AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Greece and Aikido. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12554)

Yann Golanski 05-11-2007 01:31 AM

Greece and Aikido.
 
I'll be traveling around Greece (peloponnese, Korinth, Dephi and Athens mainly) around September. I'd like to visit some dojo to train.

Anyone can recommend somewhere?

Anyone Greek Aikidoka around here?

...

xuzen 05-11-2007 02:20 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Quote:

Yann Golanski wrote: (Post 178041)
I'll be traveling around Greece (peloponnese, Korinth, Dephi and Athens mainly) around September. I'd like to visit some dojo to train.

Anyone can recommend somewhere?

Anyone Greek Aikidoka around here?

...

Don't forget to wear leather sandals and thongs and yell "This is Sparta!" when you are there. :D

Boon.

Edward 05-11-2007 03:01 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
I heard they wear a special hakama above knee level :D

stelios 05-11-2007 03:20 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
How funny you are..NOT.
And supposedly Aikido taught you respect...
Shame on you and your teachers.

Any way enough with small soul people.

Yann you might want to try

http://www.hellenicaikido.gr/english.htm Run by Koliopoulos Sensei 5 Dan Aikikai.

http://www.aikidoathens.gr/inside_english.htm Run by Janet Cliff Sensei 4 Dan Aikikai and Eamon Devlin Sensei 3 Dan Aikikai

And if you choose to get down to Crete
http://www.aikido-dojo-nippos.com Run by Ferdinando d'Agata Sensei 4 Dan Aikikai

Hope this helps

Edward 05-11-2007 10:26 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Didn't aikido teach you sense of humour?

stelios 05-12-2007 02:05 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Some things I can put up with. When it comes to my civilisation and heritage I draw the line.

Ljupco Osavkov 05-12-2007 09:45 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
I agree. When it comes to the heritage we should draw the line.:)

antonis paps 05-13-2007 03:13 PM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Are you coming for holidays?
6-7 of october we have the HAA National Instructors Seminar
its in larisa (central greece) its easy for you to get there
and a lot near to many interesting staff you would like to see in greece

However what i recommend is Fukushinkan Dojo, Athens Run by Koliopoulos Sensei 5 Dan Aikikai.
You would be impressed he is the very best;)

http://www.hellenicaikido.gr/english.htm

Yann Golanski 05-14-2007 01:33 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Antonis,

Thanks. This is helpful. I will be there around mid September. Don't worry, I may shout "This is Sparta" when I am there but I also have my holiday reading: Herodotus, the father of History (or Lies depending on who you talk to.)

antonis paps 05-14-2007 08:25 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Quote:

Yann Golanski wrote: (Post 178252)
Antonis,

Thanks. This is helpful. I will be there around mid September. Don't worry, I may shout "This is Sparta" when I am there but I also have my holiday reading: Herodotus, the father of History (or Lies depending on who you talk to.)

hehehe
.. Maybe then you will like to visit thermopylae and have
a bath in the natural thermal baths that are in the area..

Instead of "this is sparta" i would prefer if you shouted:

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinôn rhêmasi peithomenoi

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by
that here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Also you will find Herodotus very interesting to read
although many information maybe hard for many to believe
it is though out reading and your perception (of sense and understanding) that you should create your own opinion.
Others may say a lot.. some maybe true and some..not.

have a nice trip and if you what any more info dont hesitate to ask:D :D

PeterR 05-15-2007 01:35 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
I just finished a month rampaging around Greece - alas only a few nights of Aikido. There's a dojo in Thessalonika that I tend to go to when I am in the city - there is only one.

Thermopylae was disappointing - really hard to see anything happening there considering the sea coast had shifted and it looked pretty passable with the highway and all.

Much more impressive was the grave of Philip, father of Alexander the Great and the bronze age ruins of Mycenes which was what I had my sites set on this time round.

Crete (and of course the Minoan ruins) is great and just my luck I found the dojo in Chania just as I was leaving.

Yann Golanski 05-15-2007 01:58 AM

Re: Greece and Aikido.
 
Quote:

Antonis Paps wrote: (Post 178263)
Instead of "this is sparta" i would prefer if you shouted:

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinôn rhêmasi peithomenoi

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by
that here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Indeed. It just happens to be one of my favourite bit of history ever.

Still, my favourite quote is the exchange between the Persian herald and a Spartan:

Persian: "Our archers are so mumerous that their arrows will blot out the sun!"
Spartan: "Then, we will fight in the shade."

I like lakonic saying... Oh wait, where does that word come from?... Sparta.

Quote:

Antonis Paps wrote: (Post 178263)
Also you will find Herodotus very interesting to read
although many information maybe hard for many to believe
it is though out reading and your perception (of sense and understanding) that you should create your own opinion.
Others may say a lot.. some maybe true and some..not.

have a nice trip and if you what any more info dont hesitate to ask:D :D

Thanks!

Of course, it is hard for modern readers to understand Herodotus and most ancient as things have change so much. Caesar never bothered to describe which strata of society his centurions came from because that would be common knowledge at the time. Shame that we don't know 2000 years later!

More people should read classics...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.