AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Aiki in Manga (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20422)

graham christian 10-15-2011 06:06 AM

Aiki in Manga

Some may find this funny, some interesting. But it is manga afterall.

http://youtu.be/K2DADD_I4KA

Regards.G.

Cliff Judge 10-15-2011 06:44 AM

Re: Aiki in Manga

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 294609)
Some may find this funny, some interesting. But it is manga afterall.

http://youtu.be/K2DADD_I4KA

Regards.G.

It's anime. Manga is printed media.

graham christian 10-15-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Cliff Judge wrote: (Post 294612)
It's anime. Manga is printed media.

Thanks for the correction. I'm merely a novice on these things, I was going to call it a cartoon but thought I'd look foolish so I went clever and got proved to be foolish. Ha,ha.

Regards.G.

Abasan 10-15-2011 09:16 AM

It's an anime from the original manga grappler baki, which I think is pretty good. The man himself is an aiki jujitsu guy, but was modeled after Gozo shioda... More apparent in the manga,
This dub really sucks though...

Actually there is an aikido manga... But it was pretty short-lived.

graham christian 10-15-2011 09:23 AM

Interesting Ahmad. In fact I thought of Gozo Shioda when he did the toe trick.

Regards.G.

Krystal Locke 10-15-2011 12:33 PM

Evil Heart is an interesting aikido manga.

Ai Ki is a very long running manga, but only very tangentially associated with aikido concepts.

THere is an older manga I vaguely remember about an aikido instructor, weird, lots of student teacher inappropriateness if I recall correctly. Cant think of the name.

Abasan 10-15-2011 07:18 PM

Yeah evil heart was what I was thinking about...

Aiki though was terrible. Sure he used 'aiki' to defeat people in ways that defied their understanding... But the story was such a farce. And there were no principles of aiki apparent. It seems as if the author saw aiki once and thought what a cool thing to use for my project without knowing what it really was.

Throw in a lot of crazy violence and sex...and he basically made garbage.

One of my fav manga to date is not aikido based but hajjime ippo which is boxing. And this is because it's very technical and the author must have really understood boxing.

graham christian 10-16-2011 07:04 PM

Ah well, I suppose I've got a lot of catching up to do. The last comic I read was the Beano and apart from the odd film that may come out now and again the last cartoons I used to watch were Tom and Jerry and Wacky races.

Regards.G.

niall 10-16-2011 08:06 PM

Hey you guys are good. My column this month is about budo and manga and animé. Hajime no Ippo is even mentioned in it. Jun will put all the columns up soon. Nice job of anticipation and catching vibrations on the other side of the world.

dapidmini 10-16-2011 08:38 PM

have you guys read a manga called Kenji? it's awesome. the principles taught there is great.. although it only mentions aikijujitsu in the beginning. it's about various martial arts but mostly it's about the various kungfu style..

Cliff Judge 10-17-2011 12:45 PM

Do not miss out on the epic manga Vagabond which is a comic version of that novel about Musashi, if you are a fan of comics and have not for some bizarre reason not read this yet.

graham christian 10-17-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Niall Matthews wrote: (Post 294661)
Hey you guys are good. My column this month is about budo and manga and animé. Hajime no Ippo is even mentioned in it. Jun will put all the columns up soon. Nice job of anticipation and catching vibrations on the other side of the world.

Ha,ha. Now that I look forward to.

Regards.G.

Krystal Locke 11-29-2011 11:40 AM

I've been catching up on History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. Not aikido specific, but fun martial arts. Who wouldn't like Appachai?

graham christian 03-09-2012 05:25 PM

AIKIMAN.............http://youtu.be/nrZHs-y5su8

Chris Li 03-09-2012 05:33 PM

I think that I've posted these before, but here are some scans from "Ueshiba Morihei Monogatari", the manga version of the life of Morihei Ueshiba.

Best,

Chris

nerez3 09-04-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Ahmad Abas wrote: (Post 294644)
Yeah evil heart was what I was thinking about...

Aiki though was terrible. Sure he used 'aiki' to defeat people in ways that defied their understanding... But the story was such a farce. And there were no principles of aiki apparent. It seems as if the author saw aiki once and thought what a cool thing to use for my project without knowing what it really was.

Throw in a lot of crazy violence and sex...and he basically made garbage.

One of my fav manga to date is not aikido based but hajjime ippo which is boxing. And this is because it's very technical and the author must have really understood boxing.

Aiki is seriously such a bad manga. The only thing close related to aikido is the name. The main character literally goes around having sex with every woman in the manga, atleast in the first few chapters. I stopped trying at that point. Mixed in with some redicilously BAD, and I mean BADD action scenes where they attempt at a failed hokuto no ken, it is something nobody should be forced to read.

I did however like evil heart and ippo is well...ippo. You don't get much better than ippo.

oisin bourke 09-05-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 305104)
I think that I've posted these before, but here are some scans from "Ueshiba Morihei Monogatari", the manga version of the life of Morihei Ueshiba.

Best,

Chris

If I remember correctly, The authors managed to cover Ueshiba's whole life without including a single foreigner. Pretty impressive:)