AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   zanshin (awareness ) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10923)

mut 09-07-2006 04:59 AM

zanshin (awareness )
 
monday night i was teaching class as usual, i was teaching the brown belt syllabus to the blue belts explaining how important at this stage it was to be very aware, after giving the speech on zanshin and demonstrating, one of my blue belts (kayley) said eeh that's a hakama your wearing, how long have you been a black belt. should i give up and go home..............it was hilarious everyone in class almost wet themselves. zanshin .wow :D :D :) :ai:

Kampfussel 09-07-2006 07:54 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Don't be too downhearted. It takes a while for zanshin to overcome the natural blonde effect. Maybe we should introduce spot the difference work into the syllabus. lol :rolleyes: :D :p

Yann Golanski 09-07-2006 08:59 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
zanshin is just be ready for the next uke to come and attack you....

Rigel Keffer 09-07-2006 09:08 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
It's more than that.

Lee Mulgrew 09-08-2006 05:37 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Rigel Keffer wrote:
It's more than that.

yeah, it's noticing that your instructor is wearing a skirt and not pyjamas!
don't worry mut, it was probably your natural air of being a DAN grade that she never noticed that you weren't before! :straightf :D

That.... or the gingerness of your beard took away from the leg part of you! :freaky:

mut 09-08-2006 12:10 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
yea thats it........its the beard that got her....cool i new it was good for something :cool: :ai:

Michael Meister 09-10-2006 01:23 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Whatever you call a beard over here...

Lee Mulgrew 09-10-2006 05:35 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Michael Meister wrote:
Whatever you call a beard over here...

they cant all be as full and healthy as yours! :p (or as ginger! :D :D ).... sorry, I am jealous as at the age of 31 I still cannot grow a proper beard :( :o

chiptank 09-10-2006 05:51 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
same old kayleigh after years of doing aikido she still thinks its a kind of dancing.......lol.......someday the penny will drop.
also beards rock mulgrew.....even mutts chinfro :D ...still not as good as the chiptank facial hair though ;)
:ai: :ki: :do: rulez foreverrrrrrr

mut 09-11-2006 05:35 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
i think after knowing lee mulgrew for sometime my zanshin leads me to believe he waxes off all of his body hair for his own aikido purposes , so dont worry lee its not that you cant grow one its just scared of being waxed off. :blush: :D :) :do:

Setka 09-11-2006 05:52 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Lee Southward wrote:
i think after knowing lee mulgrew for sometime my zanshin leads me to believe he waxes off all of his body hair for his own aikido purposes , so dont worry lee its not that you cant grow one its just scared of being waxed off. :blush: :D :) :do:

That's just nasty. I'm gonna have nightmares. . . :hypno:

ian 09-11-2006 06:39 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Very funny!

I think zanshin is a subconcious awareness rather than saying to yourself 'I must be aware' all the time. For example I 'phase out' during instruction sometimes because I'm looking at the body movement (esp. the centre or feet movement) and I have to ask beginning students what the attack type and technique was! Also, someone tried to hit me with a bottle recently and they attacked from the side - luckily I raised up my arm just subconciously and protected myself (though the angle still meant it clipped the back of my head, though I'd taken all the power out of it, so despite breaking it didn't hurt a bit)

I love the story of the samurai who's assistant was going to test him by drawing a sword and attacking, but after this thought, thought better of it - the samurai then retired to his house, saying that he didn't feel at ease and the assistant (squire?) was amazed.

Lee Mulgrew 09-13-2006 01:05 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Lee Southward wrote:
i think after knowing lee mulgrew for sometime my zanshin leads me to believe he waxes off all of his body hair for his own aikido purposes , so dont worry lee its not that you cant grow one its just scared of being waxed off. :blush: :D :) :do:

how did you find out my secret training methods? it goes something like this.... wax on, wax off, OUCH!! it hurts it hurts! :uch: :D :D

Michael Meister 09-14-2006 01:11 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Lee Mulgrew wrote:
how did you find out my secret training methods? it goes something like this.... wax on, wax off, OUCH!! it hurts it hurts! :uch: :D :D

guess were his beard comes from..

Lee Mulgrew 09-15-2006 04:27 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
well.... i was trying not to think about that but it is rather curly!
And Craig, how long does it take you to trim all those lines and gaps into that grizzly adams of yours? and what the hell do you use to do it?! a highly sharpened bokken! :D

Lee Mulgrew 09-15-2006 04:30 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Craig Buck wrote:
same old kayleigh after years of doing aikido she still thinks its a kind of dancing.......lol.......someday the penny will drop.
also beards rock mulgrew.....even mutts chinfro :D ...still not as good as the chiptank facial hair though ;)
:ai: :ki: :do: rulez foreverrrrrrr

it is a kind of dancing.... SLAM dancing! :grr: evileyes

Kampfussel 09-15-2006 01:00 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Zanshin is avoiding one of Craig's nipple twists. You always gotta keep your eye on the tank.

(PS Craig, I've already got a booster seat. Had to get it custom made! lol. It would even take your weight)

mut 09-16-2006 06:38 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Lee Mulgrew wrote:
it is a kind of dancing.... SLAM dancing! :grr: evileyes

slam dancing with a twist( wrist twist) get it. :rolleyes:

chiptank 09-17-2006 05:20 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Lee Mulgrew wrote:
well.... i was trying not to think about that but it is rather curly!
And Craig, how long does it take you to trim all those lines and gaps into that grizzly adams of yours? and what the hell do you use to do it?! a highly sharpened bokken! :D


I dunno if you're going to believe me mulgrew but when i go to mutts home dojo we practice knife techniques with his rambo knife and his techniques are so precise that he trims my beard perfectly.....every saturday!!! :eek:

mut 09-29-2006 11:04 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Craig Buck wrote:
I dunno if you're going to believe me mulgrew but when i go to mutts home dojo we practice knife techniques with his rambo knife and his techniques are so precise that he trims my beard perfectly.....every saturday!!! :eek:

on sundays i even practice my zanshin with rambo himself triming the beards on sheep.........please note no sheep were hurt or injured in the making of this post. :D :eek: evileyes :circle:

James Davis 09-29-2006 11:37 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Carien Juyn wrote:
That's just nasty. I'm gonna have nightmares. . . :hypno:

Boogety boo. :eek:

mut 10-06-2006 02:55 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
:ki: :kihi i would just like to thank everyone for posting on this thread, its funny how the aikidoka mind works, from zanshin to rambo wow. i love aikido thanks again ...............hail satan :) :) evileyes :ai:

Setka 10-09-2006 08:28 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Boogety boo. :eek:

:eek: :confused:
Zanshin is about being aware of the position of the walls so you can throw poeple through them. :cool:

James Davis 10-09-2006 04:44 PM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Carien Juyn wrote:
:eek: :confused:
Zanshin is about being aware of the position of the walls so you can throw poeple through them. :cool:

Or, depending on the materials used to construct them, so you can bounce people off them repeatedly.

Aren't we such nice people? :p

Selnith 02-12-2007 05:22 AM

Re: zanshin (awareness )
 
Quote:

Chris Green wrote:
Don't be too downhearted. It takes a while for zanshin to overcome the natural blonde effect. Maybe we should introduce spot the difference work into the syllabus. lol :rolleyes: :D :p

play nice DLF


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.