AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trying to Get the Tai Sabaki Straight (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10258)

David Kai 04-30-2006 08:46 PM

Trying to Get the Tai Sabaki Straight

I'm trying to get the following Tai Sabaki Names straight in my head:

Ushiro Tenkan #1 --- I know as stepping out and back 45 to the left from Migi Kamae. Is there another name?

Ushiro Tenkan # 2 --- I know as stepping back 45 to the right from Migi Kamae. Is there another name?

Koho Tenkan --- Is this stepping in Ayumi Ashi Tenkan to reverse the direction of the Uke?

What is the difference between Okuri Ashi and Tsugi Ashi?

KAI

Josh Reyer 05-01-2006 12:20 AM

Re: Trying to Get the Tai Sabaki Straight

Quote:

David Kai wrote:
What is the difference between Okuri Ashi and Tsugi Ashi?
KAI

Okuri-ashi - step with your front foot, and then bring your back foot into position.

Tsugi-ashi - bring your back foot up to your front foot, and then step forward with the front foot.

David Kai 05-01-2006 06:42 PM

Thanks Josh ... do you happen to know what the roots of the words are for Okuri and Tsugi?

KAI

Josh Reyer 05-02-2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

David Kai wrote:
Thanks Josh ... do you happen to know what the roots of the words are for Okuri and Tsugi?

KAI

Okuri 送り derives from the verb okuru, meaning "to send", but also has an older meaning of "to follow". So, I suppose one could think of it as "sending" the front foot first, or thinking of it as the back foot "following" the front foot.

Tsugi 継ぎ derives from the verb tsugu, which has a general modern meaning of "inherit", but has a broader meaning of "continuing, connecting". One way of looking at it, I suppose, is that the back foot "passes on" the movement to the front foot.

Steve Mullen 05-02-2006 09:39 AM

okay, so i totally didn't notice that this was in the language thread and set off writing down a few ways to get your tai sabaki straight, PHYSICALLY!!!! oh well, never mind eh! :D :D :D

David Kai 05-02-2006 05:54 PM

Thanks again Josh. That helps alot. Anyone out there got ideas for the Koho or Ushiro Tenkan?

KAI

giriasis 05-02-2006 07:15 PM

We refer to Ushiro Tenkan #1 as "Tenshin." You'll find this term used in Best Aikido by Moriteru Ueshiba and they define it as a "sweeping body turn." I have also heard of Ushiro Tenkan #2 called "tenshin" as well.

David Kai 05-06-2006 01:19 PM

Thanks Ann Marie. Do you happen to know what the root of the word is for Ten Shin? There are so many variants.

KAI

giriasis 05-06-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

David Kai wrote:
Thanks Ann Marie. Do you happen to know what the root of the word is for Ten Shin? There are so many variants.

KAI

I have no clue what the root for "tenshin" is.

Josh Reyer 05-06-2006 03:09 PM

"Tenshin" is simply a noun: 転身 - ten = turn, pivot (as in "tenkan" 転換), shin = body.

odudog 06-01-2006 10:35 AM

Koho means way behind you. Immediately behind you would be ushiro.