AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Returning to training after injury (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11433)

Thomas Campbell 12-10-2006 11:36 PM

Returning to training after injury
 
Took a bad fall during practice this past week. Two cracked ribs, a minimum of six to eight weeks' healing time. For anyone else who's worked their way back from cracked ribs, how did you go about reintroducing yourself to the floor/mat when the doctor gave the go-ahead to resume training? My instincts just say limber up and take it easy at first. Any other suggestions based on experience?

Thanks very much.

SeiserL 12-11-2006 06:47 AM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
Quote:

Thomas Campbell wrote:
how did you go about reintroducing yourself to the floor/mat when the doctor gave the go-ahead to resume training?

"Hello floor/mat, last time we met was not so great. I will try to stay more relaxed, stay out of my head, and exhale as I fall. And if you would be so kind as to be more forgiving I would deeply appreciate it. Let's shake hands and come out training."

ChrisMoses 12-11-2006 09:28 AM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
Quote:

Thomas Campbell wrote:
Took a bad fall during practice this past week. Two cracked ribs, a minimum of six to eight weeks' healing time. For anyone else who's worked their way back from cracked ribs, how did you go about reintroducing yourself to the floor/mat when the doctor gave the go-ahead to resume training? My instincts just say limber up and take it easy at first. Any other suggestions based on experience?

Thanks very much.

You'll know when you're ready. I've never cracked ribs but I've flexed the cartilege on the floaters a few times (generally snowboarding), and that hurt like h#ll. Keep in mind too that many doctors will tell you that you're 'healed' but that they don't get the strain that many of us put our bodies through.

Thomas Campbell 12-11-2006 11:40 AM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote:
"Hello floor/mat, last time we met was not so great. I will try to stay more relaxed, stay out of my head, and exhale as I fall. And if you would be so kind as to be more forgiving I would deeply appreciate it. Let's shake hands and come out training."

:D

I guess I set myself up for that one. Good advice, though. Thanks.

And Chris, you're right, the physicians can only advise so far, then it's up to me to listen to my own body. Thanks for the reminder.

Janet Rosen 12-11-2006 12:29 PM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
Your intercostal muscles and other muscles that attach to ribs might have pulls/tears you are not aware of because the symptoms assocoated w the rib fractures are so much more dominating.
So it would be worthwhile, during a rehab process, to check in w/ torso and abdominal muscles and see if any need some strengthening and/or stretching as part of the getting back on the mat process.

Thomas Campbell 12-12-2006 11:35 AM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
Clarification: just got better films with two radiologists reading them to diagnose a compression fracture of the T-6 vertebrae . . . ribs are bruised, not cracked. The healing time is longer, about three months. The physical therapist says with complete healing, I'll be able to resume "normal" activity. But I think what was "normal" for me in falling/rolling before will have to be different after recovery.

Janet Rosen 12-12-2006 01:12 PM

Re: Returning to training after injury
 
You should be able to return to "normal" IF you take it slowly and allow for a period of rehab between healing and full on training. Because of how we move in aikido vs how "normal" folks move, heheheheh, your doc probably won't think you merit formal P.T. but you *might* consider, as rehab, after cleared by doc for return to normal life, checking in w/ a good soft tissue bodyworker and a good athletic trainer to see what support structures need remobilizing/strengthening/stretching in addition to taking a gradual approach to returning to training.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.