AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido dojo some day? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13134)

AikiWeb System 08-26-2007 09:59 AM

Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido dojo some day?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 26, 2007:

How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido dojo some day?
  • I don't do aikido
  • I'm already the chief instructor
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.

Lyle Bogin 08-26-2007 10:08 AM

Re: Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido doj

I voted negative (not important) on this one but if I really think about my long term plans I do intend to have my own dojo, or at least dedicate myself to running a dojo full time, as my retirement plan.

It was hard making career choices that would steer me in this direction, but a few years ago I decided on physical education and it seems to be keeping me on course.

I will retire with full benefits and my pension at 60. The perfect age to run a martial arts school :) .

Mark Uttech 08-26-2007 08:07 PM

Re: Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido doj

Running a dojo as part of a retirement plan is more common than not. There's really no better way I can think of to pay back all of those guides who have gotten any of us as far as we have gone.

In gassho,

Mark

SeiserL 08-27-2007 05:46 AM

None, dada, zip, dull and void.

I am too selfish and want to just keep training.

Marie Noelle Fequiere 08-27-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote: (Post 187663)
None, dada, zip, dull and void.

I am too selfish and want to just keep training.

Ah, thank you, Lynn, thank you! I thought I was the only martial artist on the planet to think like this:p .
Let me also tell you that I really love your posts. Some teach in the dojo, others on the net. Both are priceless.

Ecosamurai 08-27-2007 11:48 AM

I kindof cheated when I answered. I'm already the chief instructor I suppose (depends on how you want to define the term really) but I answered that it wasn't very important because quite simply I'm not really bothered, and only ended up doing that because I moved somewhere else away from my teacher.

Though I would say to Lynn and others who share his view that I've found that teaching is far and away the best way to learn, and practicing with beginners is the most rewarding practice I have generally speaking.

Best

Mike

Lyle Bogin 08-27-2007 12:46 PM

A lot of taoist martial artists share that "selfish" view. Can't blame ya...

Jess McDonald 09-01-2007 09:55 PM

YO! I also really have no interest in running a dojo. Things can change I'm sure. You want to know what I really can't wait to teach...chemistry. I love chemistry. Freshman not so much but we all had to start somewhere. LOL :p ;)

SeiserL 09-02-2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Mike Haft wrote: (Post 187719)
Though I would say to Lynn and others who share his view that I've found that teaching is far and away the best way to learn, and practicing with beginners is the most rewarding practice I have generally speaking.

Total agreement. I love training and explaining with all ranks. It makes it clearer to me too.

But, the question was (1) chief instructor, and (2) own dojo. For those I have no interest.

Sharing the journey? Show me the mat. Let's bow in.