AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thoughts on Free Dojo Website Design (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620)

tlurie 03-12-2002 09:04 AM

Thoughts on Free Dojo Website Design

Hi everyone.

I study Kinokawa Aikido in Maryland, and I also run a small web design business on the side, Level Six Design (http://www.levelsixdesign.com).

I would very much like to give back to the Aikido community that has given so much to me, and I am thinking about offering hosting and my services to dojos around the world for free (yes, gratis).

Here is how it would work - I would purchase a domain (I'm eyeing aikidodojos.com, as it is available) and set up the hosting. Once ready, I could dedicate subdomains (aikidodojos.com/yourdojoname) to dojos that would like a clean, professional, simple website. I would be happy to update the information on these sites now and again, as long as it didn't involve a massive time commitment on my part.

At this point, I'm mainly testing the waters and seeing what people think, if there would be a significant amount of interest, etc. Please give me whatever feedback you have, and if enough dojos would like, I will make this a reality. At that point, people could start submitting information/pictures to me and I would start creating sites.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Thad

"Leave your ego with your shoes: off the mats."

ze'ev erlich 03-12-2002 10:42 AM

you are kind

You are very kind.
I will show your message to my friend who just opened her Dojo in Tel-Aviv (ISRAEL)

all the best,

Ze'ev
:cool:

L. Camejo 03-12-2002 01:00 PM

Hi Tlurie,

Just some food for thought.

I am an IT Consultant and I'm also responsible for all administrative work and teaching at my dojo. As a result, it took a VERY long time before I got the time to put up our website at a free hosting area.

The problem is I have to really set aside a chunk of time to update the website, otherwise it doesn't happen.

You're idea is great, but I don't think that your wish for a minimal time outlay is realistic, especially if the idea takes off and you have a few websites to deal with simultaneously.

May be better to offer the hosting, not necessarily the updating.

Just my thoughts.

L.C.:ai::ki:

Greg Jennings 03-12-2002 01:20 PM

Re: Thoughts on Free Dojo Website Design

Quote:

Originally posted by tlurie

I would very much like to give back to the Aikido community that has given so much to me, and I am thinking about offering hosting and my services to dojos around the world for free (yes, gratis).

Great idea! I offer much the same for dojo in the association I belong to. I know the ASU does similar also.

The trick is in applying rudimentary content management. Otherwise, it gets out of hand.

Best,

tlurie 03-12-2002 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input so far.

My plan is to host this site through a provider I use for my business, thus cutting costs and also eliminating silly advertisement and popup issues.

Larry, thanks for the thoughts. I spend a lot of time working in the webworld, (at home and at work), so I'm not so worried about setting aside time - if I can make time to watch hockey, I can work while the game is on ;)

Greg, I hear you. I have every intention of building a base content management system in ColdFusion and using that as the foundation for all the sites. If enough dojos are interested, I might also invest the time to develop content management tools so that the dojos can update the schedules/announcements themselves.

Thanks again, guys. The more input I get, the more effective my service will be. :D

Thad

villrg0a 06-08-2004 10:59 PM

Great idea Thad for those who do not have an existing site yet. But for those who already have existing sites, how about a link sorted by country? for Example if someone types" aikido iraq" your site will come to show a link to that aikido site in iraq - just a thought :)

Best regards
Mel

Waldir 08-28-2004 06:17 PM

Hi Thad , i apriciate if you give me a hand on this matter .
Im a part of small dojo in Brazil and would like to have a good website , with pictures , and all kind of information to our students .

How can i get your hep on this??

Thanks in advance .

Waldir