AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   inner spirals (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23781)

Mary Eastland 08-06-2014 02:51 PM

inner spirals

I pushed on Ron's shoulder softly trying to feel which way he was inwardly moving. He subtly corrected each time I found the tiny internal movement. The cool thing is that I could feel the internal spirals.
Then he did the same with me. Have you ever tried this?

Janet Rosen 08-07-2014 11:15 AM

Re: inner spirals

This sounds similar to some things but I am not sure from the words you have used what the larger purpose of your exercise is, so wonder if you can possibly articulate more fully to say:
Was the purpose of his movement to connect with you, to find you, to evade you or to unbalance you?
When you say you "found" his movement was it that you felt it or that it actually affected you - and if it affected you by unbalancing you (as opposed to making you tense up or resist), why would he want to "correct" it?

Mary Eastland 08-07-2014 03:57 PM

I felt the movement. I gently pushed to unbalance him a little and he would correct being a little tiny bit unbalanced with re-centering. I could feel the inner spirals. There was no outward motion.

sakumeikan 08-07-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 338849)
I felt the movement. I gently pushed to unbalance him a little and he would correct being a little tiny bit unbalanced with re-centering. I could feel the inner spirals. There was no outward motion.

Dear Mary,
??????????????Hope you do not mind me saying this I find the last couple of your blogs as clear as mud.I hope I have not offended you by this statement.Certainly that is the last thing I would want to do. Cheers, Joe

Mary Eastland 08-07-2014 04:19 PM

No offence taken, Joe...

SeiserL 08-07-2014 05:04 PM

Spirals ... yes!

Janet Rosen 08-07-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 338849)

OK, thank you, that is more clear.
Yes, with an honest partner willing to take time and give good feedback, much can be felt and much can be learned.

dps 08-07-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Mary Eastland wrote: (Post 338820)
I pushed on Ron's shoulder softly trying to feel which way he was inwardly moving. He subtly corrected each time I found the tiny internal movement. The cool thing is that I could feel the internal spirals.
Then he did the same with me. Have you ever tried this?

Growing up on a farm raising, training and showing horses, one of the things I learned from being around them was to keep a hand touching them when close to feel the inner movements of their bodies. If I was to push them I could feel the subtle corrections they would make and I could predict when and what direction they were going to move in.

dps

lbb 08-08-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 338871)
Growing up on a farm raising, training and showing horses, one of the things I learned from being around them was to keep a hand touching them when close to feel the inner movements of their bodies. If I was to push them I could feel the subtle corrections they would make and I could predict when and what direction they were going to move in.

That sounds the skill of riding with your legs (to both sense and communicate) -- a skill that I certainly have never had enough time in the saddle to develop, but that I very much admire.

dps 08-08-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 338876)
That sounds the skill of riding with your legs (to both sense and communicate) -- a skill that I certainly have never had enough time in the saddle to develop, but that I very much admire.

No I meant while standing on the ground near the horses. It is best to keep a hand on them as you are moving around them to know when they are going to move so you don't get stepped on or kicked.

dps

lbb 08-08-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 338880)
No I meant while standing on the ground near the horses. It is best to keep a hand on them as you are moving around them to know when they are going to move so you don't get stepped on or kicked.

Yes, I understand. It still sounds like it's related to the skill of riding.