AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   newbie (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157)

slider7 07-29-2000 07:51 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and I just started training in aikido last week.

In two years time I will be going to university which will be away from home. Therefore, I will not be able to continue training at my local dojo until the term ends. Could anyone tell me how easy it is to pick up aikido again if you have a fairly gap of training in between (probably several months)? I could try and find a dojo in the university area - has anyone mixed dojos before? Is it confusing? Any other comments?

Thanks a lot
Rian

Russell 07-29-2000 09:23 AM

Re-learning Aikido...

Good morning Rian-

I began taking aikido again about six weeks ago. My previous training actually was in college- TWENTY YEARS AGO!!

I found that its alot like riding a bike- once you learn, you never really forget. EVERYTHING came back rather quickly. So, not to worry. I would encourage you to find a dojo where you're going. I deeply regret having let my training lapse as I did.

Best wishes-

Russell

Russ 07-29-2000 01:37 PM

Hi Slider7,

Hopefully there will be a university club where you are going. Join it and train there. If you really like doing aikido don't stop! It will probably be a little bit different from what you've just started but fundamentally (I think) all aikido is the same. When you're done university for the term go back to your home dojo and you'll likely see the differences are less than the similarities.

Good luck!

guest1234 07-29-2000 03:09 PM

I've been lucky enough to move around quite a bit since I've been training in Aikido, so I've been able to see several different styles. I think the important part is realizing beforehand that things may be different, and keep eyes and mind open to the similarities, which I have found always outnumber the differences. Look at the differences as a whole new way to do things (expanding your capabilities)---and if someone tells you that you are doing something wrong, when you are doing as you had been taught, tell yourself they meant to use the words 'different from what was shown' and don't let it get to you.

chillzATL 07-30-2000 08:04 PM

Well, like someone said, it's like riding a bike. You never really forget the tecniques, maybe the finer points. My biggest problem is timing and lots of smaller things. Remembering to breathe, staying relaxed, keeping my center, etc.

adriangan 07-31-2000 08:46 AM

give your body time to adjust

Quote:

chillzATL wrote:
Well, like someone said, it's like riding a bike. You never really forget the tecniques, maybe the finer points. My biggest problem is timing and lots of smaller things. Remembering to breathe, staying relaxed, keeping my center, etc.
I totally agree with chillzATL, I would just like to add that when trying to resume your training, your body's reaction might not be the same. I usually train regularly about 3-4 times a week then there was this time that I "rested" for about 1-2 months, and when I came back, I easily got tired and dizzy (and this was just after the preliminary exercises!). So my advice is...give your body time to adjust, just don't force yourself to train at the same level as you left, start slow and progressively increase your training level.

-Adrian

Greg Jennings 08-01-2000 05:42 AM

Quote:

slider7 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to this group and I just started training in aikido last week.

Well, welcome to Aikido and welcome to the forums!

Quote:

slider7 wrote:

In two years time I will be going to university which will be away from home. Therefore, I will not be able to continue training at my local dojo until the term ends. Could anyone tell me how easy it is to pick up aikido again if you have a fairly gap of training in between (probably several months)? I could try and find a dojo in the university area - has anyone mixed dojos before? Is it confusing? Any other comments?

Thanks a lot
Rian

My advice is to do what you can to train while at the university. If you can't train at an Aikido club/dojo there, then do something related e.g.: judo, hapkido, etc. Failing that, get a video of your dojo's jo and ken kata and practice them diligently and get your instructor to check your progress on trips home for holidays.

After training for a year and a half, I had an nine month lapse for graduate school and it was almost like starting over. The only thing that helped was attending some seminars on weekends and hanging out on Aikido-L (http://www.aikido-l.org. Plug, plug).

Some famous pianist said "When I skip practice for one day, I can tell; two days and my mother can tell; three days and anyone can tell!".

Greg Jennings
http://www.capitalcityaikido.com - Iwama Style Aikido in Montgomery, AL
jenningsgreg@home.com

Goye 08-01-2000 08:09 AM

Welcome to a big family

Hi Rian!!

Congratulations for starting in aikido training. I'm sure that if you really want, you will find the way to get close to a dojo. You can choose a College with an Aikido Club. It's eassy.

Bye!!

janet 08-02-2000 10:27 AM

Hi, Ryan.
I'm solidly on the side of finding a dojo near your school or a school-based aikido club:
Since you have only been training a short time, I would not worry too much about whether the style or affiliation of a university-based club is different from your home dojo. You won't have had a chance to internalize too many habits yet, and if you can find a good "home away from home" dojo you will be able to continue to progress.

best of luck--with aikido and with your studies