AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   what technique is your kryptonite? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14989)

tobiasfelipe 08-21-2008 11:17 AM

what technique is your kryptonite?

Kotegaeshi, I never make a right one

< Supervillain > ... so after this long explanation you see the only way to stop the "Unstoppable Ray of Humanity Anihilation" is a properly executed Aikido-style Kotegaeshi
< Me > NOOOOOOOOOOO!

salim 08-21-2008 11:31 AM

Re: what technique is your kryptonite?

Buy a big gun. That will probably stop most villains.

Jesse Legon 08-22-2008 04:56 AM

I was thinking of a reply to this, but then I thought hey, I don't think there's a technique that I can not imagine ever being able to eventually *get*. Time and practice! That super villain is going to need months in a plaster cast once you've practiced your kotegaeshi enough!!

...however, if I got attacked in seiza today I'd get owned - I can't ever seem to move far enough with my poor shikko skills :(

Tinyboy344 08-24-2008 02:06 AM

Koshi-nage.... *crapped my gi-pants*

David Maidment 08-24-2008 09:47 AM

Yonkyo. If I'm training with a good Uke, I simply cannot get them down to the floor.

Yet.

Thirza Schraa 08-24-2008 03:34 PM

My ….grrrr…. is moving altogether..
I keep freezing…

Thirza Schraa

Joyce Lunas 08-29-2008 02:21 PM

Nikkyo - Yonkyo for the time being.

1. Nikkyo: Simply cannot move my hand fast enough, so as to change grappling and apply technique.
2. Yonkyo: Oh dear, i don't seem able to bend them and drop them to their knees... yet. So difficult!

But, i do hope to be so disciplined and nice in the future, so as to learn and apply faster than i could ever hoped or imagined, though... lol

Tune in with the cosmic vibes,
love - love - love

C u later,
Yoi keiko!
xxx
ooo

barry.clemons 08-29-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Tobias Felipe wrote: (Post 214163)
Kotegaeshi, I never make a right one

< Supervillain > ... so after this long explanation you see the only way to stop the "Unstoppable Ray of Humanity Anihilation" is a properly executed Aikido-style Kotegaeshi
< Me > NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anything from seiza; I have bad knees.

tobiasfelipe 09-01-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Jesse Legon wrote: (Post 214216)
I was thinking of a reply to this, but then I thought hey, I don't think there's a technique that I can not imagine ever being able to eventually *get*...

It is true, but think, how many techniques exist in Aikido? A thousand and variations? How many we will learn during our lives? 100, 150, 300 for masters in full-time training.
It guarantees always a kryptonite-technique for everyone.

Amassus 09-08-2008 11:12 PM

Shiho nage.
I'm tall and if I'm training with a really short person, I groan and then become resigned to my fate.

In truth, I am getting better, but it is one of the techniques that does not come easily.

deathlinenetworks 09-14-2008 07:14 AM

ALL TECHNIQUES ARE MY KRYPTONITE! hahaha
Although some people say my techniques work, I don't feel that they work. But of all techniques I'll say kotegaeshi is the toughest.

RoyK 09-14-2008 10:11 AM

Irimi nage is my weakness. I'm hardly ever satisfied with how I perform it, short version or long.

JCT53 05-02-2011 01:09 PM

Oshitaoshi!! Suwariwaza, grab and stab or kata, I fail at it.

Mario Tobias 05-03-2011 06:36 AM

koshinage. it's hard!

ikkyo on people much larger than me

hanmi handachi ikkyo omote

Tony Wagstaffe 05-03-2011 07:50 AM

Suwariwaza....... until my knees warm up!! :mad:

Shikko? .......... Forget it!! Prefer the judo version...:D

Eric in Denver 05-05-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Dean Suter wrote: (Post 215698)
Shiho nage.
I'm tall and if I'm training with a really short person, I groan and then become resigned to my fate.

In truth, I am getting better, but it is one of the techniques that does not come easily.

I relate to that -- at my dojo, one of the shortest people loves to pick me for shihonage. I have to go down into shikko to do it with her.

FiuzA 05-06-2011 10:21 AM

Not sure if it's my kryptonite or not, but I'd say ikkyo, both omote and ura.

It can get really difficult if your partner is not compliant at all.

ninjaqutie 05-06-2011 03:55 PM

I pretty much suck at everything.... :D I guess I am a superhero with severe allergies to all types of aikido techniques.

Aikibu 05-07-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Ashley Carter wrote: (Post 283108)
I pretty much suck at everything.... :D I guess I am a superhero with severe allergies to all types of aikido techniques.

Me Too. My Only Kryptonite in Aikido is letting my mouth write checks my techniques can't cash. :D

Humility through Humiliation!!!

William Hazen

Alberto_Italiano 05-08-2011 03:11 PM

Uhm, not sure what kryptonite is, but if it is meant my fav techinques, I can say which are the ones that normally seem to come from my hands more frequently:
1st place: Kotegaeshi
2nd place, at good distance: Sankyo

plus a strange technique, apparently unknown, that I stumbled into by chance a few days ago and that comes to me so natural easy and effctive that it seems to be becoming my fav one: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19781

PS i read: "Kotegaeshi, I never make a right one". I humbly offer my suggestion, as a bad aikidoka, about what makes my kotegaeshi normally effective (well, I also fell face down twice doing it, as I was doing tenkan also and lost footing :-) ).
With a provision though: you need to succeed in placing your opponent wrist in the right position: our ukes seem to place them already in such position, but a more aggressive uke won't, and you may end up with sort of a nikkyo as you try to get his wrist right for a kotegaeshi.

Given that, his wrist placed with palm upward, if you are placing a kotegaeshi on his, say, right hand, I see many persons focusing almost entirely on their right hand namely the one apparently more involved in the projection. But you have a left hand there too... a kotegaeshi enhances significantly if you use also your left hadn to
1) cut on the wrist
2) plummet it down to touch your hip with it
3) now you use your right hand

Also, do not swing uke's arm around - kotegaeshi on an entirely vertical plane, possibily.

If I misunderstood and kryptonite or whatever that is means the tehcniques that I am not good at, well - all the rest! :-)

FiuzA 05-08-2011 06:56 PM

Alberto yes, it is the other way around :D

Your kryptonite is your Achilles' heel, that is to say your least fav technique or the technique that usually fails you; your weakness.

Kryptonite is Superman's Achilles' heel, that's it.

I admit I didn't know this as well (the kryptonite business) but google gave me a hand ;)

Other than that, thank you for your comment anyway ;)

Grazie!

JCT53 05-19-2011 11:18 AM

Okay, I have to revise. Oshitaoshi is no longer my Kryptonite. It now is Hikiotoshi. Both the fall and the technique.

JCT53 05-19-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

William Hazen wrote: (Post 283185)
Me Too. My Only Kryptonite in Aikido is letting my mouth write checks my techniques can't cash. :D

Humility through Humiliation!!!

William Hazen

You are soo not the only one with that problem!!!!

lars beyer 03-28-2012 05:06 AM

Tapping out

JJF 03-28-2012 07:13 AM

the part between "onegaishimasu" and "arigato gozaimasu" ;)

Not particullary good at koshinage though.. it is really difficult