AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New at Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22165)

alselec 01-12-2013 06:38 PM

New at Aikido

I'm 59 and started Aikido about 4 months ago and really like it. But it is tough especially on us older guys. Still learning the culture edicate etc. I'm reading a book on it now about the founder, but would like to get a good book on culture, edicate, etc, along with maybe some techniques. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Al

robin_jet_alt 01-12-2013 07:07 PM

Re: New at Aikido

Hi Al,

Do you mean etiquette? Are you thinking aikido etiquette or Japanese etiquette in general?

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is always a good place to start if you are looking for a general aikido book.. It has its flaws, but it is a good overview. What style do you do? I would get whatever your teacher recommends as appropriate for your style.

Robin

tlk52 01-12-2013 07:10 PM

for etiquette:

a good one is "the aikido students handbook" by Greg O'Conner

available on Amazon etc...

Mary Eastland 01-13-2013 01:11 PM

Part of being part of a dojo is learning that dojo's culture. Each dojo has a flavor of it's own. Stay open and learn by experience as well as reading. And welcome to Aikiweb!

odudog 01-13-2013 01:39 PM

The best way to learn your dojo etiquette is to ask tons of questions. Each dojo, organization, and style have different rules. Hopefully your sensei knows the answers, if not, find a blackbelt who is into the culture, language, etc. of Japan.

lbb 01-14-2013 08:10 AM

My dojo has a very brief one-page handout explaining the most common points of etiquette as practiced in our dojo - if your dojo has something similar, that's your best reference. If not, you might take a look at some other dojos' etiquette info (you can probably find quite a few on dojo websites, or I'd be happy to share ours if you'd like it). Bear in mind, though, that practices vary from dojo to dojo -- some dojos line up with seniors to the right, others to the left, and that's just one example. Etiquette and culture are definitely a "when in Rome" thing.

Malicat 01-14-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 321974)
My dojo has a very brief one-page handout explaining the most common points of etiquette as practiced in our dojo - if your dojo has something similar, that's your best reference. If not, you might take a look at some other dojos' etiquette info (you can probably find quite a few on dojo websites, or I'd be happy to share ours if you'd like it). Bear in mind, though, that practices vary from dojo to dojo -- some dojos line up with seniors to the right, others to the left, and that's just one example. Etiquette and culture are definitely a "when in Rome" thing.

Ours has a handout as well, but I would advise just paying very close attention to what everyone else does. My Sensei is very very relaxed about a lot of points of etiquette, but we get a bit more traditional when we do camps, or train at other schools in the organization.

My biggest rule of thumb is, always bow, and never turn your back on the instructor. If you are going from seiza to cross legged, seated to standing, about to start waza with another student, just always make sure to bow. Also, if you have any physical issues with things, let your Sensei know before class. I've currently got a fairly bad knee, so I can't do a sayu nage on my right side, nor can I do things like shikko. Sensei knows my issues, and isn't worried when I bow out of certain things to sit on the edge of the mat. It is important for the instructor to know your physical limitations before class so s/he doesn't have to interrupt class because they are worried about something they should have already known about.

--Ashley

hughrbeyer 01-14-2013 08:30 PM

And for heaven's sake, feel free to ask a senior. Etiquette is totally random--you can't logic it out. Just ask.