AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10722)

Jeanne Shepard 07-24-2006 10:43 PM

Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

Because I'm 50 now and if I stopped, I'd never get moving again!

Jeanne :p

Aiki Teacher 07-24-2006 10:59 PM

Re: Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

I teach school. Stress management!

sullivanw 07-24-2006 11:32 PM

There's always something to learn; the challenge to constantly develop oneself.

Karen Wolek 07-25-2006 12:30 AM

Because it's fun to fly.

dps 07-25-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Karen Wolek wrote:
Because it's fun to fly.

To enjoy the flying I need to keep practicing my landings. :)

statisticool 07-25-2006 05:50 PM

To take the UFC by storm.

Lyle Bogin 08-01-2006 06:53 PM

Because it can get a lot worse and not much better.

CNYMike 08-02-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Jeanne Shepard wrote:
Because I'm 50 now and if I stopped, I'd never get moving again!

Jeanne :p

Because at 41, this is the time of my life to get into it and hope to develop an appreciable amount of knowledge and skill. If I dropped it for another 15-20 years, it might be possible to pick it up in my 60s.

Because 25 years from now, I want to look back at 25 years of doing Aikido. (My Kali instructor woould want to congratulate me, too, although he will probably keep his hands behind his back.)

Because I feel good after practice.

Because it doesn't wipe me out as much as it did two years ago.

.... but most of all ....

Because I'm an Aikido addict! :hypno: :D

donplummer 08-02-2006 07:03 AM

because once something has saved your life, physically as well as mentally you can never really say goodbye to it...and why would you want to?

Mark Uttech 08-02-2006 08:27 AM

Because there really is nothing else I would rather do. Since this is the tenth reply, is this thread done now?

Steve Mullen 08-02-2006 08:48 AM

Ah dam, i got here too late, and here's me with this really deep and profound reason for staying with aikido............ but the post does say top ten, never mind.

Lee Mulgrew 09-28-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:
Ah dam, i got here too late, and here's me with this really deep and profound reason for staying with aikido............ but the post does say top ten, never mind.

no, no! you must tell us. they have not been ranked in order of which are the best answers to give! after all answers have been given then we can decide why we all stay doing this.

.........My god I am soooo anal! (just kidding, couldn't give a s**t really!) :p :p :D

because it's a better way to explain the bruises than saying the wife beat me up again! (she is my favourite training partner :uch: )

Larry Cuvin 09-28-2006 05:42 PM

Because suffering from withdrawal syndrome is too much for me to bear.

tony cameron 09-28-2006 05:49 PM

Life - Aikido = Death.

Al Williams 09-28-2006 06:09 PM

Its the best way to punish the body and feed the mind.

Nick P. 09-28-2006 07:32 PM

Because I just got my hakama, and I can neither tie it well, do aikido well while wearing it, nor fold it well.
Who said there is nothing more to learn?

Neal Earhart 09-28-2006 09:20 PM

Because I like it !! :) :)

Or as I always say...it's the most fun you can have for $150 per month (the monthly dues at the NY Aikikai) ;)

Mike James 09-29-2006 08:34 AM

Because it is by far the most fun, frustrating, and cool thing I've ever done and plan to do it until I can't anymore (dead)! So much to learn/try/do ... infinite variations!!

James Davis 09-29-2006 09:57 AM

I have to stick with it now, or else my students can't learn it (at least not locally).

I also look damn good in a hakama. :D

Rigel Keffer 09-29-2006 11:42 AM

I drive approx. 1 1/2 hours to dojo, work out for 2 hours, drive 1 1/2 hours home for each class. So, there's got to be something to this!

In random order/level of importance not revealed by numbering:

1. Because since the divorce, it's the most human, physical contact I get during the week. Never underestimate how essential touching needs are. I have desperate need for raw physicality in my life right now. I don't have sex. I don't have snuggling and cuddling. I have aikido.

2. Because those moments of pure ki are addictive. They are rare and spectacular. Every now and then, I actually kind of get something right and feel a rhythm and flow and energy and it is breathtaking, exhilirating, and addicting. Empowering.

3. The people. Aikido seems to attract and RETAIN an exceptionally darling, precious, QUIRKY, fun, sound, safe, honorable, integrity-laden, genuine, sincere, kind, passionate, lighthearted yet grounded community of people. People with strong arms and smile crinkled eyes ... people who teach from the heart and embrace you even as they are throwing you ... people who bring gentleness to a potentially harsh discipline ... People I can trust and love and laugh with. Dedicated aikidoka --- the real students, the ones who are truly into it --- are an indescribably precious treasure for whom I thank God.

4. It makes me feel strong. It helps me hold my head up and my shoulders back. I can handle seemingly unrelated things so much better as a result of martial arts training, dumb stuff that used to absolutely stress me out like the bank making an error on my account, finding a new insurance company, the car making a disturbing sound. I can't explain it, but the more I'm training, the better I can handle life's wrinkles. I just feel stronger all around, muscles and mind. And braver. Because I try things on the mats I normally would never have pushed myself to attempt. And, I frequently shock myself by pulling off some of the daring stuff. Even something as simple as the fact that I can and do get up over and over again after getting thrown, pinned,and all around battered over and over again shows me that I'm tougher than I thought I was. Aikido helps me be stronger, braver, and tougher. Aikido is helping to grow me into being a tough chic, a woman with presence.

Lan Powers 09-29-2006 02:29 PM

Well, sheesh...that kindof makes me liking to "chunk" folks sound just a wee bit shallow! :)
And Rigel, I wish I had found something as healing and solid as this after my divorce....
Lan

Robert Jackson 09-29-2006 02:38 PM

I to like the frequent flier miles.. and hey it beats jogging!

James Davis 09-29-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Rigel Keffer wrote:
I drive approx. 1 1/2 hours to dojo, work out for 2 hours, drive 1 1/2 hours home for each class. So, there's got to be something to this!

In random order/level of importance not revealed by numbering:

1. Because since the divorce, it's the most human, physical contact I get during the week. Never underestimate how essential touching needs are. I have desperate need for raw physicality in my life right now. I don't have sex. I don't have snuggling and cuddling. I have aikido.

2. Because those moments of pure ki are addictive. They are rare and spectacular. Every now and then, I actually kind of get something right and feel a rhythm and flow and energy and it is breathtaking, exhilirating, and addicting. Empowering.

3. The people. Aikido seems to attract and RETAIN an exceptionally darling, precious, QUIRKY, fun, sound, safe, honorable, integrity-laden, genuine, sincere, kind, passionate, lighthearted yet grounded community of people. People with strong arms and smile crinkled eyes ... people who teach from the heart and embrace you even as they are throwing you ... people who bring gentleness to a potentially harsh discipline ... People I can trust and love and laugh with. Dedicated aikidoka --- the real students, the ones who are truly into it --- are an indescribably precious treasure for whom I thank God.

4. It makes me feel strong. It helps me hold my head up and my shoulders back. I can handle seemingly unrelated things so much better as a result of martial arts training, dumb stuff that used to absolutely stress me out like the bank making an error on my account, finding a new insurance company, the car making a disturbing sound. I can't explain it, but the more I'm training, the better I can handle life's wrinkles. I just feel stronger all around, muscles and mind. And braver. Because I try things on the mats I normally would never have pushed myself to attempt. And, I frequently shock myself by pulling off some of the daring stuff. Even something as simple as the fact that I can and do get up over and over again after getting thrown, pinned,and all around battered over and over again shows me that I'm tougher than I thought I was. Aikido helps me be stronger, braver, and tougher. Aikido is helping to grow me into being a tough chic, a woman with presence.

Wow. Nice post. I have similar feelings, but I posted something cheeky because it's the humor section. :D There are quite a few wonderful people in my life that would not be there if not for aikido (including my wife and daughter). I'm glad that your training has done so much for you. :)

Just remember to pass it on. ;)

xuzen 09-30-2006 12:51 AM

Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

10: I get to GRAB PEOPLE'S WRIST;

9: People get to GRAB MY WRIST;

8: I cause pain to PEOPLE and the are HAPPY;

7: PEOPLE cause pain to me and I am HAPPY;

6: PEOPLE applaud me when I SLAM them hard on the MAT;

5: I applaud PEOPLE when I get slam hard by them onto the MAT;

4: My Dojo has a NO SMOKING POLICY;

3: I am not a SMOKER;

2: I look fabulous in HAKAMA;

[spoiler]1: Said HAKAMA covers my potruding GUT ....Sigh![/spoiler]

Boon.

Carlos Rivera 09-30-2006 06:50 PM

Because you go in with a frown and come out with a smile. Hmm, if we could only broadcast that during rush hour on I-95 coming from DC. . . :cool: