AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Video of O'Sensei when he was younger. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12385)

Ken Zink 04-17-2007 03:23 AM

Video of O'Sensei when he was younger.

Found this Aikido video channel that someone has set up and this video in particular was cool to watch. It's a video of O'sensei when he was younger but it is is surprisingly good quality.

http://aikido.magnify.net/item/S5SHCS8VN29SMYJP

enjoy.

aikidoc 04-17-2007 09:24 AM

Re: Video of O'Sensei when he was younger.

said invalid content when I clicked on link?

maxwelljones 04-17-2007 10:26 AM

I got a Javascript warning on that site that they haven't tested with Konqueror, but it seems to work.

Ron Tisdale 04-17-2007 11:52 AM

No good here either...is it the Asahi dojo clip?

B,
R

Ken Zink 04-17-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

John Riggs wrote: (Post 175780)
said invalid content when I clicked on link?

Well crap, my friend had the same thing happen. I'm using Firefox and its working fine. Hmm, don't see any way to download it off of this site :x

Michael McCaslin 04-17-2007 03:57 PM

No problems here with Firefox on Linux. And yes, Ron, it is the Asahi dojo film.

Michael

jennifer paige smith 05-05-2007 02:45 PM

No problem. I'm using a Macbook and I was able to enjoy the footage. Thanks.

My personal review-

"DANG!"-Confluence Daily Times

Edward 05-05-2007 04:11 PM

IMHO, this is the aikido we should take as a training model, not that of a 70+ years old.

Karen Wolek 05-05-2007 04:48 PM

Man! That was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tarik 05-05-2007 05:33 PM

Not bad, but I've definitely seen better. :cool:

jennifer paige smith 05-05-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Tarik Ghbeish wrote: (Post 177529)
Not bad, but I've definitely seen better. :cool:

Would you like to share?:cool:

tarik 05-06-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

Jennifer Smith wrote: (Post 177541)
Would you like to share?:cool:

Flippant answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wNjCScMUw

Serious answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUne9Xg55og

kironin 05-06-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Tarik Ghbeish wrote: (Post 177555)

nice answer.

but why did so many judoka go play with Ueshiba Sensei then?

or so many Judoka in Hawaii and California go play with Tohei Sensei ?

jennifer paige smith 05-06-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Craig Hocker wrote: (Post 177588)
nice answer.

Here is a great story. The link takes you to the appropriate place and then you need to select excerpt. It is an excerpt from the book Remembering O'Sensei.
Enjoy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1570...36#reader-link

mjhacker 05-06-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

They heard he was good at breaking Judoka hips and wanted to experience it first-hand?

tarik 05-06-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

nice answer.

Why do so many aikidoka of the modern day go play with judoka, BJJ, and MMA players?

Ketsan 05-07-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Tarik Ghbeish wrote: (Post 177606)
Why do so many aikidoka of the modern day go play with judoka, BJJ, and MMA players?

I think there are three reasons:
1. Judo, BJJ and MMA are all sports. Sports have rules. Aikido violates directly or indirectly most of the rules that most of these sports have and so Aikidoka "loose" against them.
For example, there is no way to beat a Judoka unless you're a better Judoka or you violate Judo rules, so in a Judo dojo you will always loose.
Most people seem get stuck on the fact that they lost and don't give much thought as to why they lost. They don't blame the other guy because he won, they don't blame themselves because that's too hard, they don't blame Judo or whatever because again they're the one that lost, so they come to the conclusion that Aikido is inferior. The common sence thing to do then is study the superior art.

2. Other arts provide a testing ground for what you've learned. You can go up against a fully resisting opponent without having to start a real fight.

3. A lot of Aikido people tend to be the kind of people that habitually do more than one art simply because they enjoy learning other arts.

ChrisMoses 05-07-2007 11:33 AM

Wow, that guy does a pretty good job of maintaining 'the cross'. I wonder if he studied with Ark? ;)

tarik 05-08-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 177665)
I think there are three reasons:

I think you missed the whole point of the question. ;)

ken ashcom 05-29-2007 03:42 PM

Great video!

Tim Fong 05-30-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Christian Moses wrote: (Post 177678)
Wow, that guy does a pretty good job of maintaining 'the cross'. I wonder if he studied with Ark? ;)

Chris,
The really interesting thing about the video is the progression from kneeling, to half kneeling to standing.

I used to think that kneeling was all about "samurai self defense" or just ritualized silliness.

Now that I understand a little bit about ''connection" I can see that the kneeling position makes it easier to use connection, because you don't have to pay attention to the knees and ankles. Just the hips on up. Of course half kneeling is a little tougher, and then standing on your feet is tougher still.

If I think about suwariwaza as a training tool to get you using connection (the cross and so on) ASAP then I think it's fantastic. I'm doing a lot of it these days actually. I'm glad I learned the "shape" before, and now it's a matter of putting the right feeling into it.

Jeremy Hulley 05-30-2007 11:56 PM

Seiza is great for working on lengthening the spine and starting to use the pelvic crease to generate power...I think.....

Good stuff....Shirata Rinjiro apparently had some seated internal stuff...
Maybe Alan Beebe could comment....

jennyvanwest 05-31-2007 12:08 AM

Great stuff...thank you for posting! As I was watching, I was thinking about some of the really spectacular and accomplished practitioners out there, and that O Sensei would likely be so gratified to see where some people have taken this art. I don't imagine that he ever thought he was going to be "the very best who ever lived."

Some of the ukemi in this clip is really awesome. There was one breakfall in there from kotegashi I had to watch a couple of times.

Quote:

Edward Karaa wrote: (Post 177521)
IMHO, this is the aikido we should take as a training model, not that of a 70+ years old.

I think we should take both!

cheers

Jenny

Upyu 05-31-2007 02:02 AM

Quote:

Tarik Ghbeish wrote: (Post 177555)

I'll add another to that then. Dunno if it should be classified as "better" though ^^;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvWiYcxTm2A

I'm sure there's a fair number of Angier nutriders out there. But its for good reason if you got an eye for good posture etc. Especially considering the guy was in his thirties in this vid...

I talked to a japanese teacher a couple of months ago who saw this clip and said it was kind of disconcerting Angier moved better back then and even more correctly than 90% of the current so called traditional teachers of Jujutsu/Aiki/Kenjutsu what have you out here in modern day Japan.

Ueshiba was just a guy who trained hard and had more than half a brain on his shoulders :D
Nuff said.

George S. Ledyard 05-31-2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Robert John wrote: (Post 179739)
I'll add another to that then. Dunno if it should be classified as "better" though ^^;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvWiYcxTm2A

I'm sure there's a fair number of Angier nutriders out there. But its for good reason if you got an eye for good posture etc. Especially considering the guy was in his thirties in this vid...

I talked to a japanese teacher a couple of months ago who saw this clip and said it was kind of disconcerting Angier moved better back then and even more correctly than 90% of the current so called traditional teachers of Jujutsu/Aiki/Kenjutsu what have you out here in modern day Japan.

Ueshiba was just a guy who trained hard and had more than half a brain on his shoulders :D
Nuff said.

I've trained with a lot of great folks over the years but none was better than Angier Sensei. I have grabbed him with all my power only to have him drop me on my butt and I never felt anything. He has the most effortless technique I have ever encountered. Truly amazing skills.