AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning in your aikido training? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12485)

AikiWeb System 04-30-2007 12:26 AM

Poll: What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning in your aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 29, 2007:

What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely vigorous
  • Very vigorous
  • Somewhat vigorous
  • Not at all vigorous
Here are the current results.

SeiserL 04-30-2007 06:00 AM

Re: Poll: What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning

The appropriate level for the skill/waza being practiced.
Less vigorous for the subtle skills.
Very to extreme for randori.
IMHO, effectiveness learning comes from mindfulness.

tarik 04-30-2007 12:05 PM

Re: Poll: What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning

In my recent experience, the most effective learning I have engaged in has been to move as slowly as possible so as to be able to fully discover, conceptualize, and understand where all the decision points are in a training interaction.

It requires knowledge of what happens in 'vigorous' training, but the vigor itself seems to interfere with the ability to recognize those points.

Naturally, this is at my current level of training. I believe slow and steady is where it's at, PARTICULARLY in randori.

Mark Uttech 04-30-2007 05:27 PM

I voted 'somewhat vigorous' because I was thinking that continuity is most important. As practioners age, they learn to do more with less.

In gassho,

Mark

senshincenter 04-30-2007 09:34 PM

For technical learning - slow purposeful training is best in my opinion. For learning about who we are and where we are in the art, as vigorous as possible (possible here being delineated by the relevant safety issues) would be my position.

mathewjgano 05-03-2007 02:38 PM

I picked extreamly vigorously, but was including "mental vigor" to the idea (ie-awareness should be as active as possible). Not everything should be done at break-neck speed...so to speak. I'm actually a great fan of "slow-mo" practice, but I think it should be done in conjunction with highly kinetic practice as well. Moving slowly gives the mind time to sift through the data more easily and I think teaches one good form (ie-using more naturally strong movements; connecting from ground to hara to uke; etc.); while moving fast teaches one how to make those postures' strengths more temporally dynamic.

jennifer paige smith 05-07-2007 09:51 AM

The level that is appropriate for me that day.

Tony Wagstaffe 05-07-2007 01:47 PM

As often as possible!! depending on your skill level....
Tony

gdandscompserv 05-07-2007 01:53 PM

All levels.