AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17675)

t_jordan22 02-08-2010 01:12 PM

should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

ttht

Russ Q 02-08-2010 01:15 PM

Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Should you smoke it on any journey....? Definitely not when you're crossing any borders...:-)

Cheers,

Russ

SeiserL 02-08-2010 01:58 PM

IMHO, no.

Lyle Laizure 02-08-2010 02:38 PM

no

ChrisHein 02-08-2010 02:42 PM

There are lots of avenues of experience out there. The ones you choose are up to you.

SteveTrinkle 02-08-2010 03:04 PM

Should you smoke marijuana before posting on aikiweb?

George S. Ledyard 02-09-2010 12:23 AM

You show up high on the mat and you are sent home.

Josh Lerner 02-09-2010 12:45 AM

When I was in undergraduate school, my advisor (whose specialties were Daoism, tantric Buddhism and various fringe Asian religious practices like Tachikawa-ryu) handed me a manuscript that had been sent to him from an American in Taiwan. The author was engaged in a fairly intensive Daoist meditation and qigong practice, and an even more intensive psilocybin ingestion practice. The manuscript was a relatively detailed account of various amounts of mushrooms being ingested and the effects on his practices. I remember it being very well written, fascinating, and disturbing all at the same time. I wish I'd kept a copy.

This was the same advisor who handed me a copy of The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, a book insisting that Christianity started off as a hallucinogenic mushroom cult, based on linguistic and iconographical evidence. He was a wild advisor.

Josh

dalen7 02-09-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Stephen Trinkle wrote: (Post 251898)

ROFL!!! :D

Break...

ROFL!!! :D

... ok, laughter has subsided.

Now, as for good ol' THC, I have to say I have been impressed with what I have read since around 1999 about its uses medicinally.
[I worked in a medical environment delivering daily animated news stories to Dr.s and a few THC ones came across my desk.]

Articles from JAMA, LANCET, NATURE, SCIENCE, etc. - they have great stuff in there the average american doesnt read, nor would I think the industry would want them to read.

I think there is a time and place for everything, and the apparent misuse of something helps to generate a certain negative feeling to something that definitely has a positive role, but is hindered due to various 'political' reasons. [mainly $$$, thats why they have synthesized it... you dont make money if you can grow your own] ;)

As for using it on your Aikido journey, you must be aware of your current environment. [i.e., are you in the Netherlands? If not you may be limited to your journeys as far as THC is concerned...]

My personal beliefs is that nature should not and cannot be illegal.
And in a strange sense we are illegal as we have DMT naturally occurring in our brains - and DMT is illegal in many states as I understand it.

Again you can get into the theory of all of this, but the fact is things are where they are and you have to make your choices accordingly knowing this.

From how I understand it, THC would be best used for medicine... not necessarily enlightenment which is something that is up to you and not an outside source anyway.

As for guides it would seem that natures magical mushrooms can act as a guide, albeit I do believe they are now pretty much illegal everywhere as well. [though people playing with shrooms gets less as many appear not to be prepared for the trip they will take.]

I have been intrigued with the stories I have read about psilocybin and its potential use for people with O.C.D. [obsessive compulsive disorder] - I believe I can see how this would work... a good breaking of the ego. [kind of like what Ram Dass talks about with his LSD experience, though not everyone is ready for ego dissolution.] ;)

Peace

dAlen

dps 02-09-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Andrew Gordan wrote: (Post 251888)
ttht

To what end?
In hopes of doing Aikido better?

jxa127 02-09-2010 06:22 AM

What the hell is "ttht"?

In answer to the question: no. It smells bad.

dps 02-09-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Drew Ames wrote: (Post 251934)
What the hell is "ttht"?

Inhaling.

David

ruthmc 02-09-2010 07:07 AM

As it destroys your ability to focus and your motivation to do anything much at all, I'd suggest not!

Ruth

oisin bourke 02-09-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Ruth Rae wrote: (Post 251937)
As it destroys your ability to focus and your motivation to do anything much at all, I'd suggest not!

Ruth

It doesn't destroy your motivation. It makes you realise most things aren't worth bothering about:D

Ketsan 02-09-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Josh Lerner wrote: (Post 251921)
This was the same advisor who handed me a copy of The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, a book insisting that Christianity started off as a hallucinogenic mushroom cult, based on linguistic and iconographical evidence.

Josh

Then they got started on the wine, after that the whole party kinda went down hill. :D

Janet Rosen 02-09-2010 09:40 AM

Yrs ago I once bowed out of class and left because the instructor looked and acted totally stoned. Never went to another class w/ that person.

Keith Larman 02-09-2010 11:30 AM

If you come on the mat impaired, well, I'm with George -- you should find the door asap. I don't care why you're impaired or what you're impaired from -- I don't want you hurt nor do I want you doing anything to or with anyone else. If you're not 100% there do everyone a favor and stay home. Enjoy it in private, but I don't want you cranking on my elbow...

Other than that, well, it kinda depends on the answer to the "to what end" question, neh? Few really doubt there can be medical reasons to use marijuana. The problem is that like some drugs it can impair the user. So see paragraph 1 up above...

mickeygelum 02-09-2010 11:51 AM

Dude...I wanna...TTHT...COUGH...train with you guys, where...TTHT...BWOOPPP... is your dojo located? :cool:

Nick P. 02-09-2010 12:34 PM

#1. No

#2.

Mannix Moya 02-09-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Stephen Trinkle wrote: (Post 251898)

:D

aikidoc 02-09-2010 07:09 PM

Agree with George. Under the influence of anything-drugs, alcohol, mushrooms, etc. is not only disrespectful to the art and dojo but dangerous to your fellow classmates and yourself. Stay home and contemplate your navel.

Johann Baptista 02-09-2010 09:13 PM

I say no because I know (and stay away from) many people who smoke it regularly and they are exactly like said above; slow-witted, unmotivated, and addicted.

I believe it is a disrespect to the traditions that bore the art. Besides, it smells bad, makes you dependent on it thereby limiting your freedom, and is plain unhealthy. Gives you a shorter life span, reduced lung capacity, and decreased potential. Plus, there's the fact that its illegal. You also have to keep contacts with drug dealers and there's a much higher potential to get into trouble with gangs. Is all this really worth the few minutes of being high? I say no.

Johann Baptista 02-09-2010 09:18 PM

By the way, why is this thread on "Spiritual" instead of "Off the mat?":confused:

mathewjgano 02-09-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Johann Baptista wrote: (Post 251994)
By the way, why is this thread on "Spiritual" instead of "Off the mat?":confused:

For the Rasta Aikidoists of course! Bob played here man!
Well sensei Barrish has expressed a pretty strong opinion against it, i believe because of its effects on attention and focus.
I've got some experience with it and I can't see any benefit, while I do see plenty of drawbacks, most notably the damage done to the lungs from smoking.

Chicko Xerri 02-09-2010 10:18 PM

To help purify the senses and interpret the higher self, one requires fresh clean air, water, forests, mountains and on occasions solitude. Practice Aikido rigorously while youthful; contemplate with inner vision on all your experience when aged.
Marijuana has its place with human lives, not with those intent on the way of Aiki.
For me I would say NO! .