AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   1 month in - I LOVE Aikdo! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10580)

graham 06-29-2006 07:25 AM

1 month in - I LOVE Aikdo!

Hi folks,

I thought that some people might be interested in my reflections 1 month in. (I had some pre-starting questions http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10362 .)

1 day about 8 weeks ago, my daughter and I were walking to the Library and she asked me if I had any "big lessons" to share with her. (She was being cheeky.) So, I told her I'd teach her one of the most important truths I live by: violence begets violence. We discussed what that means, talked about Ghandi, Jesus, MLK, etc. and then we arrived at the library where we saw a poster for "Ki Aikido" with Sensei Ian Walters.

That was the class that we ended up joining and we are both loving it. I think I can honestly say that I have never been so exhausted as I felt after my first lesson. I was sweating and breathing deeply for ages afterwards. But it was exhilarating. I've since noticed that during classes I can be simultaneously concentrating, knackered and completely relaxed all at the same time.

My daughter probably enjoys it more than me. She seems an absolute natural and has no problem with unbendable arm or not being lifted by two big blokes! :)

We are both impressed with Sensei Walters. I have no idea how he can be so patient with the Junior class! He seems to have a grasp on how appropriate to be in terms of strictness, etc. (E.g. he treats my daughter, me and a 3rd Dan quite differently.) One of the things that we both enjoy are the mini-lectures that he often gives at the end of classes. Yesterday's was on the strength that there is in remaining calm. They are generally always about the application of aikido to everyday living.

Anyway, last night we were down the pub and I asked Sensei a typical newbie question, "Have u ever had to use your Aikido outside of the dojo?" And his response was to tell me about a situation where he diffused a fight, through talking the othe guy down. I thought that was so cool.

Thanks for your encouragements, guys.

Shipley 06-29-2006 07:44 AM

Re: 1 month in - I LOVE Aikdo!

Graham,

Thanks for the great post. May you have many many years of feeling the same way after practice.

Sincerely,

Paul

graham 06-29-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Paul Shipley wrote:
May you have many many years of feeling the same way after practice.

You mean exhausted?! :eek:

;)

Shipley 06-29-2006 09:55 AM

Exactly! :D

Mike Hamer 06-29-2006 01:36 PM

After todays lesson (my fourth) I'll have been going for a month too. Gotta buy my Dogi today......man I wish I could find some more frequent lessons. :/

Mike Hamer 06-29-2006 01:48 PM

I would love to find a dojo like yours Graham, one that focuses on Ki. Right now I am reading a book called Ki in Daily life. I checked it out from my Dojo's library.

justin 06-29-2006 02:31 PM

cnograts on a good start chuffed for the pair of you, there are so many highs and lows yet to come for you both hope you take them all with such a good spirit.

MikeLogan 06-29-2006 03:05 PM

Ways to keep the fire burning brightly:
1) The occasional flower in a vase at breakfast.

2) Little notes here and there, now and then.

3) Consider every encounter a brand new experience.

4) Keep the toilet seat in the right place! (not especially necessary, but doesn't hurt)

5) Keep a sense of humour!

Glad you're enjoying yourselves, and keep it up.

michael.

guess one can't kid about # 3, or 5, and # 4, biggie that one.

Trish Greene 06-29-2006 03:54 PM

Graham!

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying Aikido! Also, keep up the good relationship with your daughterm it sounds like you are doing a good job already..

Mark Freeman 06-29-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Mike Logan wrote:
Ways to keep the fire burning brightly:
1) The occasional flower in a vase at breakfast.

2) Little notes here and there, now and then.

3) Consider every encounter a brand new experience.

4) Keep the toilet seat in the right place! (not especially necessary, but doesn't hurt)

5) Keep a sense of humour!

Glad you're enjoying yourselves, and keep it up.

michael.

The answer to #4 is 'UP'
this is an example of #5 :D

regards
Mark
p.s Glad things are starting off well Graham, I have a hunch that you will be with your Sensei for quite a long time ;)

CNYMike 06-30-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Graham Old wrote:
You mean exhausted?! :eek:

;)

Not to mention stiff, sore, achey, sweating like a pig ....

But you stuill feel good afterwards, don't you?

:)

justin 06-30-2006 03:42 AM

yes you do feel good i got that down as the 8th wonder of the world

graham 06-30-2006 08:10 AM

Mike, if I'm not mistaken "Ki in daily life" was written by Koichi Tohei, founder of the Ki Society. He had a great impact on Sensei Ken Williams, my Sensei's teacher (more here. I feel so fortunate to have stumbled upon this dojo.
Quote:

Thanks, Mike! I'm gonna go laminate that and ask Sensei if we can put it up on the wall! ;)

Mark, I share your hunch! Btw, I'm hoping to be in Sommerset at the end of September.

ksy 07-03-2006 02:01 AM

man, i'm at my one month too. i love it, the work out, the spritual side etc. wow. my only regret is that i didn't take it 10 years ago. cheers!