AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Playing with Ki? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14933)

Ryokan 08-11-2008 12:00 PM

Playing with Ki?
 
Hi all,

I just began taking aikido again (Ki Aikido this time), and I was wondering if anyone knew of ways to play with ki in everyday life -- making the world your dojo.

Larry Cuvin 08-11-2008 12:39 PM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Hi Tierney,
Welcome to Aikiweb. Coordination of mind and body has many application in daily life from the moment you wakeup unit you fall asleep. The most obvious ones are: posture while standing, sitting, walking, driving, talking with someone personally or over the phone, dealing with your friends, co-worker, wife, kids. I'm quite new to the stuff myself with just 4 years training under my belt but I'd like to think that ki training improved my character even by just a small amount. Enjoy your training.

Larry

gdandscompserv 08-11-2008 02:34 PM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
If anyone figures out a way to use ki against dogs, let me know.

Stefan Stenudd 08-11-2008 06:42 PM

Breathing
 
Extended breathing can be practiced in almost every situation. When you breathe out, remain in the exhalation spirit a while after no more air comes, and when you breathe in, keep the inhaling spirit a while after you have filled your lungs.

The best is if you do it with belly breathing, but that's not completely necessary.

You can use this extended breathing together with things you do. Breathe in when you pull something, breathe out when you push - for example doors. That's fun.

Ryokan 08-11-2008 08:30 PM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Ah, Stefan, thank you, that's the sort of specific thing I was looking for.

Sorry, Ricky, I don't have dog problems. Though I saw mention of folks practicing with their dogs, and I'm curious how you would do that. I seem to remember an article long ago about practicing aikido with wolves, but don't recall its author.

Larry, thanks for your welcome. :) I've always loved aikido, and, even though I've trained very little, always found great benefit from it.

jennifer paige smith 08-11-2008 09:17 PM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Tierney Wisniewski wrote: (Post 213424)
I seem to remember an article long ago about practicing aikido with wolves, but don't recall its author.

That would be O.Fred Donaldson. Look him up here:

http://www.originalplay.com/fred_donaldson.htm
I think you'll find some fun things in his Original Play work.
Best,
Jen

Stefan Stenudd 08-12-2008 03:33 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Tierney Wisniewski wrote: (Post 213424)
Ah, Stefan, thank you, that's the sort of specific thing I was looking for.

If I may be so bold: I wrote a book with a number of such very basic ki (qi) exercises, in case you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419627724/

Beard of Chuck Norris 08-12-2008 11:14 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Ricky Wood wrote: (Post 213389)
If anyone figures out a way to use ki against dogs, let me know.

Dude, you ever watch Cesar Milan AKA The Dog Whisperer?

Despite the fact that he is a dog psychologist and what not, a lot of the stuff he talks about, to me, is aikido (and therefore ki, but let's not start that debate).

Peace and love

Jo

Will Prusner 08-13-2008 12:01 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Ricky Wood wrote: (Post 213389)
If anyone figures out a way to use ki against dogs, let me know.

Use your Ki to move your finger, which will then depress the trigger on your tazer.:)

Stefan Stenudd 08-13-2008 04:23 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Jo Duncan wrote: (Post 213464)
Dude, you ever watch Cesar Milan AKA The Dog Whisperer?
Despite the fact that he is a dog psychologist and what not, a lot of the stuff he talks about, to me, is aikido (and therefore ki, but let's not start that debate).

I agree with you. Love that show! And indeed, so much aikido.
He must have practiced some budo. Anybody knows?

Ryokan 08-13-2008 09:15 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Yes, according to Wikipedia,

Quote:

He played sports with the neighborhood children but missed the outdoor farm life, so to help him cope with the stress of the city, his family enrolled him at the age of six in a judo class. Millan excelled and had won six championships in a row by the age of fourteen. His mentor there, Joaquín, told him stories about Japan and taught him various meditation techniques.
And thanks for the tip on Original Play, Jen.

Any other ki exercises to try in normal, everyday life?

Stefan Stenudd 08-13-2008 10:44 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Thanks, Tierney, for that info. I knew it :D

Quote:

Tierney Wisniewski wrote: (Post 213533)
Any other ki exercises to try in normal, everyday life?

I have a bundle of them. They're all in my book, and several of them on my website.
For example:
When you walk, aim way ahead, and walk only on exhalation. When you have no more air to exhale, continue walking with a spirit of exhalation - but just as long as you keep that conviction and feel strong in it. Stop before inhaling. It is important to stop before you feel weakened, otherwise you foster weakness instead of power.
Particularly the walking you do with the spirit of exhaling, when there's no more air coming, is an excellent ki exercise.

Your gaze can also be a ki exercise.
Stand still and choose a target way ahead. Close your eyes. Begin a powerful exhalation, then open your eyes and gaze at the target, with your exhalation going. It's like you touch the target with your breath. That too, can be continued with the spirit of exhalation after there's no more air coming. Before you feel weakened, close your eyes and inhale.

That's good against dogs, too, by the way. When you pass a hostile dog, gaze at a target far ahead, and use this breathing exercise. Most dogs will ignore you, however hostile they feel. Other animals, too - even the most nervous ones.

barry.clemons 08-29-2008 08:23 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Stefan Stenudd wrote: (Post 213547)
When you walk, aim way ahead, and walk only on exhalation. When you have no more air to exhale, continue walking with a spirit of exhalation - but just as long as you keep that conviction and feel strong in it. Stop before inhaling. It is important to stop before you feel weakened, otherwise you foster weakness instead of power. Particularly the walking you do with the spirit of exhaling, when there's no more air coming, is an excellent ki exercise.

Your gaze can also be a ki exercise.
Stand still and choose a target way ahead. Close your eyes. Begin a powerful exhalation, then open your eyes and gaze at the target, with your exhalation going. It's like you touch the target with your breath. That too, can be continued with the spirit of exhalation after there's no more air coming. Before you feel weakened, close your eyes and inhale.

Stefan,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'The Spirit of Exhalation?'

HL1978 08-29-2008 10:50 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
once you know what it feels like to move in an internal/qi manner, you can start to do every motion that way. How to learn that is a topic of another discussion. I am going to provide a few examples assuming one has done some exercises from the Aunkai, Dan or Mike.

For example, if you push a kart/lawn mower etc figure out how to push the object without using your upper body/shoulders so much. If you start to feel it all in the lower back/legs that might give you some clues if you are doing it right. If you feel it in your shoulders that wil give you a clue that something else is going on.

When wearing a backpack, where do you feel the load? If you can hold it up without your shoulders getting so tired (its somewhat cheating if you tie it to your waist) you might learn something.

What is the alignment of your upper body when you open drawers/doors?

Stefan Stenudd 08-29-2008 12:10 PM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Barry Clemons wrote: (Post 214836)
Stefan,
Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'The Spirit of Exhalation?'

That's when you feel like you continue to exhale, although there's no more air coming.

For example: If you want to hold your breath, this is easy after a deep inhalation, but very difficult after exhaling. But if you keep the feeling of exhaling, i.e. pretend to continue to exhale, it gets easier.

You can do the same with inhaling: First you inhale air, and then when you can't get more air in, you continue with the feeling of inhaling.

That exhaling or inhaling without air is quite close to a pure flow of ki.
From my understanding of it...;)

barry.clemons 08-30-2008 01:15 AM

Re: Playing with Ki?
 
Quote:

Stefan Stenudd wrote: (Post 214863)
That's when you feel like you continue to exhale, although there's no more air coming.

For example: If you want to hold your breath, this is easy after a deep inhalation, but very difficult after exhaling. But if you keep the feeling of exhaling, i.e. pretend to continue to exhale, it gets easier.

You can do the same with inhaling: First you inhale air, and then when you can't get more air in, you continue with the feeling of inhaling.

That exhaling or inhaling without air is quite close to a pure flow of ki.
From my understanding of it...;)

I appreciate the example. Your website offers much in the way of practical example and exercises as well.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.