AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Oh my what a night (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10432)

Dajo251 05-31-2006 09:48 PM

Oh my what a night

So I went to train tonight and the dojo is usually open about an hour before class, well we got there early and no one was there sensei finally showed up about 15 min before class, So myself, and three other students show up, well one has been training for about a month the other two months and the third 2 weeks, so sensei asks me to lead warm-ups so I did, and then we went on with shikko and ukemi, well about 15 mins later sensei says that he is exhausted and asked if I would mind teaching(yeah thats right) the class, nothing major just Ikkyo and nikkyo and maybe somthing a little more fun later on, so I taught and it was great, apparenty I did really well which I am pretty damn proud of especially for just being thrown into it, We ended up doing ikkyo, nikkyo, Kotegaiesh(I know I butchered that) and finall kokyu ho....it was a fun night and everyone seemed to enjoy the class......it was an all around good night!

DonMagee 05-31-2006 09:58 PM

Re: Oh my what a night

Teaching is one of the best ways to refine your technique. Its amazing what you can learn by teaching another. They will always ask questions you have never thought to ask. It sounds like you had a great time.

Dajo251 05-31-2006 10:01 PM

I noticed that, I really had to think about my technique and focus on what I was doing, and yeah a few questions came up that I really had to think about. Sensei watched the whole thing and didnt step in to answer any questions, he let me figure out the answer on my own, or he just didnt feel I needed the help that made me really proud

Mark Freeman 06-01-2006 04:47 AM

Teaching aikido is the quickest way to understand the basic priciples that you have been practicing in all the preceeding years. You have to be able to 'do' what you are talking about. it makes you slow down and examine the core of each movement, and figure out how you will convey what you mean to another person.
I think I would have been really nervous if my sensei had been watching my first teaching attempt :eek: , so good on you Daniel for your 'breakthrough' session.

regards,

Mark

Dajo251 06-03-2006 03:17 PM

yeah he was watching and eating a calzone, it was a rather surreal scene

crbateman 06-04-2006 11:29 AM

How someone teaches a technique is as telling as how he actually does the technique. Being asked to teach can make you nervous, but also be a great help with self-expression and self-esteem. I would be willing to bet that your teacher did this as much for your benefit as he did to catch up on his rest. ;)

Lyle Bogin 06-06-2006 09:11 AM

Teaching people who want to learn is a wonderful experience.

These days I spend my time teaching those who don't wanna learn at all. The 'ol trial by fire.

James Davis 06-06-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Lyle Bogin wrote:
Teaching people who want to learn is a wonderful experience.

Yup. :)
Quote:

Lyle Bogin wrote:
These days I spend my time teaching those who don't wanna learn at all. The 'ol trial by fire.

I've been there myself. Hang in there. ;)