AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics alone? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13898)

AikiWeb System 02-03-2008 01:30 AM

Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics alone?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 3, 2008:

Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics alone?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.

Don 02-03-2008 07:43 PM

Re: Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics

Name one that can't be explained by physical mechanisms.

SeiserL 02-04-2008 06:44 AM

Re: Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics

While I wouldn't say "totally explained", physics is the study of mechanics and energy, so it would be a good operational start.

mriehle 02-04-2008 12:59 PM

While I don't believe there is any magic, I do believe there are things that happen which are not explained by physics.

The best example is a "double nikkyo" thing that I learned early on. If the attacker lets go, the technique will not work. But I know of several instances of people actually using the technique and the attacker doesn't let go. Ever.

So I believe there's a bit of psychology, sort of, in the techniques.

Don_Modesto 02-04-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Michael Riehle wrote: (Post 198593)
So I believe there's a bit of psychology, sort of, in the techniques.

ATEMI which doesn't strike it's target won't knock over a salt shaker.

There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss. Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing.

Nafis Zahir 02-04-2008 03:55 PM

My answer was no. Some things cannot be explained in words or phrases, but only through constant experience. If the techniques could be explained in words, most people would pick it up much sooner than they do.

mriehle 02-04-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Don J. Modesto wrote: (Post 198600)
ATEMI which doesn't strike it's target won't knock over a salt shaker.

There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss.

Yes. Exactly.

Quote:

Don J. Modesto wrote: (Post 198600)
Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing.

Well, thank goodness for that. My world view wouldn't be able to handle it.:D

happysod 02-05-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss. Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing
Not quite true, you could still use physics to describe the movements of the uke under these conditions, just not to accurately describe the cause of the movement unless you go very outre and make analogies between viscosity and intention etc. etc.

Basically, if there's a measurable effect and you don't mind too much what you use as your units of measurement, yes you probably could develop an equation to cover breath, certainly timing et al.

Yours pedantically...

Demetrio Cereijo 02-05-2008 07:08 AM

Well, there is a psychological component in aikido techniques, however, psychology can be seen as electric impulses and chemistry.

This leads to physics.

mriehle 02-05-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 198631)
psychology can be seen as electric impulses and chemistry.

How would you like to be a hair right now? Huh? Why are you picking on these poor, defenseless hairs. Splitting them all over the place. It's not nice and it makes a mess.:rolleyes:

And, in any case, now you're getting into some serious navel-gazing philosophy. Bordering on religion, even. Best to just walk away.:crazy: :eek:

Demetrio Cereijo 02-05-2008 03:55 PM

I never assume something is defenseless, even hairs. That would be disrespectful.
:)

happysod 02-06-2008 03:40 AM

So, are we talking straight hairs or bendy ones? The angles involved in the splitting would vary considerably. Then we'd have to consider whether we had the moral right to impose the splitting in the first place or whether the hair truely wanted to split - and what of the folical it's left behind?

mriehle 02-07-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 198654)
I never assume something is defenseless, even hairs. That would be disrespectful.
:)

Especially the ones practicing Tie One Ponytail.

It's all in fun until someone loses an eye.

Amir Krause 02-08-2008 07:42 AM

While I believe the core of any explenaiton would be phisics. It would have to include quite a bit of phisiology. And a small amount of psychology (people not letting go, or trying to resist in specific ways)

Amir