AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Yoshinkan Aikido? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13905)

Jamie_Macc 02-05-2008 05:26 PM

Yoshinkan Aikido?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anybody had trained in yoshinkan aikido? I have traind in aikikai aikido for 7 years and was wondering if there were any huge differences. from what i could understand yoshinkan is what the riot police use?

many thanks
Jamie

Steven 02-05-2008 07:06 PM

Re: Yoshinkan Aikido?

use the "search" feature and type in the word Yoshinkan.

Joseph Madden 02-05-2008 07:12 PM

Jamie,
Yoshinkan is derived directly from O-Sensei himself as Kancho Shioda(the founder of Yoshinkan) was his student. The main difference
between Yoshinkan and Aikikai is in the aesthetics mainly. You don't usually wear hakama until your dan rated (in the case of my Dojo, until
you have reached 5th dan). Atemi is usually a full on strike rather than a distraction. Some of the terminology is changed. Ikkajo rather than Ikkyo for instance. Most aikikai students find it very easy to slide into Yoshinkan with a little help. We've had/have several aikikai students at our dojo. In Britain, one of the best Yoshinkan sensei is Anthony Yates. You can chech him out at You Tube or on his web site. With regards to the riot police, all are trained in the instructor course at the Hombu dojo before returning to their respective districts or prefectures to train their fellow officers. :cool:

SentWest 02-06-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Jamie Kenyon wrote: (Post 198660)
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anybody had trained in yoshinkan aikido?

I've been training in yoshinkan for just over a month now, and as this is my first experience with aikido I'm not sure how much help I'll be to you (since I have nothing to compare my training to), but I'll give you a few impressions.

Please keep in mind that my experience is most certainly colored by the instructor's style as well:

We focus much less it seems on the spiritual aspect of Osensei's orginal aikido, and more on tactics. We do quite a bit of work on Boyd's Cycle and stress training. There's also training in command presence.

The training itself is probably somewhat rougher and has more emphasis on developing physically overall as well as within the martial art. For example, we do about an hour of PT before we start training.

After watching videos of several aikido styles, we seem to have a "sharper" movements rather than the flowing methods of other styles. Attacks are most definitely committed and one can certainly get hurt if they're not on their toes.

Just to reiterate, the instructor and the advanced students are mostly cops/retired cops, so some of this may be local color. I hope I was somewhat helpful, but I encourage you to look for answers from those with more experience than I.

KamiKaze_Evolution 02-07-2008 07:13 AM

Briefly i wanna say, Yoshinkan Aikido is tough enough