AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements & Feedback (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is going on (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898)

Dajo251 05-25-2001 08:34 AM

What is going on

I have noticed a lack of new threads at the moment and was just curious what the cause of this was.

Dan

akiy 05-25-2001 09:21 AM

It's always hard to say. People are busy? Out of town? On vacation?

If people out there do have interesting aikido discussion topics, though, I do encourage them to post them up -- especially all of you folks who have registered but haven't posted anything yet!

-- Jun

ian 05-30-2001 12:39 PM

Error?

I submitted a new thread (30/5/01 in the UK), but it didn't come up on the list in the home page. Is there are problem here? (see Teaching)

Ian

ian 05-30-2001 12:40 PM

and that didn't put this thread on the home page either.

Ian

akiy 05-30-2001 12:45 PM

I've modified the script that shows the "Active Forum Threads" on the front page to only show the threads that have a certain number of posts in them...

-- Jun

ian 05-31-2001 05:52 AM

I previously used to glance at the front page to see what was 'new', but with this method that won't be possible - instead we'll have increasing contributions to these monstrously long threads. Unfortunately I tend to avoid the longer threads now 'cos they often diverge into something completely different and it is time consuming to read them all.

I think the effect will be that people start looking by subject area for the latest threads, which will then make the front page bit redundant. Also, I have found this site very useful myself for the quick response to a query, and once it has been answered it tends to disappear from the title page anyway, 'cos the replies dry up.

I prefer the previous system (or possibly even removing the longer threads e.g. >40 replies, from the title page). I realise this isn't a democracy, and I'm very grateful for the benefits aikiweb has to offer due to you and the other administators hard work, but does anybody else agree?

Ian

ian 05-31-2001 05:57 AM

In fact, is there any point writing the above, 'cos I don't think I've visited feedback before, and since it doesn't come on to the title page it's likely that there will not be any responses.

Suddenly aikiweb feels like a very lonely place ...

Ian

akiy 05-31-2001 08:07 AM

Does it make any difference in what you're saying that using the [View New Posts] link at the top will get you a list of all of the new posts since you last visited?

-- Jun

ian 06-01-2001 07:51 AM

Apologies for my ignorance, I've not used those bits before. However I still think promoting the larger and more unweildy threads on the title page is not beneficial.

Ian

ian 06-01-2001 07:53 AM

P.S. I also note that the 'view new posts' option is not available on the title page.

Ian