickup its foot, decided to kick it in the head. buffalo turned head and foot connected to teeth. big gash on the bottom of foot. swelling on top, gash on the bottom. hurt for weeks. funny thing was folks kept telling me i have woman feet. i guess i have small aikido feet. does size matter? :)

Ron Tisdale 08-21-2009 11:27 AM

Hmmmm....note to self: When trying to get the attention of a water buffalo, do NOT kick it in the teeth! :D

B,
R (what ever possessed you???)